League Cup in various nations.

Recently I'm playing in the Hungarian League. I became aware that they also have the so called "league cup", just like in England. I'm schocked to find out that my chairman did not rate this competition at all. Reason is that my team, Eger was a 2nd division team which just got promoted and I'm pretty sure in real life small teams like these value any available competition, even the so called mickey mouse cup.

I remember in previous year of FM, when I was playing a lower league team in England, the chairman do not value the "mickey mouse cup" at all. I'm sure in real life teams that do not have the slightest chance to get in CL or EL through league standing, they still fancy winning ANY competition, be it "mickey mouse cup" as it gives qualification to EL.

I understand that if the team is like ManC, ManU, Chelsea maybe Arsenal or Spurs, they will ignore the "mickey mouse cup" since it doenst give much revenue. But if they can win it without jepordising their league and CL, I'm sure they will still gladly take it.

Now teams such as Wigan, Swansea, QPR were to be told they will win the so called "mickey mouse cup", I'm sure any one assosiated with said FC will be delighted and proud as a silverware is still a silverware. However, that's not the case in FM, the chairman still say they don't rate it. Am I wrong? I think this should be tweaked in FM.

Probably because the financial benefits arent as great as other compeitions and also the fact that they have other priorities. To me though, a trophy is a trophy!!!

People ridicule the league cup in Portugal too, but it's not a massive surprise given the trophy has an unfair format skewed towards the big clubs and is only 5 years old, first ever League Cup was in the 2007/2008 season.

Depends. In game as a lower league team I'm happy when the chairman says I don't have to put the effort into the league cup. The revenue is poor, you're getting more out of an FA cup game. And it allows us to just get on with the league + FA cup.

I wouldn't tweak it unless SI could prevent it going back to the old days of the board being annoyed cos you don't win the league cup -_-

People ridicule the league cup in Portugal too, but it's not a massive surprise given the trophy has an unfair format skewed towards the big clubs and is only 5 years old, first ever League Cup was in the 2007/2008 season.

So true...

A trophy is nice, but realistically maybe they just want to stay in the division? Don't forget, success in a league cup means a greater chance of fixture congestion come the end of the season, which isn't a good thing for teams without a lot of players for cover.

The Hungarian league cup is very frustrating since the group (aside from relegations) is the same each year (having spent some time there with MTK), the 4 lower division sides that take part are all in the same group, and the knockouts (like in the latter stages of the cup) are 2-legged. Didn't stop me enjoying my time there but didn't miss it one bit.

The Hungarian league cup is very frustrating since the group (aside from relegations) is the same each year (having spent some time there with MTK), the 4 lower division sides that take part are all in the same group, and the knockouts (like in the latter stages of the cup) are 2-legged. Didn't stop me enjoying my time there but didn't miss it one bit.

I would really enjoy the long competition of the Hungarian League Cup IF the chairman and the fans in FM care about the competition a little more. As of now, it feels more like an unavoidable 6 match (at least) which saps more energy from my team.

Archived