A question about running many leagues/RAM

hello guys i have this question. I ve loaded almost every league in the game and when I play the game and I also have firefox opened combined they consume 70% of my RAM. do u think that I ll have a problem lets say after 20seasons in the game ? (I dont care if its slow I m only afraid of crash dumps)

I have an intel core duo 2.33 with 4giga ram (only 3 giga can be used)

I'm afraid to say that your game will crash due to insufficient system RAM, I run every league & at it's peak FM has addressed 3.2GB of RAM with the average being 2.5GB.

Once you factor in the RAM usage of your OS & other programmes you will not have enough free RAM to run such a large game setup.

As a wild stab in the dark I'll go for a crash sometime after 3 seasons.

It's not about being able to address all 4GB of RAM, your problem is that you do not have enough RAM to run a large FM game.

As I type my PC is using 4.05GB to run FM, OS, Chrome & the other various background programmes.

hello guys i have this question. I ve loaded almost every league in the game and when I play the game and I also have firefox opened combined they consume 70% of my RAM. do u think that I ll have a problem lets say after 20seasons in the game ? (I dont care if its slow I m only afraid of crash dumps)

I have an intel core duo 2.33 with 4giga ram (only 3 giga can be used)

You must pay attention to the recommended set up- loading such a large set up will cause a crash eventually when you run out of memory

You must pay attention to the recommended set up- loading such a large set up will cause a crash eventually when you run out of memory

you know I played football manager 10 and I had loaded all leagues and I had passed 10 seasons and I never experienced a crush dump. football manager 2012 needs more RAM than 2010 ?

you know I played football manager 10 and I had loaded all leagues and I had passed 10 seasons and I never experienced a crush dump. football manager 2012 needs more RAM than 2010 ?

As the game progresses from one version to the next, it becomes more intensive, so what you could run in previous versions has no bearing on todays game- that is why there is a recommended set up, which you should pay heed to.

FM will use all available cores & will make use of hyper-threading when processing full detail match data.

As for your 2010 comment that's just the nature of the beast, the minimum spec's have not increased but due to the increased depth in each new release the requirements to run larger gameworlds will always increase.

I fully expect that unless SI switch to 64bit it will become impossible to run all league games on FM13 or FM14.

• 3 months later...

Hello, I have similar problem. I made 2 saves, one with 9 leagues (only top ones from each nations), and another save 6 leagues only from one nation. First save running fine without dumps but second one crashing game when I wanna start match. First save uses 1.5 GB ram, 2nd save uses almost 4 GB just when I load game save. Why is so big difference? I have 64 bit windows 7, 6 GB ram, quad core processor, enough free space on hard drive. I think my second save crashes just because amount of ram memory since 2-3 GB ram is used by other computer processes including browsers and similar.

It's no use. What "runs comfortably" is up to each and every person. What pace (of the game) is perfectly fine for me, will perhaps be too slow for you. There is no limit to what your processor can cope with, as such. But you will reach a point where the game simply progresses too slow for your liking. For me, I haven't reached that point yet, even with every league in the game in play.

Neither should a computer crash because one "runs out of memory". Windows is very good at allocating memory so that this should not happen. Also, that's what the page file (also called swap file) is there for. If you have a meager amount of RAM installed in your computer, you should definately have one of those. Having to use your hard disk as an extension to your RAM is not optimal, it will slow down the game even more, but you should not crash. If you do anyway, you probably have a very unstable/faulty and/or badly set up system.

well that's not true in the slightest there thomit... a perfectly healthy system will still crash dump when the software fails... and it will fail when RAM becomes insufficient.

the recommended set up button is perfectly useful.. if you take it as such... recommended.... and then take it from there. Anything too above the recommended setup is highly likely to cause crash dumps later on in the game.. it's simple and as a tool to give an indication... it's perfect.

I have never experienced crashes with FM 12, despite playing with all leagues, and maxed out database, through 12-13 game seasons. I certainly have enough RAM, much more than FM is going to ever use. But enough RAM is enough - that should not be a reason why you crash then. And in any case - if Windows finds that there is not sufficient space in your RAM to hold vital data in order to run itself and whatever else you're doing, it starts to allocate memory into the page file. In effect it uses hard disk space to act as RAM. This will be slower than RAM, but still. You will not run out of memory space, unless you have severly limited the space allocated to the page file, or gotten rid of it entirely. As default, Windows allocates a size for your page file that is at least double that you have as installed RAM. Or maybe it was four times installed RAM, I don't remember. Me, I have gotten rid of the page file entirely, as I have enough RAM installed for any use I can think of.

Now, if you get crashes because of a poorly programmed software, maybe one that hasn't implented proper use of memory - that is something else entirely. Maybe FM is one of those, I don't know - but in my experience, no. I find FM 12 to be very stable indeed - far more stable than any other game I have played, really.

I'm glad you've never experienced a crash... but I'm going to go ahead and guess you've got 6gb ram or more on a machine with a mid to top range cpu

what I was attesting to was that :

"Neither should a computer crash because one "runs out of memory"

is just plain ol' false... ask someone who has only 3-4 gig ram how running all leagues max database goes for them...

also... we're talking about FM.. I'll let you decide if you count that as poorly coded software or not

i have a intel i5 and 16gb of ram and my game crash dumps after every game near enough all the time!! does my head in! - i do have an ATI GPU tho which i have heard (FOR SOME REASON!) fm12 has a problem with

after every game is a huge issue... and nothing to do with your hardware id hazard a guess...

