How many goals to you get out of your CB's?

Without using any corner exploits, this is the most ive had. All from corners I think except one penalty when he was on for a hat trick and he decided to take it, I have my corner taker deliver to the near post and he attacks the near post, very successful. I'm hoping he can hit the 20+ mark as we have a fair few games left!

Right click, open image in new tab for a bigger view.

papadop.jpg

My centre backs at Wigan pop up with a few goals throughout the season. I have my corners set to 'deliver to near post' but haven't set who to attack front post.

Jonathan Mensah - Played 19(3) Scored 6

Danny Wilson - Played 31(4) Scored 6

Richie De Laet - Played 29(1) Scored 2

Wouldnt the corner exploit end up with far more than 16 goals though? I have him attacking the front post and thats it, the corner never reaches him or gets cut out majority of the time

I have my striker attacking the near post and he gets 20-30 goals each season doing that. Might not be as good as previous exploits, but when you have a corner/free kick set up that you do 100% of the time and the AI simply can't figure out how to stop it or is unable to anticipate it, isn't that an exploit of a ME weakness?

What are the duties of your goal scorers, Gizmo7?
Haven't tounched them. I know one of my centre halves attacks the front post, but I often rotate. Those figures aren't unrealistic therefore I don't see it as an exploit.

There will always be someone who is automatically set to attack the near post by default, usually a centre half.

As long as the AI is doing the same thing (why I use default settings) then its not an exploit IMO.

How can I exploit the ME when I dont customize my corners?

Any settings that take advantage of a weakness in the ME can be considered an exploit. The fact that default settings do this means nothing as its still a setting.

As I always say, its your game, play it how you want but if you score significantly more goals from corners than other teams in the game then you are exploiting a ME weakness.

Any settings that take advantage of a weakness in the ME can be considered an exploit. The fact that default settings do this means nothing as its still a setting.

As I always say, its your game, play it how you want but if you score significantly more goals from corners than other teams in the game then you are exploiting a ME weakness.

How could I score any more goals than any other team in the game when I use the same setting?

With the near post thingie, my world class centerback managed to become top scorer in the league one season. Without it, he's still good enough to score at least five headers per season.

How could I score any more goals than any other team in the game when I use the same setting?

Well you look at the league stats and if the other teams have scored between say 7 & 15 goals from corners while you have 30+ then its fair to say you are taking advantage of a weakness.

Personally if you are happy about that then fine but for me I couldn't play a save that way.

How do you know the AI has the same corner settings you have even on the default settings?

As for me I have people attack both posts and attacking from deep. Corner distribution is set to mixed so they are aimed all over the place. My CBs score a couple goals a season.

In my last save, Vidic went on a tear scoring 7 in 5 and the didn't score for the rest of the season.

Default is never an exploit - I mean really, since it's default, it'd presumably be what the game was tested with most as a lot of people can't be bothered to set up corners, So the number of goals it provides must be within the realm of what they intend it to be. I guess the only exception is if you put a player there with massive off the ball skill as well as insane heading skills, but that's going for a somewhat a-typical player.

Well you look at the league stats and if the other teams have scored between say 7 & 15 goals from corners while you have 30+ then its fair to say you are taking advantage of a weakness.

Personally if you are happy about that then fine but for me I couldn't play a save that way.

Default is never an exploit - I mean really, since it's default, it'd presumably be what the game was tested with most as a lot of people can't be bothered to set up corners, So the number of goals it provides must be within the realm of what they intend it to be. I guess the only exception is if you put a player there with massive off the ball skill as well as insane heading skills, but that's going for a somewhat a-typical player.

Trolls aside, Krald is right. Or would Cougar refuse to take corners?

Simply put Krald is wrong.

A) Some settings take advantage of the ME or if you like exploit it.

B) The default setting is, basically put, still a setting and since we know (A) then it follows that the default setting can exploit the ME.

The easiest way by far to keep corners within reason is to leave the delivery on "mixed"

Had a 6'8" Czech CB who'd stand at the far post. All corners went to him. Don't think that's an exploit. Either way his jumping was 17, strength 18 and heading 14. He was well into double figures in the Championship. I was at Torquay, £20m in the bank, in Europe, riches of Premier league coming my way and the chairman sold him for £2.6m to Spurs. Grrr...

I just use default instructions. I'd rather the flaw in the engine not be there, but I'm not going to gimp myself by setting up corner instructions specifically to avoid going to near post, as the AI is doing it as well. My centre backs usually grab a few between them. I did have one ridiculous season for Bologna where my centre back got 19 goals in 41 competitive games, but that wasn't intentional on my part, it's just that he was a beast and was on fire that year.

To put it very simply, the corner exploit is NOT to simply set delivery to first post. What the exploit does is to draw away people from the first post so that the guy attacking near post is more or less alone with a defender and a keeper. If that player is good enough, he will be extremely efficient on corners, at least a goal per match. It is very difficult to lose games with this advantage and this means you will not have to do any actual managing to win everything. Thus it's an exploit that takes away from the fun of the game in mine and many others' opinion.

However, if your team scores 100 goals in a Premier League season, it is not very unusual that 20 of them came from corners. That should be expected, in fact. 1/5 goals oncorners - then you are good at it and it's an important part of football. If the same centre-back scores all of them, you have an unusual circumstance. This means you have a defender that is fighting for the top goalscorer title. Since the likes of Vidic and Kompany don't and never will be up there on the top goalscorer list, having a regen with extreme attributes that is that efficient points toward a corner exploit of some sort. The fact that the default set pieces routine can and often do pull this off suggests that it is indeed an exploit of the match engine, and this is because it is designed to do the same thing on the rear post that the exploit tactic does on the first; regularly, you can see that the defender attacking the far post is alone with only one opposition player, so if he's good enough he will always win the challenge and the aim will be good. The default corner routine thus draws attention away from the far post allowing the big guy back there to do his thing almost unhindered. While we can fix this problem, the AI can not (and the default defending corner routine is very weak at it).

So, basically, if your giant centre-back scores 10+ goals per season, this is caused by one of two things:

A. You score so many goals per season that defenders hitting double digits must be considered normal

B. You're exploiting the ME

0 goals

i manually have my 2 centerbacks set to "go forward" for corners instead of attacking the posts

that's the best way of avoiding the corner bug

Correct, corners to either far or near post will net an unrealistic amount of goals even if the delivery is set to mixed, even with default settings your CB's can easily score 8-10 goals per season which is hardly realistic.

Correct, corners to either far or near post will net an unrealistic amount of goals even if the delivery is set to mixed, even with default settings your CB's can easily score 8-10 goals per season which is hardly realistic.

if you put any player at the posts they're guaranteed to score at least 3 goals that season. i tried putting tony hibbert there from everton in FM11 and even he scored lol

Archived