Finding the best regens

I have seen people on these forums have awesome regens, usually getting them through their youth academy

My afc telford side are 4th in the premier league it 2029 or so, but i havent had one first teamer come through my acadamy, i have state of the art youth and top training facilities.

Anyone have any advice, are things like tutoring very useful?

thanks in advance guys

How about recruitment network? And your scouting knowledge? Both play a small part.

Personally I try to sign talented 17-20 year olds, any one who comes through the youth system is just a bonus.

Use high quality scouts, make SURE they have a good personality (ambitious or professional, for e.g.), high determination (14+) helps. Then see what their mental skills are like, at a young age. Mainly look at composure and decisions, and then the more position specific ones, positioning for a defender, off-the-ball for an attacker, anticipation is another good one, for mids, wingers, etc. Don't worry TOO much about physical attributes for players that young, they will tend to improve A LOT with proper training and first team playing time.

yeah my youth recruitment and juniour coaching are above average i think, i have decent scouts but the last good young player i got cost me 8.75 million

In my experience youth recruitment and junior coaching are the ones that decide how good youngsters you will produce. Request them to be improved.

TBH if I'm building up a club, and I very much like to bring through youngsters, improving youth facilities is the last thing I spend money on. The way I have understood, youth facilities are where your younsters train after they have been promoted from your academy - but you can promote them to reserves/first team and they can train full-time in the main training facilities!

yeah i cant get a youth player coming through better than the potential to be a good PL player in the future, and i signed a 16 year old with 5 star potential and he never really lived up to it... is there a best way to kind of nuture the player?

Tbh, if you're a top team scouting will only find the players a year or two too late. Initial reports always severely underestimate a player's potential unless he's through your own youth team.

The scouts anticipate a player's potential on how good they can become at their current club. So if you are managing Real Madrid and your scouts find a future decentish first-team player in the 5th African Jungle division you know you have a real gem there.

The scouts anticipate a player's potential on how good they can become at their current club. So if you are managing Real Madrid and your scouts find a future decentish first-team player in the 5th African Jungle division you know you have a real gem there.

Are you sure this is how it works?

I'm aware of how it works but I don't agree.

An example; Manchester United now.

A youth regen coming through the U18's will usually get a 3-4star rating if he's world class (170+PA) because the staff tend to know the players.

A youth regen over in Germany's lower leagues or whatever may on the first scout report get a 1-2 star rating. Jean Guerin (190PA) was rated 2 star despite my backline not being above 170PA/CA at the time. Once he's in the club and a few months down the line the report is revised. I think he's a 4star rated PA player on the reports now. Point is, scouts need time to analyse youth prospects for on PA basis. Hence why Jean Bertrand who they all told me not to get (and I didn't get cos he's injury prone anyway) is now being touted as the best thing since sliced bread by same scouts.

Hence, if you're going to poach, the scouts are going to be pretty useless. In my opinion anyway.

Well, in FM11 I have had good and bad experience with scouts. My club's leading goal scorer (Sevilla) was not highly touted by the scouts, but I liked the look of him, and he "score[d] when he wants". Nowadays I look for what they can tell me re: consistency, pressure, personality, and the gap between PA and CA, and I make the final judgement. You won't find the players that mature quicker using scouts though, you have to look at match ratings for various clubs/leagues and kind of do that yourself, IMO.

Archived