The simple and advanced approach to FM

I don't really understand how this phenomenon happens.

I am involved with EVERY SINGLE aspect of the game, from squeezing off that half star for every training regime to managing all my youth stars individually.

I am using Mr. Hough's tactics which I tweaked slightly for even better results.

But I simply can't seem to win the CL.

I am playing Chelsea with an amazing squad (doesn't matter what players) that has more stars than the Galacticos of Real Madrid's past.

I always seem to lose out to a random good European club in quarterfinals or semis.

Now, on the other hand I have my cousin who also has a good squad, but his involvement in the game is buying players, moving the "shirts" on the formation screen and pressing continue.

Basically all he does with the formation screen is move the players around, he doesn't even know the team and players settings exist.

AND HE HAS WON THE CL 3 YEARS IN A ROW!! And had a lossless season in the EPL.

How can this be??

Probably luck, but there is no way to know without a lot more information on both of your games.

Off the top of my head, maybe he manages fitness levels/rest better, that could be crucial around the time of season you are in the knockout stages.

He is a better manager? Perhaps he is making crucial tactical adjustments through the game and has a simple yet effective tactic rather than relying on a downloaded tactic and expecting results.

Or maybe he is luckier. Winning the CL can rely on a bit of luck, look at Chelsea this year or Liverpool in 2005. They didn't have the best players but managed to win. Every good team has an off day and it could be that your team is having theirs at the worst possible time. Or maybe your players are getting complacent because they win games so easily and the complacency kicks in at the wrong time.

You aren't involved in "EVERY SINGLE aspect" at all, as you openly admit that you use someone elses tactics.

^This... Downloading someone elses tactics rather than taking the time to match your best formation and set-up to exploit weakness, is where you are going wrong.

LOL, Mr Hough is managing his team on the training ground 7 days a week, but other that that he is involved in every single aspect :)

But he also gave Mr Hough a few pointers and suggestions, so that makes it all right, doesn't it?

I think this could be down to team unity, and the 'bonus' your squad gets from signing a new player. If he is making signings whereas your team is already assembled he may be getting a slight morale boost from that, but the real question would be, why is his team unity better (if that is the case)? Is he more consistent in his team-building perhaps, do his players mesh together better?

One of the first things I look at when scouting a player is his personality, and whether he will fit in with the rest of the squad. One of the first things!

You aren't involved in "EVERY SINGLE aspect" at all, as you openly admit that you use someone elses tactics.

Archived