Question for those who spend $100mil on one player...

Can a BIG NAME signing bring BIG rep and BIG revenue?

I have the chance to spend $90mil on the best player in the world (at age 26), but my club is successful already. We've won trophies and a league title, and I don't feel I need this player to continue winning. My ONLY reason for considering it is that my club's rep is still 6th in the England in spite of my success.

Any advice?

If more details would help, I can give them.

9 seaons in my rep is 1st in england and 4th in europe. As best I can tell you need to win titles. Preferably three or more a year. It may be that having players with a worldwide rep helps too, but I can't be sure. I doubt that buying one expensive player is going to matter. Better to buy three players with world wide rep and see if that helps. Or buy 10 players with the potential to be leading stars and let them and your rep improve over time.

Signing high-profile players can increase club reputation, however it generally only does so if the player is far above the clubs reputation and even so will only increase said reputation by a few points. Consider that reputation is out of 10,000, if a player signing gives you say 10 reputation points that's not really going to make a blind bit of difference. Since you're already top six or so by rep, it might not even make a bit of difference signing that player at all.

The best way to increase rep I've seen is winning the champions league.

Thanks for all the replies. I have two players who have gained a worldwide rep since playing for me, yet they don't really feature for their country. Like everyone said though, success on the field is what matters. The only trophy I need now is the Champions League, and I'm sure I can do it WITH my $90mil in the bank. Thanks again!

Archived