More Platini lies

Jason the Yank

Remember the German fan crying after the 2nd Balotelli goal?

"It's too early for tears," intoned ESPN's Adrian Healey, calling the action. And it was. The German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung talked to the tearful woman: Her name was Andrea, she came from Dusseldorf, and she was surprised when she started getting texts from friends asking why she'd started crying with nearly an hour of play remaining. She hadn't, Andrea told them.

Instead, she said, she had been overcome with emotion during the playing of the national anthems, before the match kicked off. A camera recorded her then, and the footage was inserted into live TV later on, at the moment it would have the most impact. The emotional power of sport, on cue.

Don't blame Healey or ESPN. They didn't know, nor did ARD, the German network airing the match, nor did ZDF or SVT, or any of the other hundreds of channels that had won the regional broadcasting rights around the world. They merely aired the streaming live signal from UEFA—which on multiple occasions goosed the live footage by adding prerecorded shots, with zero acknowledgement.

http://deadspin.com/5923264/sorry-mario-balotelli-didnt-really-make-this-german-fan-cry-how-tv-lied-to-you-during-euro-2012

Yea this news broke yesterday here. Apparently they did so on several occasions during several matches.

If I heard it right then one who was "edited" was German manager Löw who was pictured making wild gestures and screaming at his players at a moment when he was really sitting calmly in his chair watching the action.

Pretty disgraceful from UEFA I'd say and I can't even see any point in doing it.

Edit:

I read a bit closer and Löw didn't scream at the players, he went after one of the ball boys and snatched the ball from the guy but in reality it happened during the pre-game warm-up. ;)

Maybe those girls weren't just publicity ****s changing their support as the teams got knocked out, maybe UEFA just photoshopped the different flags and kit on them to keep the ratings up.

Just trying to get a bit of 'story' going and thought no one would check. I remember the scene actually at the time and thought it odd someone was crying, it was hardly 'all hope is lost' and he did catch that pic pretty quick after the goal IIRC

can't start doing this sort of stuff, people area going to become wary of what they are watching.

did they also edit the matches with flashy dribbles etc from earlier games? of course not, but what's stopping them from inserting recorded footage of players showing emotions during a match etc to spice it up?

haha yeah that would be handy. Show the game and then splice in someone scoring a goal in different weather and kit and stuff and then change the scoreline to make it more interesting "why are England not chasing this, they are 3-0 down"!

:D gills! I wasn't aware of any of this either, quite shocking tbh. Shouldn't be allowed to happen.

In fact, shouldn't the stations who "bought" live footage be able to sue somehow, the fact that the footage quite clearly wasn't "as-sold"?

:D gills! I wasn't aware of any of this either, quite shocking tbh. Shouldn't be allowed to happen.

In fact, shouldn't the stations who "bought" live footage be able to sue somehow, the fact that the footage quite clearly wasn't "as-sold"?

I think you'll find it is already prevalent. That it has spread towards broadcasters trying to make football more "authentic" is deeply worrying. God knows what the political media are doing!

Archived