International Bug?

I gave this French striker his first 3 international caps for France and had hopes he would become first choice striker. Then when it came to picking the squad for the last 2 world cup qualifiers it said I couldn't pick him because he had already been picked for international duty. So I decided to check his history to make sure I wasn't dreaming this and seen that I had give him his first France cap nearly two years before he got called up for Reunion.

2012-07-12_00001.jpg

I believe SI implemented the FIFA rule that allows for capped players to change nationalities so long as they haven't played in an official "A" match at the international level (i.e. FIFA-recognized tournaments.)

Hmm. Even with the fact it's completely in the rules, how likely is someone capped by France to turn his back on them to play for Reunion? Where was he born, if he was born in Reunion, perhaps, but if he was actually born in France I find that hard to believe. Though it's one of those things it's probably impossible to get perfect.

I think some French territories aren't 'officially' recognised by FIFA (Reunion, Martinique etc), so in effect players can play for both countries.

Not sure about this though.

In real life, yes. Guadeloupe is a French territory that plays in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, even though it isn't recognized by FIFA. I believe that a player that plays for Guadeloupe would still be elligible to play for France.

Wasn't Henry born in a French territory?

Henry was born in Paris but his second nationality on FM is Martinique.

I still remember that striker I had years ago that played international football for an island called Mayotte or something. He was easily good enough for France.

Archived