A Manager Quick Poll: The First player of many

I remember it like yesterday

Recently I join this fantastic forum, and for some time, I have been spekulation towards what my first post or topic should be.

Som her it is, all you crazy fm-fans.

Which was the first player you ever bought in either the orignal CM-series or the FM-series.

And I just dont what a name, but rather at complete history.

To start us of,

Marcel Desailly for Bayern München in CM 01/02.

- This was my first ever game, joining Bayern mostly because they were the only team i knew (besides the Great Man Utd) and also because I needed a easy side to begin with. At age 12, my experince with football, was limited to playing it and reading the sports pages, which combined with my poor ability to remember names, resulted in the purchase of Marcel.

But what a purchase. With a rock soild defence I won the league 3 times in a row, with a 40 game unbeaten record.

This was also the time where I first fell in love with game. And have been ever since.

I hope you will add your experience, and provide your own stories.

Sincerly

Gaeren

(Any mispelling and/or gramma errors are acceptable due to my danish nationality)

I remember it like yesterday

Recently I join this fantastic forum, and for some time, I have been spekulation towards what my first post or topic should be.

Som her it is, all you crazy fm-fans.

Which was the first player you ever bought in either the orignal CM-series or the FM-series.

And I just dont what a name, but rather at complete history.

To start us of,

Marcel Desailly for Bayern München in CM 01/02.

- This was my first ever game, joining Bayern mostly because they were the only team i knew (besides the Great Man Utd) and also because I needed a easy side to begin with. At age 12, my experince with football, was limited to playing it and reading the sports pages, which combined with my poor ability to remember names, resulted in the purchase of Marcel.

But what a purchase. With a rock soild defence I won the league 3 times in a row, with a 40 game unbeaten record.

This was also the time where I first fell in love with game. And have been ever since.

I hope you will add your experience, and provide your own stories.

Sincerly

Gaeren

(Any mispelling and/or gramma errors are acceptable due to my danish nationality)

Edwin de Graaf for my Leeds side in FM05. Ran about the pitch getting paid for two years and then fecked off to Southampton.

On the same day (but I consider him my 2nd signing because I had to wait for a work permit) was Kanga Akalé. He became an absolute ace with something like 20 assists in his 2nd season. Beautiful crosser of the ball and incredible speed.

No clue. None. Whatsoever.

Since I create a fictional team with no players to start the game, I generally have a lot of free transfers in the first month, and most of the contract offers go out the same day. I'm likely to sign five, six, seven players in one continue during these times.

My first ever CM game was as Plymouth Argyle in Division Three back on CM94. Always been into my LLM.

Think my first signing was someome called Barrick. Bought him from Cambridge.

What a game, so basic yet so addictive. I remember getting up at 4am as my dad went to work just to get a few hours play before school.

First signings i remember was back in CM2.

I was playing a game with my sisters boyfriend i was Man Utd he was Aston Villa.

I signed Teddy Sherringham and Michael Duberry for £6m each. Funny thing is that about a month later Man Utd actually signed Sherringham! Think Ferguson was looking over my shoulder!

When i first got 01/02 i didnt have a clue on what i was doing really.

I took over liverpool and couldnt think of anyone to buy. so whenever someone baught a player, i isntantly tryed to buy that player a day or two after moving to a new club.

Then when i found out i could be the manager of england i used to write many lists of as many english players as posible.

Good times.

I remember my first signing of CM97/98 was a dual signing.. Haruna Babangida from Barcelona and Tijjani Babangida from Ajax. Both lighting fast, good dribblers and good crossers. They could both play on either wing and with their skills I managed to score a record amount of goals in that season. The season after they were both very injury prone but I had decent backup.

I pulled another coup with Morientes, he was suffering that big injury he had that kept him out for a year, half a year into it Real Madrid wanted to flog him, I bid a stupidly low amount and he signed for me and sat there for half a year sucking up my wage bill, he played terribly when he managed to recover just before the end of the season. The next season though.. he was good! I think I sold him back to Real Madrid for a large fee later on.

When I played CM2 I didn't like buying players, I bought a few backup players but I stuck with the original Aston Villa first team. I think I bought Klinnsman.

My first signing was on the 1st ever cm. Been playing every single cm/fm series since '92! It was Mark Collis, don't think he was a real player, think he was someone on the development team of the 1st cm. He was at Cambridge Utd. There was another amazing 'made-up' player at Cambridge too but it was that long ago i can't remember his name....can anybody remember?

Right, it was annoying me who the other 'made-up' player was so i've just googled it. Turns out Mark Collis was only introduced onto an end of season data disk in '94....the other player was Ferah Orosco! So if that was '94 i can't remember my 1st ever signing. It might of been Gianluigi Lentini on CM Italia??? He was always injured for 18 months (think he had a car crash in real life) at the start of a new game....i'm not that old really!! I'm only 27!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by millwallrules:

On Football manager 2005 my first signing was an ageing cameroonian Patrick Mboma for my Millwall side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patrick M'Boma, What a legend icon_cool.gif Was mint at Sunderland, Bloody Peter Reid didn't keep him.

