Truro City - Anyone playing/played as them?

Believe me, high turnover of players is never a bad thing in the lower leagues. Most clubs do it, so only offering 1/2 year deals at a time will keep you ahead of the opposition and keep your wage budget at a good level. Keeping players for too long will only increases their wages through clauses and before you know it. You'll have average players who won't leave. Stats vary tbh. I'd always look for determination though.

You can always find better players than yours who are willing to sign for far less wages - which is highly annoying, so the quickest route to success in BSN/BSS is always to replace the entire squad as soon as possible.

You can find some replacement players in England, but the best value seems to be in the other British nations. After the first season, you can also sign lots of players who have been released from youth contracts, and they will sign for £5 a week.

I literally finished a three-season stint with Truro City this morning, resigning after losing the BSP Playoff final, so I definitely feel I can be of service here! Obviously our tactical approaches are likely to differ but if you're taking control of them while they're still in the Blue Square South, I can certainly offer some specific starting pointers.

In your first season, it's entirely possible to win the Blue Square South title if you buy wisely. Some players at the club when you arrive, such as Stewart Yetton, Andy Taylor, Arran Pugh and Jake Ash, are capable of being key players in this (Yetton can be top scorer in that division if used right), but you should relegate the wingers to bench duty right away. Hayles isn't very useful as more than a squad player but a very useful tutor and potential coach. As people higher in the thread have suggested, scouting for lower league players on free transfers in Scotland, Ireland and Wales is highly worthwhile, but also keep an eye on young players released by or available for loan at larger local clubs like Torquay, Plymouth, Exeter and Yeovil, a few higher like the Bristols and Portsmouth or even search to see which players have the club in their Favourites. When you hit the Premier start casting your net more broadly and try to build a team over a few seasons as it's a tricky division to escape. Stats around 10 are pretty good - I personally always look at Determination, Teamwork and Work Rate.

I struck lucky with my youth system in my first season: spending money on youth coaching and recruitment gave me five squad-quality youngsters by my third season, all with league potential. Because the club's reputation is low, using youth or resorting to non-contracts gets you some decent players without breaking the bank and means you can release them easily. Train just one young player to sell on or make a Wembley final and that debt will be immediately much better, but to stabilise in league football you might need to build slowly for a few seasons (which I didn't have the patience to do). Truro are a very rewarding team to play with though, so enjoy!

Truro was my Fm2011 save, (using the kinda holiday 1 year then reload till they go up). I had a lot of fun with them, took them to glory, and they're still winning things 15 years after I left them. Good side and good fun!.

As for tips, I suppose most of it has been said. Although I will say, on the short-term contract basis, it may be useful to have short term contracts due to high turnover, however there are some players you might want to sign for 2-3 years still - it really depends. I mean if you have a young player who'll develop and who is already good for the first team then he may well last up a few leagues, even if he becomes bit-part after a couple of promotions. Also you might be able to sign a player way above your station - who could easily muck it in league 2 or 1. So take it on a case-by-case basis, you might want some players on professional contracts, some semi, some amateur - it really depends. So yeah, I'm stating the obvious :p

I'd try to avoid high promotion wage increases, you'll have to include some such clause most likely, but most ask for 25%, dont give it - 10% at most. I always avoid yearly increases too.

So I've done 10 season as Truro and only made it to league one! (been there 5 seasons)

Sign Counago and Lacine Cherif.

I basically hit a brick wall in league one, I've been careful with money so had over a million to spend yet absolutely no one would join me.

I am flying at the moment, 9 games in, 27 points, 37 goals scored and 2 conceded. I feel good cos i have scouted all the players, i have set up and used my own made tactic and haven't used the editor to change anything...Have Walsall as a parent club who have sent a couple of players my way.

Just waiting for my slump to kick in though :lol:

Archived