Do I Have To Be English for a Realistic Save?

My nationality IRL is American, and I usually start each save with a club in the BSN/BSS as I prefer to start with a small club, and this is not possible with the MLS. Every time I start a save in the ensligh league as an American I never get any job offers. After about three seasons, often with at least two promotions, I get frustrated and give up as I don't receive any job offers at all. I tried a similar save as an experiment, but switched my nationality to English, and I was getting job offers constantly starting in the middle of my season season, often times from clubs one or two leagues above the league in which I was managing. Also, my Manager knowledge of England never increases when I play with an American nationality, which I believe I read was a bug.

I'm not asking whether this is realistic as it clearly isn't, but I'm just wondering if others have had similar experiences they'd like to share or if anyone understands how the game works with respect to manager nationality and job offers. I'm starting to think that if I want to start a game in the english lower leagues I am forced to create an English Manager to have a realistic save.

What do you set your reputation as?

If you set your nationality only as American, the game will assume (and fairly so) that you are based in America. If you have a low reputation, it is highly unlikely that any English clubs even at Blue Square North/South level will know anything about you, or take your applications seriously.

Always start with automatic rep. I don't start unemployed though. I start with a BSN/BSS side and even after three seasons and three consecutive promotions I still get no job offers from other clubs whereas if I start a similar save with an English nationality I get many job offers after just a season or so.

Your reputation in England is probably still very low with only three lower-league seasons to show for. The starting reputation affects your chosen nationality only, not the league you decide to manage in.

In my long-term game I am Brazilian-Argentinian, and whenever I am spoken of in the media I am described as the greatest Brazilian manager ever (after having won the Premier League and CL and most other competitions several seasons in a row). I was offered the job as manager for England, though, so clearly the reputation does rise in the nation you play in regardless of nationality. It just starts out at zero if you aren't managing in your own nation, and three years just isn't enough.

Yeah I think the other answers are correct. There are three different Reputation scores for each person in the game: Home (USA), World, Current (England). As Biggus said, your reputation in America is probably higher than it is in the country you're currently in. If you're English, your home and current reputation will be the same so you'll be more 'famous'.

Choosing nationality does make a difference. I always put a 2nd. nationality to help with job offers from abroad. I have found that French clubs rarely appoint non-French managers so that is often my 2nd. nationality.

It's maybe not fair but most posters in this thread give reasonable explanations for the prejudice.

Archived