Super Tactics, hate them, or love them..

Just looking for a quick consensus on those various super-tactics you see available for download?

Personally I can see the attraction, for people not wanting to delve into such tactical intricities that some do, and those who give birth to them obviously do so under hours of development and testing.

On the other hand, I've downloaded a few, tweaked a few, had a play around with them, and have come to the conclusion that they ruin the fun for me. Previously, in FMs gone by I was one for the plug n' play quick fix, but last couple of years I've looked to construct a system from the ground up and try and mold a side round that.

I raise this topic due to recently playing around with a few of the 'super-tactics', most notably the one that utilizes the three central forwards and now have my striker scoring far too many goals; it has ruined the fun and competitiveness for me. I go into a game, without even watching any highlights, just waiting on the screen for my team to score, knowing full well that if I go behind, it's more than conceivable that my forward will score a double hat-trick and I'll win 6-1. Why do I continue, I've questioned this myself, and for the time being my only motivation is to see how many goals said striker ends up with at the end of the season - and feeling rather dirty whilst doing so. But for me, said tactics that exploit such ME deficiencies kinda ruin the competitive edge, and mystery for me.

I've downloaded a couple of tactics off here, don't think they're 'super tactics' and I do only use them in the lower leagues when I want to get through a season quickly and hopefully get promotion. Although to be honest I do tend to use my own tactics, just gives a better sense of achievement. I also do what I can to avoid any so called 'exploits' by just not reading what they are.

Quite frankly I've never had a striker scoring stupid amounts of goals, probably only managed to get a player average a goal a game on one maybe two occassions. I also rarely seem to get a player finish as top scorer. Players scoring s**t loads would totally spoil the realism for me.

I've downloaded a couple of tactics off here, don't think they're 'super tactics' and I do only use them in the lower leagues when I want to get through a season quickly and hopefully get promotion. Although to be honest I do tend to use my own tactics, just gives a better sense of achievement. I also do what I can to avoid any so called 'exploits' by just not reading what they are.

Quite frankly I've never had a striker scoring stupid amounts of goals, probably only managed to get a player average a goal a game on one maybe two occassions. I also rarely seem to get a player finish as top scorer. Players scoring s**t loads would totally spoil the realism for me.

Very much the same here, previously, where my players have scored a good amount of goals in a season (Torres, 60ish the highest this year I can remember) has been through the 'hard-work' as such of making the system work for that side, and have always felt a greater deal of accomplishment. Saying this, I think I alluded to it, I'm using something that is clearly exploiting certain aspects to result in your forwards score copious amounts of goals, and once the season is over and done with and I have a total he's managed I'm looking forward to building up a style of play with the team I've assembled.

So sort of torn between to posts here; somewhat condemning the use of the plug and play tactics, saying that they've taken the sense of achievement in the game, yet on the other hand - using such a system to win games and score goals.

Just looking for a quick consensus on those various super-tactics you see available for download?

Whatever enables you to enjoy the game is a good thing. Some people are frustrated by the game and feel it's more enjoyable when winning more. It's not wrong, it's just one way of playing the game. And at the end of the day it's about entertainment. Who cares if they win everything thanks to a "super tactic"? It doesn't impact anyone outside their save.

tbh if you have one player scoring silly amounts, then you have probably forgone the preformance of your team as a whole in order to get as much as possible out of that specific player

also its very rare that I have run into a tactic in the download section that focus on what I feel is the most important aspects when it comes to get results on a regular basis, namely midfield control, defending and transition play

Judging by the popularity of the threads then there is clearly a demand for the best possible tactics regardless of how many ME exploits they contain or how unrealistic the game becomes.

Personally they're not my thing at all, the idea of winning every game by at least a few goals no matter the quality of my lineup just doesn't appeal. Maybe in the extreme short term I can see why people enjoy them but give me a slow rise from midtable, piecing together the team I want, playing the style I want over the short term novelty of unrealistic results every time.

Unless you were just trying to get some obscure team to win the CL or similar (still don't get it as its not really an achievement when you're exploiting loopholes in the program you're playing against) then I just don't see how a save can have any long term appeal when you literally have to pick 3 pacey strikers and a giant centre half in order to dominate the game.

tbh if you have one player scoring silly amounts, then you have probably forgone the preformance of your team as a whole in order to get as much as possible out of that specific player

also its very rare that I have run into a tactic in the download section that focus on what I feel is the most important aspects when it comes to get results on a regular basis, namely midfield control, defending and transition play

Exactly how I feel:thup:

I've only downloaded one to see how people were getting strikers to score so many, I quickly stopped using it after I was getting 20 goals from my striker in about 4 or 5 games. And I felt a bit dirty using someone else's tactic, sort of defeated the point of football manager for me.

Personally using my own tactics I think the most I got was a 60-70 goal season out of an insane player, acceptable given Messi's statistics this year for me.

I'm not a fan of them really, think they're stupid and take any point out of the game. Only real annoying thing is when someone has blatantly downloaded a tactic for a stupid scoring striker and then brags over their players record on here.

No one can say

'Super tactics are not for me, blah blah blah'

The reason? Because we all strive to win, and win good. Its not like theres any white lines between a good tactic and an exploit tactic.

The best thing to do is stay away from other peoples tactics. Play your own way, your own style. If you end up winning really easy, at least you know its down to YOU.

As far as tactical creation goes, if you want to get real into it. Rather than look at super tactics, look at tactical theory and then apply it in your own way. Sfrasers threads are really interesting reads.

I hate the exploits myself but only because they ruin my online games, I know my mates use exploits, otherwise they cannot keep up with me. :)

Archived