How to maximaize sale value of star players

I've never been good at selling players and raising tons of cash for a club, but in my current save with HSV I am doing very well with an over-achieving team and I want to sell my stars to become see how rich I can become. The problem I have is that non of them ever get approached by other clubs with serious offers. What's the best strategy to sell players and get the max cash value for them? IE what time of year? Transfer list? offer to clubs? etc...

Star players are usually quite easy to sell unless your club pays high wages for the level. I decide value based on what teams show interest. If Juventus and Man utd want a player the price will be higher than if it is Blackburn and Auxerre for example. First time I would try for at least 3x listed value.

Set an asking price of around double what you want to sell them for.

Wait for teams to become interested then offer them out at the asking price and you should get some decent offers of around half your asking price, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I have real issues with selling/buying players in the game. On occasion I get approached for a key player whom I will sell at no less than double his listed value yet the AI team pulls out when I refuse to sell at +25%.

Yet when I go to buy a player from an AI controlled team I am expected to pay almost 200% of his listed rate.

I know people will say they don't want to sell so the price is way high and I agree with this but why does the AI (based on his selling rules) expect to buy at a cut price rate ?

I know people will say they don't want to sell so the price is way high and I agree with this but why does the AI (based on his selling rules) expect to buy at a cut price rate ?

Because you don't set an asking price.

If a club doesn't want to sell a player, they don't sell him. AI clubs will of course accept if you offer tons of cash. You would probably do the same if offered a ton of cash for a player you don't want to sell. However, very few AI teams want to spend that extra cash for a player a club doesn't want to sell, so the end result is that no deal is made because the AI team doesn't offer ebough. A human player, on the other hand, more often spends a crazy ammount of money on a player.

Let's say a human player owns player X, and doesn't want to sell him. An AI club offers what they consider a fair offer. The human player wants tons of cash for him, and decline the offer. The AI club then decides that the player is too expensive, and no deal is made.

Now let's say an AI club owns player X, and doesn't want to sell him. The human manager makes a fair offer, which is rejected. Unlike the AI, the human manager persist and offer crazy amounts of money for him, thus forcing the AI club to accept.

Perfectly reasonable IMO. The human manager is the one acting unrealistic, not the AI.

Though it has to be said, that when managing in second-rate nations, like Norway, it's quite easy to get extreme amounts of cash for players. Managing Aalesund in the premier, I just sold a left and a right back for 3 and 4 million, respectively, to foreign big clubs. Both where valued a little under 1 million(I don't remember the exact value).

Here are the steps I go through:

1. Sell players at their peak, when their reputation is at its best. Maybe at around 27-30.

2. Make sure the player has been heavily involved in the first team, he really needs to be one of your star players.

3. In July(ish) when the transfer window opens, transfer list him, set his squad value to not needed and make sure no asking price is set.

4. Progress the game to see what interest comes in, then decide the value to offer him at based on that. Man City, Real Madrid and Barcelona seem to be the best clubs to sell to for me.

5. Offer for around double, depending on which clubs are interested. You may get more if you take the payment in instalments over four years.

The other key point is the players need to be highly rated and on reasonable wages. If he's earning more than he deserves then he becomes harder to sell.

Here are the steps I go through:

1. Sell players at their peak, when their reputation is at its best. Maybe at around 27-30.

2. Make sure the player has been heavily involved in the first team, he really needs to be one of your star players.

3. In July(ish) when the transfer window opens, transfer list him, set his squad value to not needed and make sure no asking price is set.

4. Progress the game to see what interest comes in, then decide the value to offer him at based on that. Man City, Real Madrid and Barcelona seem to be the best clubs to sell to for me.

5. Offer for around double, depending on which clubs are interested. You may get more if you take the payment in instalments over four years.

The other key point is the players need to be highly rated and on reasonable wages. If he's earning more than he deserves then he becomes harder to sell.

That's pretty much what ive been doing besides step 3. usually once a player starts getting near his 30's I start looking for a young replacement. Theres only a few players that I will hang onto just because I like them so much I cant bare to sell them. Off the top of my head I remember selling Eriksen for around 60mil(american) when he was valued at 30ish. Pastor at 90mil, Hamsik at 70mil, Neymar at 90mil.. all american funds btw.

In my my current game with Swansea I sold a 29 year old to Man Utd for £50m straight out, also in the same window sold a winger for £35m. This is the first time on this years game I've sold players for this sort of money. I went with offering the players for double their value and it worked, but this window I'm struggling to get that sort of offers for 2 top class defensive midfielders.

• 6 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2012 at 16:43, HoreTore said:

Perfectly reasonable IMO. The human manager is the one acting unrealistic, not the AI.

Yeah its unrealistic for a club to... how did you say earlier in your post? persist and offer crazy amounts of money for a player, thus forcing the other club to accept. Very unrealistic yes, indeed.

Archived