Cant remember my first ever signing but on the late 90's Cm editions if i couldn't get Cherno Samba on a free at the very start of the game then i would re-load. He was legendary.. Then went to see him in an England U18's match IRL and he was shockingly poor. I'llnever forget the effectthat had on me!

Big shout to the mention for Tonton Zola too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Sadly, I just can't remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs, but thats only because my first game was the first ever Championship Manager the 1 with all the fake names iirc.

And tbh I cant even remember the first signing I made in my first game of FM08. Short memory span

Mine was almost certainly Nii Lamptey on CM1 or 2. I think he was at Villa on the game and I brought him to Liverpool.

I can never remember what version of the game I started on - it would have been around May 1995 I'd guess

My main memories from the old school games were the inability to buy back Gazza, Platt and Des Walker into the English league.

Later on I bought Ferrah Orosco and Mark Collis for CM2 (not sure which version) and then later on Tonton with CM3. I seem to also remember that almost all of the Middlesboro squad on CM2 were fantastic and on CM1 Everton has a shed load of money to spend, as did Tranmere (100m I think?)

good thread btw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Sadly, I just can't remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here!

I remember what I think is my best signing ever.

Tonton Zola Moukoko

What a legend! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably my most memorable signing as well, was thinking about it the other day, him and Jonas Lunden are definately mine.

Ahhhh the good old days eh icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kccircle:

Mine was almost certainly Nii Lamptey on CM1 or 2. I think he was at Villa on the game and I brought him to Liverpool.

I can never remember what version of the game I started on - it would have been around May 1995 I'd guess

My main memories from the old school games were the inability to buy back Gazza, Platt and Des Walker into the English league.

Later on I bought Ferrah Orosco and Mark Collis for CM2 (not sure which version) and then later on Tonton with CM3. I seem to also remember that almost all of the Middlesboro squad on CM2 were fantastic and on CM1 Everton has a shed load of money to spend, as did Tranmere (100m I think?)

good thread btw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow!!! You've really brought back the old school cm! Nii Lamptey...what a legend! Glad i'm not the only one who remembers Mark Collis and Ferah Orosco.

I signed a lad called Gavin Cadwallader from Shrewsbury Town for Everton. He wasn't really Premiership quality, but Gav was a coach of my Sunday league team while he was pushing for first team at Shrewsbury so I felt obliged to. I went for Joe Hart too, having once nutmegged him in training. He, Billy Jones (of Crewe but now Preston I think) used to come down with Gav occasionally as they knew our manager. Good times.

Mark Collis@Cambridge Cm1

Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton Cm1 @Blackburn were deadly up until the point where Shearer would go abroad. I would keep restarting the game until Shearer was generated with a long contract.

Steve Brown@ Scunthorpe CM1- goal machine in the lower leagues

John Miles starts at Liverpool. Another goal machine. Think it was cm3. I joined Arsenal around 6 seasons into the game, he was my first signing. Think I paid Celtic 15 mill for him. He was my top scorer for a few years, I then resigned him when I joined AC Milan. In fact, I think I took half my team with me to Milan

Nii Lamptey from abroad CM1. Could play anywhere in midfield or up up front.

Ilya Tsymbalar (however u spell it icon_razz.gif), from Spartak Moscow on CM 97/98. Actually didn't play it myself. One of my friends played the game, and he started off for me with Arsenal. Told him i wanted that guy and i got him. Apparently he was great for me.

It was CM2, and I was playing as Rangers with a mate who had the game, I was Rangers, he was Aberdeen. I can't actually remember my first signing, but think it might have been Phil O'Donnell in a swap deal with Celtic, who took David Robertson off my hands, giving me £2 million as well. I can't believe I did a deal with Celtic!!!!!

Think it was Tommy Johnson for Sheff Wed back in 92 or 93. Funny seeing mention of Nii Lamptey, If you do a search for him on FM08 with the editor theres a Norweigan called something Nii Lamptey. Dont know if he's related but doesnt look even half as good.

So many memories...

First ones were of playing it on the Amiga... Champ Manager and Champ Manager Italia... being Udinese in Seria B and getting compensation for insuring any player that was 30+ and buying Cantona for £4m every time to see him score 70 per season icon_smile.gif or being Derby in Champ Manager and buying Ade Akinbiyi to destroy all defences.

Then onto the PC, my first game was as Liverpool and I beat Arsenal 7-2 with Neil Ruddock getting a hat-trick! lol then having an Anderlecht game on 97/98 I think and getting to the Champs League final in the 4th season beating the likes of Arsenal and Juventus along the way before losing to bogey team PSG.

Then CM3 where Robbie Keane was THE man to buy. Would cost about £10-12m but would guarantee you 50+ a season. In a later version (cant remember which) and with the February patch a young greek called Papadopoulos that you could buy for £100K used to become a world beater in 2 years and score 40+ a season...

Unfortunately as I get older the time I can spend on it becomes limited so there isn't many outstanding memories of late... give it time though icon_wink.gif

Archived