Why do my players have to re-learn formations every season?

So in pre-season my players familiarity of my tactics drops right down and they have to re-learn them all over again. Why is this? They've been playing them fine for a whole season... why the drop in familiarity - do they have the memory of a goldfish or something?

Very annoying indeed...

Unless there's a valid reason for the drop (ie. you signed four-five new players for the Starting XI) it just makes no sense... Two months (or less) of holiday shouldn't be enough for the players to "forget" how to play a formation/style they've ben perfectly familiar with.

I'm tempted to blame the off season holidays. but you shouldn't completely forget it, especially if you've been playing it all season.

I rarely stick with one formation for multiple seasons though, I like to be unpredicatble

I think it's right that there is a little drop between seasons because of a lack of practice, but currently the drop is too large. On my current save I've signed 3 new players, got rid of 3, and the familiarity has dropped 70-75% in all areas. This shouldn't happen in a time frame of 2 months.

I introduced a 3322 at Torquay and it started with zero familiarity and by February they had it maxed. Start of the next season, 50% drop all areas. But the more seasons I completed the less decline inherited when players came back. After 13 seasons the drop is minimal.

I would say that 95% of my signings would be teenagers who would play this way in reserves before coming into the first team. I'm sure if you buy buy buy its going to be a bigger problem.

Archived