How big should a save game file be?

Hi guys,

I noticed that some of my save files are really big, sometimes about 900mb even after only 6 or 7 seasons. I think this is causing my game to run really slowly which is obviously a problem.

How big should a save be, and is there anything I can do to 'cut it down' so to speak?

Cheers.

Have you added any leagues after starting the save? There is a bug where using Add/Remove Leagues can cause excessive amounts of regens to be added. A 900mb save file with just 7 leagues after 6 years sounds very excessive.

SI changed something for FM12 so that uncompressed save files are far larger than on past version. Their compression is much better though, so compressed saves are much smaller than comparable saves from past versions.

I would highly suggest using the compress save option on this version for all saves.

The fact that you've added leagues at all means there's a very good chance that you've been hit by the bug. Taking the leagues away will make no difference. Your save is permanently affected.

In future, load the leagues you want from the start (like the old FM way). It's only the Add/Remove feature being used that causes this to happen.

As an aside, I believe SI should put a sticky up on the forum about this issue, because there have been several cases of people having this same problem. The above workaround should also be included.

Right, cheers for the feedback guys!

So what exactly does this 'bug' do other than increase game size? Is it causing an extra large database and too many players or something?

Also unsure which is the best to do now- compress save game or not?

Archived