SSD with FM2012

You need to first understand how a computer works....

A computer will read data into RAM - this is fast memory and when it needs another bit of data it loads that into RAM. There are very clever algorithms that work out what is needed (or could be needed) and what can be removed.

An easy way to see this is to open something like Excel in your machine... it takes a few seconds to load. Now close it and reopen it - it's open instantly... thats because the data for it is still in the RAM. Once it is out of RAM it is loaded in again when it is needed.

When it needs to load data in it looks in the HD - the speed of a HD is far slower than RAM - which is why lots of RAM is preferable.

Due to this a lot of clever people devised SSD which as they have no moving parts have really fast read times - these read times are still slower than RAM though.

So basically what you should be doing is getting a shed load of RAM in your machine as that's what is used when running programs. When more data is required the HD is required - this is where the SSD will be useful.

I have no numbers though on how often FM requires to load new data into memory.

In short it will make a difference, but i don't believe that it will be something that is worthy of the cost of these SSDs. If you want a visible improvement buy more RAM

SSD will be great for putting your OS on - load your computer up quicker. But for things like FM, a standard HD will be fine and wont be too much difference - plus its cheaper. As themoffster says, your better off making sure you have 8gb of ram and a decent processor.

Like the others have said its not much of a speed improvement. I bought one and put my game son it, some games really like it, the type that loadlevels but this game seems not to be improved much if at all. Saving and loading times but thats about it.

I ended up moving FM12 back to my data drive (7200rpm HD) and saving the space on my SSD for games that get a boost with it.

themoffster - Don't expect me to read that after your first line.

---

I plan to get an SSD anyway, just wanted to see how people have found it, cheers for the help people.

I did check to see how much FM12 strains my HDD, which turned out to be quite a bit when loading large player lists etc

Computer is fairly old(Dimension 9200) but upgraded to the best it can currently, until I invest in a new machine.

Archived