How should I handle this?

Plodding along in my career, currently in 5th season. The team is on good form, winning most matches. We get to a home match, we're solid favorites. The match starts, we're looking very good, very confident, playing silky attacking football and winning quite easily 3-0, then suddenly the game crashes. Luckily I saved the game right before my last match so I'm not too upset about it. I restart and replay the match. What I get is a complete opposite of what I saw when I played this match initially. My team now looks a complete shadow of themselves. We are completely inept in attack and asleep in defense. We end up loosing 1-4 to a team we should be handily beating and were beating very comfortably in our initial outing prior to the crash. What should I do in these situations? It seems the crash destroyed my team's momentum and form completely.

I did another experiment. I loaded up another save on the same career but from an earlier date. I had a tough away match to play in which we were slight underdogs. First time we got hammered 0-4, after replaying we won easily 3-0, replaying a third time we lost 0-3, then replaying for the forth time we won 2-0 and looked comfortable. In all four replays I played in exactly same manner with same team talks. It almost seems like the randomness factor is a bit off or something. Does anyone notice this?

I would be concerned if you got the same result each time tbh.

Once the "replay" kicks off it changes from the match you played. Maybe in the first game the ball was passed back to your MC from kickoff, maybe in the replay it was hit forward to your winger, from there different choices were made by different players and very quickly you have a totally different match. Goals make a huge difference, especially the first one, tactics change during a match, subs are brought on.

Basically no two matches are identical even when the same lineups are used.

It's usually down to team talks on both sides and form. You can easily identify when the game AI has triggered for a hammering or near enough (or I can anyway) and rectify it (most of the time) with a mentality change.

For that one game I'd just grin and bear it, but if you do feel cheated just reload till you win it. Crashing during a game only happened once for me and I lost that original game but went on to win it in the replay heh ah well.

I understand that each match is different and that AI will vary team talks. What bothers me mainly is the fact that by restarting a game your team's form is essentially wiped and any kind of momentum you managed to build up is gone. That seems rather disturbing and it does make feel somewhat cheated. It's not the first time the game crashed at crucial moments and these led to ruined campaigns in the past. There's really nothing I, as a player, can do about crashes.

I always ask myself;

"If you lost a match and the game crashed and then won the replay, would you keep playing the match over until you lost again?"

The answer is no - So I just take the next result on the chin, win/lose or draw.

This is my take on the situation, if I ever suffer a crash & have to replay matches I just holiday the matches & accept whatever result(s) comes my way.

Reloading until you get the win has always been a concept that I cannot understand, pointless way to play imo but if that's how people get enjoyment from the game who am I to argue.

What is a sin is reloading games to ensure victory & then bragging about the win, that is just low down dirty.

Whats I find worse is a crash after getting a really nice youth intake only to get garbage when loaded back up. I auto-save weekly so at worst I will have to replay 2 matches at most but you might as well just take whatever result you get. I couldn't be arsed reloading as I like to get through lots of seasons. I actually had a crash after winning a league once and lost on the replay and still accepted it, although second was enough for promotion so it didn't test my resolve to the limit.

If the game crashes after a game is over, or during the game when the result is clear, I reload, holiday the match, and keep doing this until I get the same result. And yes I even do this when I lose. I would feel as though I was cheating otherwise, in the same way I'd feel cheated if I didn't get the win again I'd previously earned.

When the result is a clear win for you I would reload until I got the same result. If it was a clear loss I would take whatever the reload gave me, there's a limit to my honesty!

One of the worst dilemmas I had in a crash situation was when I had just missed out on signing a player- my reload was before I had offered a contract: do I offer the same bid or go higher?

My game has the tendency to freeze as my laptop is old and well not very good, but when I have to replay a match I simply just play the game again. It can be extremely frustrating when your 4-0 win turns to a 1-1 draw. I do allow myself to change tactics etc though if things hadnt gone well before the freeze/crash! So similar to HAZ32 theres a limit to my honesty!

Also on a completely pointless side note back in fm2009 which was my first fm experience I use to continously cheat by reloading the game until I won(I feel I had to tell someone :lol:). The game is so much better playing it properly and is a much more enjoyable experience now.

The one problem with replaying is that every other result will be different in the game world, it is impossible to replicate what originally happened! Whilst you keep replaying to recreate your previous result what is happening around you in the league/cup competitions?

I had tho problem a few days ago game crashes just after I drew 0-0 at home against a very poor team. Replayed it fully about 8-9 times won every time easily then finally managed to get a 0-0 . I would feel like I cheated if I had taken one of them wins

Was beating Man City away with 6 matches to go 3-0 with my Sunderland side 5 mins to go and the game crashed ! Reloaded the game and Man City won 1-0 my team were a shadow of themselves from the first game but I decided I won't reload and carry on !! Anyway ended up missing out on champions league by a point !!

Whats I find worse is a crash after getting a really nice youth intake only to get garbage when loaded back up. I auto-save weekly so at worst I will have to replay 2 matches at most but you might as well just take whatever result you get. I couldn't be arsed reloading as I like to get through lots of seasons. I actually had a crash after winning a league once and lost on the replay and still accepted it, although second was enough for promotion so it didn't test my resolve to the limit.

As soon as I see the youth intake, before I even look at the players I save the game. This removes the possibility of a crash when I have just had Lionel Messi's clone promoted at 15. It also removes the temptation to reload when in reality the player in question is more like my clone in terms of ability.

Archived