Team X has given a contract offer to your star coach

Now presumably, if the coach have been in the club for 9 years, loves the club, he still don't know how to use the word "No!". In all my careers as manager I've never seen a coach say "No" when another club offers him a contract.

This means that I'll have to give coach x a new contract every single time he's offered another job. I renewed contract three times in one summer, and still he left the fourth time the cheeky grit.

Have anyone ever experienced a coach saying "No" to another team. I don't mean when You try signing one, but when an opposition comes in and attempt to snatch a coach from your training ground.

There should be an option that enables you to stop a coach from leaving when there is more than a year left on their contract and he should have to give you notice. Penalties need to be far higher also, the amount of compensation the hawks have to pay is nothing to them.

Making them wait for your coach to work his notice and ramped up compensation will soon make them look elsewhere.

The lack of loyalty is the problem. In reality, a staff member settled in an area, happy with his job wouldn't be that willing to move their family all the way across the country/world for a minimal payrise. They most certainly couldn't do so without having some talks with their employers first. If there has to be a new contract offered every time someone tries to poach your staff the least they could do is ask for it themselves.

OP is right. FM should put in a random "loyalty" element for coaches/scouts so that now & again they do say "X has turned down job offer stating love of his club as the reason." It owuld be more realistic.

The lack of loyalty is the problem. In reality, a staff member settled in an area, happy with his job wouldn't be that willing to move their family all the way across the country/world for a minimal payrise. They most certainly couldn't do so without having some talks with their employers first. If there has to be a new contract offered every time someone tries to poach your staff the least they could do is ask for it themselves.

Minimal pay rise? In my game when I'm fed up with renewing contracts (when a coach is simply paid too much) the coach goes to a higher prolific league/club and takes a significant pay cut (20-30%). Then if I try to get them back after a couple of seasons they want the same wage as when they left...

I've had coaches refuse a move, but true, it is a rarity that they do.

Staff poaching is a pretty normal part of business, but it would be logical indeed if the coach at least came to you, and said "look, I've had this offer, I would like a new contract or I'm tempted to take it"

I found from experience though, other teams rarely go for the high-earners, and even if they do, if you have an amazing coach on £15,000 per week, with 5 years left on his contract, you're looking at up to 4 million pounds in compensation. So keep your coaches on long contracts, give them what they want, when they do go, at least you'll get a nice bit of money and likely wont have to pay nearly as much to replace said coach, and since you dont have to pay any signing on or agent fee's for coaches, you can make a tidy little business out of your staff.

Krald has it 100%, longer, larger contracts are the answer. The compensation is worked out based on the remaining contract, it also works for you in Managing, the longer & larger your contract is, the less likely it is to get fired, even if you stuff up. If you are on a one/two year deal and miss your goals by a little you can be sacked easily, but on a four/five year deal they think very hard about it.

Krald has it 100%, longer, larger contracts are the answer. The compensation is worked out based on the remaining contract, it also works for you in Managing, the longer & larger your contract is, the less likely it is to get fired, even if you stuff up. If you are on a one/two year deal and miss your goals by a little you can be sacked easily, but on a four/five year deal they think very hard about it.

Try to tell that to my coaches. As has been said by others you can keep on renewing contract and clubs still try to poach your coaches - even when they are on a 5 year deal. But yes can get 4-5M Euro for top paid coaches.

Every coach, everywhere, says yes to everyone, all the time.

Your choice, once a team offers a staff member a contract, is to offer them a new one, or wave goodbye. They never stay of their own choice. Ever. At all. Not once.

Every coach, everywhere, says yes to everyone, all the time.

Your choice, once a team offers a staff member a contract, is to offer them a new one, or wave goodbye. They never stay of their own choice. Ever. At all. Not once.

And it's been that way for a long time. Luckily SI have their priorities right and gave us some nice UI changes for FM12, rather than fixing superfluous things like this.

It goes both ways. I've never seen a coach decline another club's approach. And I rarely see a club approach my staff with a real promotion. No club has ever approached my Assistant Manager with a position as a manager, nor has a club approached any of my coaches with a role as an Assistant Manager (and I've rarely seen an offer of promotion within the coaching ranks). Clubs have generally approached my staff with the same position they are currently serving under me.

On both sides, loyalty to the club and personal ambition need to be tweaked. Long-time players turned staff should have some sense of loyalty and decline lateral moves to another club. But there should be some potential to move on if it means advancing their career. I wouldn't be offended if a team approached my coach with an assistant manager's position. I'd make an offer to keep him in his current position, but can't hold it against him if he wants to further his career.

The problem is when you're a big club, for example all the scouts in the game with 20 for potential and ability are contracted to me, luckily there are only a small handful of clubs they would agree to go to and they haven't yet. That's not to say that any club aren't interested, there's no way of telling that a club have approached but laughed off by the member of staff because we only get the news item if the team offers a contract. Technically if they are approached and a deal is not agreed and the team or staff member walks away from negotiations the game doesn't see that a contract has been offered and thus not deemed as a news item, which is why they never seem to reject contract offers.

Simple thing to add to the game is more news items where a team has offered a contract and the talks have broken down for whatever reason.

Archived