Managing Southampton: Morale issue towards the end of the season

Hello fellow managers,

Finally decided to start a game with a team in the second division. I chose the Saints. Needless to say, I set expectations at a top-half finish, and by mid-season, my team was sitting with a five point lead in second position (Nottingham Forest remained at the top of the table for a majority of the time). I also promised my players high bonuses if they won the league.

Morale was good, and my team was dubbed by the media as 'high-flying Southampton'. Made some very good signings in the mid-season break too. Fast forward, and 75% through the season, I lost to Portsmouth (2-1). Still managed a couple of wins and remain 2nd in the league. However, my team's performance dropped noticeably as I drew 0-0 with teams that I should be able to defeat quite comfortably. I switched to my defensive formations being trained in Match Preparation, and I began to scrape 1-0 wins with a draw here and there.

Towards the end, and two consecutive defeats later, my team's morale began to drop, like it was hit by a demotivational plague. A few players morale remain on 'Good', but most ranged from Poor to Very Poor. Rickey Lambert stopped finding the goal, too. I was missing Clear cut chances left, right , and centre. I later adopted a 'Go out there and enjoy yourselves' approach, which worked for two games or so, but morale was STILL low. Held a team-meeting, but to no avail as morale increased VERY slightly. I still managed to get some 1-0 wins through a defensive game-plan, but lady luck was on my side. To be quite fair, Nottingham Forest also dropped MANY points, as they sit at the top of the table with a 5 point lead. However, their squad morale is ranging from 'Okay', 'Good', and a few 'very Good' (mostly green arrows, basically). One more match to go, and I've dropped to 3rd, however, I still secured a play-off spot.

My question, dear managers, is why the hell did this steep drop in morale occur, and how do I go about fixing it? Even when morale increased to 'Okay' and 'good', it would drop once again just before a match. Players' information tab doesn't seem to be showing me anything. I have a play-off coming soon against Blackpool, and judging from my morale (and comparing it to theirs), it seems like I'm destined for failure :(

I believe it is a nervousness which sets into a squad when challenging for a league title. Squeaky bum time if you like. To be fair it sounds like you done most of the things you could with regards raising morale. I have noticed though that sometimes with high overachieving teams there seems to be signs of both complacency and nervousness at the same time.

The only thing I would suggest is playing more defensively (which you already tried) and maybe starting any older heads with good personalities into the side for younger players even if they are not as talented.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, must be the pressure of expectation. But still, I expected to see some sort of text on the information tab of players..

Its weird how the morale keeps going down. You know how sometimes when you set low bonuses, a player's morale would stick around 'Slightly Poor' and 'Very poor' till mid-season? That's exactly how my squad's morale seems to be operating. I would really love to hear some input from people who've underwent the battle for promotion.

It has to be said that it is harder motivating players in the first season of a new save unless you pick a high starting rep as well. If you were a couple of seasons in then I think the steps you've taken would probably have worked better.

I do see what you're saying.. but why would my team suddenly become conscious of my rep so far ahead in season? I mean there were 10 - 12 games to go when the decline in morale began to occur.. It boggles the mind :mad:

I am seven seasons into my Southampton save, and took 1st in the Championship my first season. I do not recall my players ever having a morale drop--not in any of my seasons. A few bad spells on the pitch, but never morale below average--and even that was rare. I think I credit Cork as being my captain from the beginning, but not sure how much an effect a captain has really.

In previous FMs, I've had spells where I was sticking higher morale "fringe" players in out of desperation. Either way, I would say your Southampton side would be good enough to pull through it.

For those who are interested in the followup:

I ended up losing 1-0 to Bristol City on Away, and then won them 1-0 at home, eventually won at penalties (very unnerving!)

I played Derby for the play-off spot, and won 2-0 (goals in the 80th and 88th minute.. again, very unnerving). The morale of my chosen squad ranged from Good to Okay. Some were still poor, but I did my best not to field them.

So yeah, I secured promotion with the skin of my teeth! Now let's see how I fare in the PL. If anyone has an answer as to why the aforemtnioned morale drop occured, then by all means feel free to post your input. I could use the advice for future games.

Archived