I'm glad you've never experienced a crash... but I'm going to go ahead and guess you've got 6gb ram or more on a machine with a mid to top range cpu

what I was attesting to was that :

"Neither should a computer crash because one "runs out of memory"

is just plain ol' false... ask someone who has only 3-4 gig ram how running all leagues max database goes for them...

also... we're talking about FM.. I'll let you decide if you count that as poorly coded software or not

It doesn't really matter, Welshace. You should not crash because of too little memory space, or lack of processor power, under normal circumstances. You may however much more commonly crash as a result of poorly coded software.

To put it like this: If FM can't handle Windows allocating some of it's memory needs to the page file, then that is not the fault of Windows, or your hardware. It's a faulty FM then.

If you try to run all leagues and huge database with an antique processor, then that is you being overly optimistic :) Though I can't imagine crashes occuring because of overload with reasonably modern processors, even if you ask a lot of them. A severe slowdown to the point of it getting useless, in extreme cases - yes. Perhaps even computers shutting down because of too high temperatures, specially with laptops. But regular crashes? That is allmost exclusively the software's fault, in my humble opinion.

Hi and sorry to jump on this thread. I am luck enough to play FM at work and we are now having a new server and workstations installed. I was hoping if you guys could take a look at the machine that they are intending to put in for me and let me know if it will run FM13 ok? :-

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=5281491

It will have an additional 4GB of RAM installed taking me up to 8GB. There is no graphics card installed but I dont have time to watch matches at work and just watch the commentary anyway.

Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and sorry to jump on this thread. I am luck enough to play FM at work and we are now having a new server and workstations installed. I was hoping if you guys could take a look at the machine that they are intending to put in for me and let me know if it will run FM13 ok? :-

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=5281491

It will have an additional 4GB of RAM installed taking me up to 8GB. There is no graphics card installed but I dont have time to watch matches at work and just watch the commentary anyway.

Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!

yes... and you'll probably find running matches in 3d easy too

It doesn't really matter, Welshace. You should not crash because of too little memory space, or lack of processor power, under normal circumstances. You may however much more commonly crash as a result of poorly coded software.

To put it like this: If FM can't handle Windows allocating some of it's memory needs to the page file, then that is not the fault of Windows, or your hardware. It's a faulty FM then.

If you try to run all leagues and huge database with an antique processor, then that is you being overly optimistic :) Though I can't imagine crashes occuring because of overload with reasonably modern processors, even if you ask a lot of them. A severe slowdown to the point of it getting useless, in extreme cases - yes. Perhaps even computers shutting down because of too high temperatures, specially with laptops. But regular crashes? That is allmost exclusively the software's fault, in my humble opinion.

off topic matey...

we were talking about FM ... and the recommended setup button.... how windows optimises memory makes little difference here... FM will crash if you don't have enough ram.. it's a really quite simple concept

Not off topic at all. Just trying to establish the difference between crashes as a result of inadequate hardware as opposed to software fault. You say it's crashes due to lack of RAM and/or processor power - I say it's probably due to poorly programmed software - FM in this case. You should not crash even with as low as 2 GB RAM, as long as your OS is free to allocate memory to the page file. Lack of memory space very very rarely occur. You still have 4 GB or more available memory space in your page file to handle memory needs, in such a case. If it crashes, it is more probable that this is because of FM handling such a scenario poorly, maybe even not at all, not because of your hardware.

That's my point.

honestly... i'm a simple sorta fella thomit.... and wasn't trying to start a debate so i apologise..

but my point was ...

while playing fm .... if you have <4gb ram .. id use the recommend set up option and take that as an indicator.. and feel free to add a few more leagues and a couple of 10's of thousands extra players .. but use it as an indicator as it is useful..

as, for whatever reason, and by that i mean software or not ( a point i wasnt contesting), fm will fail over long periods of time due to lack of resources.... and the slowdown/ crash dumps are inevitable...

i've tried to put it in as simple terms as i can so you don't find anymore reason to go off on a computer architecture debate which has nothing to do with Football manager... i have enough of those at work :)

Well.

Bottom line is: Have proper enough hardware so that you are not forcing FM to make mistakes :) To be safe, have 6 GB of RAM (with a 64 bit OS), and a reasonably modern processor. The more powerful the better. But you shouldn't have any problems running any amount of leagues you want then. It will be slow - depending on the processor of course - but it shouldn't crash, at least. Can we agree then?

At least this is my experience with FM 12. I can run it just as well, just as "big", on 6 GB of RAM as well as 12 GB. Never had a crash either way, as I have already said.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot load my save game with just one league in season 2017-2018 because fm takes up too much ram.

I have 4gb and when I have nothing running there are 3,4 free gb of ram.

When I load the saved game fm starts taking up memory and when it reaches 3,4 gb the game crashes.

So yes, fm is a badly programmed software.

what... like .... the recommended set up button when you start a new game for instance?

This is a slightly off topic question but I'm curious about that recommended set up button. Is it a "recommended set up for your machine" button or is it just FMs recommended set up?

I'm afraid to say that your game will crash due to insufficient system RAM, I run every league & at it's peak FM has addressed 3.2GB of RAM with the average being 2.5GB.

Once you factor in the RAM usage of your OS & other programmes you will not have enough free RAM to run such a large game setup.

As a wild stab in the dark I'll go for a crash sometime after 3 seasons.

How many leagues then? and how many players at start? Is your game super slow? Sometimes it takes 5 minutes for Processing to complete on a turn.

Archived