Aside from A.I. issues, one other absolute must to make FM as great as CM 01/02 again

For all the love CM 01/02 gets, I'm sure much of it is nostalgic. I played FM on the ipad to try and get that similar game-style back....didn't work.

I love the potential of the desktop game - yes, it's much more complex than it used to be but that doesn't bother me - it's pretty easy to not delve into the minutia if you don't want to.

On top of that, most people complain about the A.I. in long-term games and I totally agree - I've complained about it non-stop for about 4 years. It's terrible in many ways and must be fixed to make this game really great.

However, there is one other thing that I always remember about CM 01/02 and that is even more relevant today. Player personalities...not the ones who go mad at you for no reason when you try and talk to them but players demanding a transfer when bigger teams come sniffing. This happens so often in real life yet in FM I can keep all my players from ever leaving if I want to. In fact, the only time I was not able to do this was when my chairman stepped in and accepted an offer.

I don't think this is too late to get implemented if it isn't already being looked at but I think it would make the game much more realistic and add a little bit of a challenge for those vying to win the CL with smaller clubs (which at this stage is miles too easy for the above reason and the A.I. issues).

Thoughts?

PS. Did not see a post specific to this when I did a search so started a new one!

• Administrators

For legal reasons this is very difficult to implement, if you play a long career Newgens are much more likely to display this kind of behaviour. Saying that this only relates to the personality side, I'd say 'player unhapiness' was bugged somewhat for FM12 in regards to players forcing through leaving a club and it's something we're looking into for any future version. Thanks.

That's a pretty good answer regarding regens.

However, legal reasons?? I have players asking to leave on FIFA! (Side note: PLEASE PLEASE let PES bring back the magic this year)

Surely, so long as the player isn't taking drugs are doing crazy **** in the game, they can force a move without you guys getting taken to court?

Players do demand a move, but this is fairly easy to ignore. Slightly more persistent demands would be good.

I would go as far to say as it is incredibly easy to ignore. It should be based on the club wanting to buy the player but if Man Utd come knocking at your door for your best player and you are Bolton, it should be incredibly hard to keep him if Man Utd want their man.

The bigger you are and/or the smaller the club sniffing around is should play into how hard it is to keep your player.

I also never see players wanting to leave for a new challenge.

I might be wrong but "in real life" don't agents hassle managers regarding better contracts, at the moment I only see it happen after failed transfer bids. Should it not happen after reaching Landmark Goals/Clean Sheets/Assists, 1st International Call Up, Reaching 10 International Caps or 'x' number of MOM's to name a few examples.

For legal reasons this is very difficult to implement, if you play a long career Newgens are much more likely to display this kind of behaviour. Saying that this only relates to the personality side, I'd say 'player unhapiness' was bugged somewhat for FM12 in regards to players forcing through leaving a club and it's something we're looking into for any future version. Thanks.

Can you not work around the legal issue by making the player's agent the problem? They are all fictional, aren't they?

If a player has an agent that dislikes you, is greedy and thus itching to move his player on, you could get him causing some serious unrest in your squad through media and personal interactions. He could demand you sell the player immediately, ask for a massive contract restructuring or simply go to the media and mouth off about how you are a terrible manager who is harming his player's career.

However, if the agent has a good relationship with you and the club, he'll be far more professional. He might ask that you consider selling the player at the end of the season or a year before his contract expires, he might just ask for a wage increase or he might tell you that he has no intention in moving his player on and not to worry about the rumours. You could agree up front or to open discussions about it at the end of the season when it won't affect the player so much.

Thats the problem with the world today. Everyone is looking for a chance to sue somebody!

I can see SI problem. If the football manager version of Rooney starts spouting off demanding a move or something im sure some clever cloggs lawyer can find a way to get some money, just as easily as if the game represented the player as a druggy or cheated on his wife. I have no problem those elements not being in the game.

Hopefully we can find someone to slightly improve the topic matter though as with my club Norwich City there has been a big ding dong recently with Grant Holts agent coming out saying he wanted a move for money reasons as well as other unknown reasons, then the player added to this via his twitter, then after weeks of speculation he signs a lovely new deal and all is well (for now....)

Guest sciegu
If the football manager version of Rooney starts spouting off demanding a move or something im sure some clever cloggs lawyer can find a way to get some money, just as easily as if the game represented the player as a druggy or cheated on his wife.

Haha then we should sue reality :) But this is true as lawyer I can admitt this is problem.

Sorry, are you saying that you are afraid that real players may sue you for being depicted too often as demanding a transfer in a video game????

Or does that happen only with a really bad combination of hidden personality traits which SI for the same reason don't dare to attribute to players?

Either way, I'd find that way over the top.

Would it be possible to turn on such behaviour if users decide to turn off real names at the start of a save?

I really loved CM01/02 at the time, but if you put the games side by side and take away the year, FM12 is miles better than CM01/02. I re-installed it to my PC a few months back just to remind myself how good it was and realised how poor it is compared to the most recent games.

I really loved CM01/02 at the time, but if you put the games side by side and take away the year, FM12 is miles better than CM01/02. I re-installed it to my PC a few months back just to remind myself how good it was and realised how poor it is compared to the most recent games.

I agree...but the one thing it has over the current gen is that it kept you feeling immersed and provided more of a challenge.

CM01/02 was good because it was cutting edge in its time. Things have progressed over the last 11 years.

When FM2013 is released we (as active menbers of the forum) will have the game we have asked for as a result of the suggestions and comments we have made over the last few years.

Why look back lets look forward!

CM01/02 was good because it was cutting edge in its time. Things have progressed over the last 11 years.

When FM2013 is released we (as active menbers of the forum) will have the game we have asked for as a result of the suggestions and comments we have made over the last few years.

Why look back lets look forward!

Yes and no. The long-term aspect of the game has been an issue that people on here have asked to get fixed for YEARS and it's still pretty crap.

Obviously agree with the look forward part but people only talk about CM01/02 because it's the one which is regarded SI's best release by many - some people say that in context of how much time has passsed and some genuinely prefer it even now.

Yes and no. The long-term aspect of the game has been an issue that people on here have asked to get fixed for YEARS and it's still pretty crap.

Obviously agree with the look forward part but people only talk about CM01/02 because it's the one which is regarded SI's best release by many - some people say that in context of how much time has passsed and some genuinely prefer it even now.

Whilst I agree the longevity was good in CM01/02 it was also way too easy to dominate so would get boring very quickly.

Lets not mess around, CM 01/02 is love because of the Super Greeks and the Super Swedes, Mark Kerr, Hugo Pinheiro and Tó Madeira. Its loved because it was very very very easy to find success in that game.

WHS

Play a narrow 4-1-3-2, all off the middle 3 on forward runs, win nearly every game.

Try playing it now and you'll be very disappointed compared to the current incarnation.

Archived