How often should players be spoken to?

I speak to them when they get over a 9.0 match rating and tell them they performed well in the last match . With strikers though they normally then have a rubbish next match so i am tempted to stop .

If the staff recommend i drop a player through bad performances at a staff meeting i normally ignore it and instead speak to them telling them they need to play better which usually gets a reply I dont want to be on the bench i will imporve and sometimes they do.

I often speak to my players if he has had a good game (eg scored a hatrick or had a blinder in defense) OR if you have had a player who hasn`t scored in a few games like 5 or 6, i tell him he has to start playing better or he will be dropped.

This motivates the player to perform better in my opinion and i regularly use this for players with a 6-6.5 average over the last 5 games with 99% of the time the player reacts positively.

I NEVER drop a player that my staff recommends as most of the time it is useless.

When a player comes and says he is unhappy with training i ALWAYS tell him 'he has to step up if he wants first team football' and 99% of the time he comes back with a positive response.

The latter part will depend on what type of manager you are and if the players like you. In my save i don`t have this problem as i have been at west ham for over 4 years and the players love me no matter what i say to them.

Every game.

If a player's performance rating in a match is under 6.6, I'll chat with him and use one of the negative chat opens about his match performance. I then do the opposite if they get a rating of 7.5 or above, I'll praise them. If I did any in the previous match and need to again, I'll talk about their form.

I find this does two things, providing they respond well, it'll improve their morale, keeping my morale up in the squad (my morale is almost always high) and it helps build relationships with the players. After a season of this, you'll often find the players all have you in their favoured personnel, with the odd exception.

If you have a low reputation, players will generally be harder to get a positive response out of, but you'll eventually win them over.

In FM11 I used to tell them they had a bad game or good game depending on their last match rating. In FM12 however they changed this a little in that you can now tell them their passing or defending was poor or whatever. I've had bad results choosing between these choices... For example if I say their defending was bad they'll say the whole team was bad and I shouldn't single them out. To avoid this I just right-click their name and choose discipline->poor performance->issue a warning. If their rating was under around 6.5 they'll usually accept the warning and sometimes they'll increase their concentration, determination and/or work rate.

I think the only other time I talk to them is when the monthly training reports come in. Whoever has been doing badly in training I'll tell them they need to buck their ideas up if they want to fight for first-team football. This usually gets a motivation increase out of them.

Archived