Too easy for players in any kind of play style.

I've been thinking that in the FM world, players have too much of an easy time blending into new team/manager systems/styles.

We have often hear how England in real life can't play possesion game and such. Why do they not be able to play like that? They don't have the mental attributes? Poor passing stats? Can't handle the pressure? The truth is that they have very good players and there is no doubt about that.

Many of you might say because of Hodgson's hodgeball style/tactics? But England at times did try to retain the ball but just couldn't do it. The players just don't look comfortable or confident in doing so. If you were to manage England in FM, you can easily make them play anyway you like. Right now, good players who had played ABC style of football all his life will be rated to have good mental attributes that will apply to any kind play. However, in real life he will be suspectible in XYZ style of play.

Maybe it's time for FM to take a step up. The players should be given player play style (PPS) familiarity list and what play style is his natural, accomplished etc. PPS is different than PPM. PPS should HEAVILY influence how that player performs in game. You guys can chip in with the style of plays. =)

Example, A player with low "Ball retention" play style familiarity will struggle in retaining the ball, grow nervous in such play style. You can say he is not comfortable. While players with high such play style will show much more confidence.

In other words, now you need to train the players and train the tactic to make your team play a certain style. After all, they say you need the right kind of players for the right kind of play style, not just any (good) players. Looking at their physical, mental and technical stats are no longer good enough.

I've been thinking that in the FM world, players have too much of an easy time blending into new team/manager systems/styles.

We have often hear how England in real life can't play possesion game and such. Why do they not be able to play like that? They don't have the mental attributes? Poor passing stats? Can't handle the pressure? The truth is that they have very good players and there is no doubt about that.

Many of you might say because of Hodgson's hodgeball style/tactics? But England at times did try to retain the ball but just couldn't do it. The players just don't look comfortable or confident in doing so. If you were to manage England in FM, you can easily make them play anyway you like. Right now, good players who had played ABC style of football all his life will be rated to have good mental attributes that will apply to any kind play. However, in real life he will be suspectible in XYZ style of play.

Maybe it's time for FM to take a step up. The players should be given player play style (PPS) familiarity list and what play style is his natural, accomplished etc. PPS is different than PPM. PPS should HEAVILY influence how that player performs in game. You guys can chip in with the style of plays. =)

Example, A player with low "Ball retention" play style familiarity will struggle in retaining the ball, grow nervous in such play style. You can say he is not comfortable. While players with high such play style will show much more confidence.

In other words, now you need to train the players and train the tactic to make your team play a certain style. After all, they say you need the right kind of players for the right kind of play style, not just any (good) players. Looking at their physical, mental and technical stats are no longer good enough.

An interesting idea, but it would be need to be implemented very carefully. Would be easy enough for players like Xavi, Iniesta, messi, Ronaldo etc big players where it is quite obvious what their style is. but what about players maybe further down the pyramid or more rounded players who could slot into nearly every team in the world.

I know what your getting at and I think if implemented carefully it could improve the game, I do agree that seeing my blackburn side retain the ball like Barca in the second/third season is slightly unrealistic.

Interesting. I think the attributes available are probably sufficient to do what you want them to do, but maybe they need to be implemented differently in the match engine to give a more realistic appearance. Ball retention should be a combination of passing, first touch, technique, composure, off the ball, etc.

I think it is managers who should have a more distinguishable "play style", and the players that each manager looks to sign should match that style in terms of their attributes. When Stoke under Pulis are out-passing my Arsenal side in the second season you know there is a problem (I mean apart from my tactics) because they just don't even try to play that way in real life.

Interesting. I think the attributes available are probably sufficient to do what you want them to do, but maybe they need to be implemented differently in the match engine to give a more realistic appearance. Ball retention should be a combination of passing, first touch, technique, composure, off the ball, etc.

I think it is managers who should have a more distinguishable "play style", and the players that each manager looks to sign should match that style in terms of their attributes. When Stoke under Pulis are out-passing my Arsenal side in the second season you know there is a problem (I mean apart from my tactics) because they just don't even try to play that way in real life.

I think thats a much better idea actually. No offence to the OP but implementing a manager style would be easier and would probably work better. Every club Big Sam goes to play direct football, whereas Ill put a lot of money on Liverpool passing teams of the park this coming season.

Yes, managers in FM have to have a play style that they will play. However, without the player play style familiarity the AI managers will have trouble assembling their squad.

Right now, AI managers only look at CA, PA, reputation because there is nothing that identifies player play style. That's why in the long run, AI teams no longer have identity. It's just mix and mash, plug and play.

For human managers, there is less challenge. Given good enough stats, all players can almost play the same way. Gerrard can play similar to Xavi. Xavi can play like Gerrard. In real life, they are very different and both will not come close if they try to mimic each other. Player play style helps to create player's individuality even more.

It might be tricky to implement, but I believe it's the way to the future for FM.

What I'm tring to get across is that players that have a tendency to play direct like in England, if they were to be told to play short passing possession game like in Spain, they have no trouble doing so. What to anticipate is different and what is a good decision is different in a direct style and a passing possesion style. Right now, their game intelligence in game is the same, while in real life it's different.

I often believe, although it has no effect at all, that playing people who are used to playing with each other, in a system they know, has a higher likelihood of success than playing strangers. So to use a real-life example, Rooney and Welbeck stand a better chance of doing well for England than Rooney and A.N Other would, even if the other guy is better. Equally I play the same formation for my national team as I do for my club side, so half the squad are at least used to the formation and roles.

In game, this just doesn't work like that. 11 new players who don't speak the same language will blend together as well as 11 close mates.

I'd agree that the attributes already cover this. Spanish players tend to have better passing / technical abilities whilst English players may have better work rate and physical attributes which would gear them to suit a different style. It's then up to the manager to decide whether the players in the squad have the right attributes, I'd rather work this out for myself than have the game tell me.

Obviously players at the top level like Xavi and Gerrard have such good attributes across the board that they would be able to fit pretty much any style.

I thought this kinda already happens. When viewing assistant advice during a match doesn't it say that player x is used to playing a abc tempo/passing ect. I do agree with implementing manager styles so that teams are more certain to play direct or possession based games.

I do agree with players blending into styles to easily. Most players do have a preferred formation(s) that can play in and ones they hate to play in. So it would be a PPF saying player x plays best in a 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-1 formation and has dislikes playing in formation 4-5-1. And over time others formation could be learnt. I play rb in real life and I hated playing in a formation that used a sweeper. I would play worse in that formation then say a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 which play to my strengths. Ultimate team mode in fifa have roughly implemented this with players having preferred formations and playing better with those formations.

Obviously players at the top level like Xavi and Gerrard have such good attributes across the board that they would be able to fit pretty much any style.

Though Gerrard is notorious for playing Hollywood passes a lot of the time and being very indisciplined with his positioning, so didn't fit into Capello's system. Perhaps more work could be done to make players unique like that.

bjquick is right, this is already implements to an extent.

Archived