How do you get over the inevitable morale slump?

Inevitable- In the midst of a title race, players love me, superb morale, unbeaten. We lose the Carling Cup semi, followed by a 3rd rd FA cup exit at the hands of our rivals. I call a meeting, saying don't let your heads drop, keep going etc. The morale of my squad does and inexplicable 180 degree turn, and my players turn on me for saying something so innocuous. Now we are playing like utter rubbish.

I don't mind losing a few games, but how do you turn this around? I want to atleast stay in the title race.

Have to say I've never used a team meeting for anything, a feature that needs work for me. I'm not sure you needed to call a team meeting at that point.

For me It would be mixture of tactics and motivation, though my game style is more focused on the former. I would be playing a tighter, more cautious shape (relative to your usual style). Your aim is not to blow the opposition away, but win by hook or by crook. Be less demanding of your team, if you next game is a "lesser side" i'e one considerably further down the table, cautiously ask for the win. My interpretation of it is is that "I know its tough, but we need the win", I tend to use it within context for tougher away games, against awkward midtable sides usually.

Have to say I've never used a team meeting for anything, a feature that needs work for me. I'm not sure you needed to call a team meeting at that point.

In hindsight no, but logically it seemed like a good time to do it, and really should not have such an adverse, unremittingly negative impact on the squad. Talk about egg-shells.

For me It would be mixture of tactics and motivation, though my game style is more focused on the former. I would be playing a tighter, more cautious shape (relative to your usual style). Your aim is not to blow the opposition away, but win by hook or by crook. Be less demanding of your team, if you next game is a "lesser side" i'e one considerably further down the table, cautiously ask for the win. My interpretation of it is is that "I know its tough, but we need the win", I tend to use it within context for tougher away games, against awkward midtable sides usually.

Yes, but anything I say is met with resistance. Even saying I know we're underdogs but give a shot. These are very professional players aswell(apart from Adebayor lol), so they should react better. But I will try as you suggest, cheers.

In hindsight no, but logically it seemed like a good time to do it, and really should not have such an adverse, unremittingly negative impact on the squad. Talk about egg-shells.

Yes, but anything I say is met with resistance. Even saying I know we're underdogs but give a shot. These are very professional players aswell(apart from Adebayor lol), so they should react better. But I will try as you suggest, cheers.

Yeah I'm not keen on the team meetings, a good idea that needs a lot more work in my view, or maybe i just don't know how to use it properly.

When you say negative, do you mean red reactions or no reactions? Could you get a screenshot from your next team talk? Also what is your rep?

I'm semi-pro rep at Tottenham, season 1. Despite that we were doing really well. I can't get a screenie right now, but in that team meeting 22 players reacted badly, major red reactions. Dumb ba**ards....now in team talks i'm getting alot of 'switched off'. If i dare say don't get complacent in the next match, they get angry. This game is like managing caged chimps sometimes.

To get around it you need to have regular team meetings when you are on good form. Tell your players that they're doing well and to keep up the good work. Then, occasionally - if you're on a good winning run - set the post match talk as "don't get complacent". You can also have chat's with players... if their form is like 7.6+ over 5 games tell them their form is good and you hope it continues, if their form is below 7 tell them they need to up their game. This will keep morale up and will also get them to play better.

I say this because I had exactly the same problem as you - but since I've been following these rules I've won league after league and cup after cup

I'm semi-pro rep at Tottenham, season 1. Despite that we were doing really well. I can't get a screenie right now, but in that team meeting 22 players reacted badly, major red reactions. Dumb ba**ards....now in team talks i'm getting alot of 'switched off'. If i dare say don't get complacent in the next match, they get angry. This game is like managing caged chimps sometimes.

Rep Rep Rep. plays too much of a role. But then I kind of understand it. Its why I pick a rep to suit where I'm playing.

To get around it you need to have regular team meetings when you are on good form. Tell your players that they're doing well and to keep up the good work. Then, occasionally - if you're on a good winning run - set the post match talk as "don't get complacent". You can also have chat's with players... if their form is like 7.6+ over 5 games tell them their form is good and you hope it continues, if their form is below 7 tell them they need to up their game. This will keep morale up and will also get them to play better.

I say this because I had exactly the same problem as you - but since I've been following these rules I've won league after league and cup after cup

Last time i said don't get complacent in post match Team talk, while on a great run, they got angered. Every one of them. But i will take your advice, cheers.

Rep Rep Rep. plays too much of a role. But then I kind of understand it. Its why I pick a rep to suit where I'm playing.

My issue is that there is way too much of a gap between the reps. There is a huge divide between the effects of semi-pro and pro. I get why players would react differently, but the gap is too much. If i use pro or international player, they're just on my nuts the whole time and it's too easy,

If they are reacting badly to every thing you say, get ass man to say whatever.

Even get him to manage a game without any boxes ticked on the holiday screen, I have found this ploy works 8/10 of the time for me.

other than that, squad rotation, fine poor performance or put them in the reserves for a couple of weeks, some players only respond to tough love.

Good luck.

Difficult to comprehend this game tbh. As i said, i don't mind losing games. But when everything is going well, then suddenly nothing you do has any effect, being dominated by far worse teams. Stoke playing like Barcelona and my players hitting the woodwork countless times per match, missing every one on one, can't string 3 passes together, can't win the ball back off opposition, it is difficult to comprehend how to fix it really.

Archived