Newport in champions league?

Hi just wondering if anyone know this is possible. I have now managed to get to the premiership but I am not in the league cup im guessing its because im in the welsh cup? I know swansea was trying to sort something out if they ever managed to get into europe. So anyone?

I'm not sure that real life rule applies in FM, I almost certain Cardiff can get into the Champions League and I know for a fact that Swansea can.

Cardiff and Swansea don't play in the Welsh cup though. I don't think Vaduz who play in the Swiss league but in the Leichtenstein cup can qualify for the CL, I may be wrong though.

Cardiff and Swansea don't play in the Welsh cup though. I don't think Vaduz who play in the Swiss league but in the Leichtenstein cup can qualify for the CL, I may be wrong though.

Good point, I've never seen anyone get to the CL with Vaduz or Newport.

If you carry on and do get there make sure you post to let us know what happens.

Hmm will do but I go real in depth when I play so it takes me 1-2 weeks to do a season and it will be at least 3 seasons before I may get there and if I cant go in europe it would devastate me ha ha

I have taken Newport County into the Champions League in the latest FM12 patch, through finishing third in the Prem. And, because I included Wales as one of the nations to run in the game, I also got to play in the Welsh Cup. Despite winning the Welsh Cup whilst I was in the BSP though, I did not qualify for Europe, even though the competition rules clearly state that the winner gets to play in the Euro Cup. Instead, the team who lost to me in the Welsh Cup final took my European place.

From Wikipedia: "In March 2012 UEFA stated that Welsh clubs playing in the English football league system could not qualify for Europen competitions via the Welsh cup but they could qualify via the English league and cup competitions"

I know it says March 2012, but I'm sure the all knowing SI made an educated guess this would be the case. ;) So I guess it needs to state that in the rules for clarity.

Even though Newport play in the Welsh Cup they cannot qualify for Europe if they win it (in game and in real life).

It is possible to qualify with a Welsh based team although home grown status was a bit wacky in the last series when Welsh youngsters coming through the team didn't count as home grown!

Archived