England vs Italy - Sunday 19:45

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urgh, getting nervous now. I had been quietly confident but closer we get the less I feel that.

Just please win England. Would be fantastic. Beating a top team in the knockout stage for the first time like ever. Making a Semi final for the first time in ages. Would all be awesome. Wouldn't even care if it resulted in a battering from Germany in the next round.

Things are getting dangerously optimistic. I think we're capable of beating Italy and I think Italy are capable of beating us too. It's a proper competitive game and I hope we turn up and play well, that's all you can ask and then see what happens. We don't have anything to fear and they maybe think likewise. It's these small margins. Here we are in 1/4 finals otherwise known as 'got out of the group' and not far away is a semi final appearance and a sense of 'proper' achivement.

Let's size the moment. It's better than playing an in form Spain or Germany so we have every reason to think we're in with a shout here. Keep our concentration, take our chances and don't get ahead of ourselves at any time.

Come one!!

Urgh, getting nervous now. I had been quietly confident but closer we get the less I feel that.

Just please win England. Would be fantastic. Beating a top team in the knockout stage for the first time like ever. Making a Semi final for the first time in ages. Would all be awesome. Wouldn't even care if it resulted in a battering from Germany in the next round.

I feel exactly the same as you!

Be quite pleased if Montolivo is playing instead of Motta.

I didn't watch the Ireland-Italy game, but as frustrating as Montolivo is surely he's better at playing the trequartista role over Thiago Motta? I was very amused to read that Motta was played in that position. :confused:

Milner :( I'm hoping if I slag him off enough he'll have a blinder... chances are he'll just be crap again.

One of my colleagues is Italian, I'd quite like this to go well so he can't swan around like he owns the place.

He hasn't been great, but I'm more comfortable having Milner at right midfield than having both Walcott and Johnson on the right.

The issue is that Bonucci isn't a traditional central defender, but is a libero who reads the game and gives passes. When Juventus played 4-3-3, he was solid because he was helped by Chiellini on the left. When Juventus played 3-5-2, he was solid by his own ability.

I think that Montolivo is the weakest, but he can prove me wrong today as a trequartista. Otherwise, he'll be officially rubbish.

And yet Montolivo says his best position is in front of the defence.

And I don't buy that Bonucci is a libero thing. It's not like we're playing in an age of 3-5-2, where he's been brought up playing in the middle and now all of a sudden is being asked to do something else. He earned his move to Juve playing in a four man defence at Bari, he earned his first call up for Italy playing in a four man defence. He's not totally incapable.

Nervous....nervous....and am going to have to sit through 90/120+ minutes of either pain or relief. I hate big games. I want to support Scotland or Rep of Ireland, they always seem to have fun watching their team. :)

Please England. Please. Do it. So I can go through it all again against Germany on Thurs. :D

Archived