James Beattie Moaning

Signed James Beattie for Bradford in first season he's played 14 games so far and scored 2 (crap I know). Has started 1/2 of them. Decide to start him against Burton and he grabs an assist and looks to be having a good game, but as he is old his condition was dropping and at around 75th minute it was at 69% so I take him off. After the game he comes to me saying he is frustrated at being taken off, and I attempt to explain that he needed resting, but he didn't agree and was being unprofessional. So to the shock of the fans the next day his contract is terminated by mutual consent.

Does anyone else have players that think they're bigger than what they are? This guy wouldn't have a career without me, I gave him the chance of football again and this is how he repays me?! So bye bye, I have better players that are hungrier for football.

What would you guys have done in a situation like this?

I probably wouldnt have released him. I personally would have fined him 2 weeks wages for being unprofessional and even if he was unhappy, still play him and let him get over his little huff.

Personally I'm not sure anything needed to be done. You seem to basically be saying that having a different opinion to you is unprofessional. I may have interpreted it incorrectly, but this is a private chat between you and the player, not him coming out in public and criticising you for taking him off?

I had Beattie at Notts County, and had to sub him most games because of his poor fitness, and he moaned several times. I just started ignoring him and decided to keep playing him until the goals dried up - he went on to score 44 goals that season.

Realeasing him is an overreaction

He wasn't good enough tbh with only 2 goals in 14, this is the second time i've got rid of a player because of moaning. Danny Spiller was shipped off to Luton because his av rating was only 6.25 in 15 games and he started complaining about not playing.

Archived