FM 2012 - Amazon vs. Steam

I'd like to point out that that isn't just a random statement, not paying tax reduces their overheads significantly so they can flog stuff for less. The consumer can choose to take the moral highground and pay slightly more, or buy the cheap version and have to pay more tax.

Doing comparisons between stock and digital distribution isn't always straight forward. Here is a somewhat naive (and completely from my own opinion) description of the main differences.

Amazon will have paid up front for all copies of FM. As part of standard stock rotation, they'll look to move older titles out so they can have extra money for buying newer titles. That's why they'll happily continually discount games as time goes on. The more games that remain unsold in their warehouse, the more money they don't have to buy new stock (which will sell quicker and for a higher price). There is nothing worse than having a warehouse full of goods that no one wants to buy.

Steam won't have paid anything upfront. They make their money essentially on transactions. Once their overheads are paid for (e.g servers to host the digital content), most of their income can be counted pure profit. What they essentially have is an unlimited amount of goods (games, stored as a digital copy) and are therefore not constrained by supply and demand as much as retail stores. They are essentially providing a service rather than selling you goods. They then factor in the price of their service into the end price of the game.

And at the end of the day, I think the majority of people would rather have an instant download service for games than have to go to a store between 9 and 5, and hope they have it in stock. Digital content providers, like Steam and iTunes know this. They know they don't really need to compete with retail stores, and so will keep the price of their content annoyingly high.

As a long time gamer I am happy to pay steam prices for the service as well as the game... too many lost hours to patching games over my life

It doesn't matter where you buy the game from, you'll have to install via Steam and have updates automatically forced.

As a long time gamer I am happy to pay steam prices for the service as well as the game... too many lost hours to patching games over my life

As a long time gamer I'm incensed that I have to suffer the 'service' Steam provides even when I bought the game elsewhere :p

Archived