Have You Bought Unwanted Players?

Just like the topic states. Have you bought players you don't need just because your rival team wanted them or for some other reason?

In my case, I bought Andres Guardado (who is a World Class Winger) from Real Madrid just because Roma were favourites to sign him and I didn't need him at all.

Also now I've got a first team squad with 27 players and so need to lose some players because it's impossible for me to give them a fair share of first team football and also to cut down wages.

So, how much should I cut it down to? 22? First 11 and one for each position as backup or less?

Just like the topic states. Have you bought players you don't need just because your rival team wanted them or for some other reason?

In my case, I bought Andres Guardado (who is a World Class Winger) from Real Madrid just because Roma were favourites to sign him and I didn't need him at all.

Also now I've got a first team squad with 27 players and so need to lose some players because it's impossible for me to give them a fair share of first team football and also to cut down wages.

So, how much should I cut it down to? 22? First 11 and one for each position as backup or less?

Always, always, always in FM06. So my Aris team got clogged up with poor players, and I got sacked after 2 seasons. But then in my new job at Canvey Island I controlled myself, and haven't done it since in 06 or 08 (missed out 07).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">depends really what foramtion you play.... i vary between 442, 451 and 433, so normally have 5 forwards 4 wingers 2 DM's 2 CAM's 3 CB's 4 WB's and a replacement GK </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play a 4-2-3-1: DR/DL, 2 DCs, 2 CMs, AMR/AML, AMC, and 1 FC

I hate earmarking a youngster to buy "soon" and then a rival bids for him. If I have the cash, I always end up buying him and making him miserable (such as Breno as a replacement for John Terry, but he can't displace JT and Micah Richards at CB).

I just buy random players, like right now I have Valencia, Obertan, Sahin, Gentner, Pjanic, Khedira, Nunes, Afellay, Rajkovic... I have plenty of them, but sometimes they are worth it. Rajkovic, Afellay and Nunes are now first team players after impressing in the reserves. They proved they had the ability I wanted and I gave them a chance.

I can barely afford to buy the players I want to buy so pretty much no.

I will put in a bid for a player I have looked at if another club bids. It's never case that I can't use that player however.

Only once in six seasons have I bought/signed a player who has turned out to be utter pants. I sold him at the next transfer window.

I guess I just like to have a nice uniform squad with happy players so I would likely not even buy 'anyone' even if I had the money to do so. If Southampton made a rival bid then I might change my mind.

I bought Mauro Zarate and TBH, I have no idea why. He's third fiddle to Torres and Marica, in a formation in which only one striker is used, so he rarely gets a game. Even when one of them isn't available, I'm often tempted to go with either Nemeth or Pacheco instead. He's was an absolute wast of £5m.

Loads icon_frown.gif

Emmanuelson joined on a free, so atleast I made a profit selling him after a few months. Unfortunately I paid 24 million for Michael Johnson who never played, and my wage bill was way too high, so I had to sell him for 11 mil less after just 4 months. icon_frown.gif

Also got loads more players just sitting in the squad needlessly.

as a personal rule i never have more than 20 players in my first team squad, this allowes for maximum rotation and gives a fair chance to my youngsters. i hate buying players anyways

I don't know. Personally I like a small squad to work with, but then I'm always annoyed when it comes to injuries.

I suppose 22 or 23 is a good number, and keep a few decent youngsters in the reserves who can fill in if they really need to, rather than send them out on loan.

bought ben arfa on a bosman, sold him to villa for £10M. i did want him, but his performances were very average at ML/AML. besides, i also signed saivet on a bosman at the same time, sent him out on loan thinking that ben arfa would adapt better.

You know, I used top pride myself in never buying players I don't need. Recently though, I did it once icon_frown.gif...

Barcelona where selling a 26-year-old Anderson(Man Utd one) for £6m, thought it was a bargain, he wasn't really needed as in the 2 AMC slots I have, Kroos, Lulinha, Fernandez, Elano, Vela, Sobis, Baxter but thought I couldn't pass the offer up. Especially as Barca bought Diego back off for me which netted me a £10m profit!

My new Cartagena game - I've somehow ended up with 11 central/attacking midfielders, 3 strikers and 5 defenders which forces me to play 4-2-3-1 and hope I don't get any defensive injuries. I kind of went overboard with the Bosmans after getting promoted, pinching 3 great ones off Recreativo. The problem is, all the central and attacking midfielders are awesome and now none of them are in good form because I'm forced to rotate them. Two, in fact, are still lacking match fitness and I'm into January, and they've had only one minor injury each!

That said, there's not really much I can do as I overperformed to promote so I couldn't attract good players. Getafe, my parent club, decided to help by sending two rubbish 22-year-olds who would be lucky to make it into my 2B4 team last season, as youngsters.

I never buy players just so another team wont get them, although i used too many games ago.

But my current squad is only 18 players, so my First X1 and 7 subs. Although i do need some more depth if im going to compete for anything

Recently brought Henry back to Arsenal, for old times sake and because was striggling with goals, but then never hardly played him because my other strikers started to perform better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PnyX:

as a personal rule i never have more than 20 players in my first team squad, this allowes for maximum rotation and gives a fair chance to my youngsters. i hate buying players anyways </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, didn't know Arsene Wenger played FM and was registered to SI Games forums. icon_redface.gif

I always have a squad with two players for each position, or at least players who can play in more than one position. I also like to have a third option for each position to be filled be under19s, so i invest quite heavily in youth.

I'll sign players if they are out of contract and find a use for them but I never buy a player so other teams can't, I always have my transfer budget planned out to tightly to do that

I've been known to buy players when I didn't really need them. But that's only because I find buying players one of the most fun parts of the game.

My latest example would be Sulley Muntari. I've just signed him for £12.75m for Man. United, even though I have tonnes of midfielders. Still, I think he will come into his own as Giggs and Scholes are really fading and I'll need back-up for Anderson and Nani.

Archived