Getting your stadium going...

I managed to get a new stadium build about 2 1/2 years ago. I had one increase in the capacity about 2 years ago, not long at all after i had made the new one. Since then i haven't ever been able to even discuss upping the capacity etc of the stadium. Fair enough from the training facilities etc, you can only get so state of the art. However there's been no advertised reason as to why increasing stadium capacity is always greyed out. Our average capacity is at 98% and more often than not sells out completely. We more than have the money.

Any ideas as to how i could wake up the idea in Roman's mind? It's getting bloody annoying.

It happens like that sometimes, in my French save I had a new stadium built in 2015 when I was still in the third tier. Now I'm winning league titles and the champions league I obviously want a bigger stadium but it's at the capacity of 19,106, and can no longer increase. Now I have to wait until at least 2035 to even think about building another stadium, I expect the next one to be named after me though. ;) I guess it's just luck of the draw as to the maximum capacity of any new stadium.

It happens like that sometimes, in my French save I had a new stadium built in 2015 when I was still in the third tier. Now I'm winning league titles and the champions league I obviously want a bigger stadium but it's at the capacity of 19,106, and can no longer increase. Now I have to wait until at least 2035 to even think about building another stadium, I expect the next one to be named after me though. ;) I guess it's just luck of the draw as to the maximum capacity of any new stadium.

Do they still do naming stadiums after you? In the last game, or maybe two, it was a lot easier, as if i'd done what i had in my last game i'd by now have a stadium named after me. I've even bested last years games. So they've either made it a lot harder, or the limited scope of the games i have played, and maybe bad luck, have lead to them being known simply as "The Chelsea Ground." Which tbh, i am just as happy with atm, but if i carry on winning basically everything every year and they don't make me a stand at least or a bloody stadium i'm hacking their stats.

Yeah they still name stadiums after you sometimes, but also on past legends. An example I have had is Spurs naming their stadium the Steve Perryman Stadium.

As Berty said though, if you have just recentley built a new stadium there wont be a quick urge to expand it in any way. The board will be thinking that they have just spent money on a new stadium so why should they bother expanding so soon, but as mentioned, it could be build in an area where they are unable to expand further.

Roughly how long is it until they decide it's time to build a new stadium? I know i know, kinda a how long is a piece of string. To make it easier let's say that:

- I have just built it in the year 2020.

- I have never had a yearly average below 97% and that was one bad year where the rest have been always above 98%. So it's obvious it's a definite home demand.

- As well as the average i also sell out 4/5th of my home games. So there's definitely the demand, esp at home.

- I haven't had finances in the black for years and i have been buying heavy on some of them. So there's the money.

- The current stadium cannot be expanded any further so we have to make a new one.

- Chairman/owner still loves club and will invest money needed. (This used to be blatantly obvious when i would overspend and towards the end of the season "cash injection" would be found. Sometimes ridiculously large ones. However due to the hugely improved finances this hasn't had to be done for years however whenever training facilities etc go down he's right there with the cash and i am sure it hasn't changed).

- We still win pretty much everything we enter.

- However i have sadly noticed that the sponsorship deals have started decreasing slightly. I guess after the initial extreme upping in reputation the bubble's leaking a bit. These are very small reductions though and appear to be more like rounding up/down :S

- Oh i mentioned the expansions but to be specific let's say i have already had two (i have a vague memory of a 3rd even smaller one somewhere in there but i'm not sure) stadium size increases and there's room for no one else at the inn. These weren't very big increases however imo. That said when worked out as an average, plus realising just how much it increased my income i realised a small seating upgrade can made a much bigger difference than i thought.

So...all this in mind, and remember i'm not asking for any specifics. Roughly how long would you say? Bear in mind this is a hypothetical situation and we built the first new stadium in 2020.

I thought 20 seemed a bit more correct. 30 years for maybe reality but in the game that would cut out one of the most fun features. Due to all the implications a new stadium and the new amount of seating has. Increased income, new measurement of supporter base, new sponsorship deals etc etc. Then all the ways those permeate through a team that you have been playing with for a longish game. That's why imo they need to expand the financial side of the game. Football is business after all, and it might be that as my team scores over 100 goals each season i am a bit spoiled for choice but these days i get a lot more satisfaction out of jacking up our income to the 1.7 BN each year that it is, especially as it started at about £400m. Plus all the other permutations that this then allows.

-A huge competitive u18 team due to your ability to have the very best facilities etc therefore produce a lot of good players yourself. Plus as you have such an income you can buy up any talent you want that has left gaps in your u18 team.

-This then makes the reserves more jumpy and the first team meaning more effort from most.

-Having such a good team and being in so many comps means you can keep a squad that is literally 2 full teams, plus 3-4 utility replacements, of actual world class players happy due to the amount of matches available. Also the fact that you can keep them happy by having them with the L/C and the FA Cup World Club Championship etc and have the other won by your current favoured firsties. This leads to some utterly amazing stats and performances.

-This then allows you to make even more money by selling off the surplus your academy is now making. Also to sell those players you first bought at inflated prices to get you into the main money zone at even more inflated prices due to their success with you. Also by then they'll be one of your top earners so you can promote people from your academy/reserves by this point to take their place who are as good if not better than the person they are replacing.

-Then you keep the cycle going until you're biggest shock is generally the one or two matches you somehow lose a season. They're always good tools though, keeps those cocky players in line etc.

Ahem, sunday morning rant my apologies. So...20 years more like it?

I have had a new stadium after twenty years and, to my knowledge, that is the shortest period possible. If you hover over the expand stadium option it will tell you why it can't be expanded and if you have reached the stadium's limit then you just have to wait I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

this 20 years between stadiums.....is this 20 years into the game? or say if the stadium was built in 1947, I can have a new stadium from 1967 and theoretically have a new stadium as soon as I start the game?

Archived