Most disapointing player so far?

cms186

RvP by five country miles. Right now at this miserable moment I'm tempted to go overboard with 'overrated' and such, which would be silly, but whatever they do with him at Arsenal, he just does not produce the goods for the national team. The next national coach would be well advised to leave him on the bench and try to play with effective forwards.

The English defence - being set up to be hard to beat with some good quality players and shipping 3 goals in 2 games is disappointing.

I know Shay Given has been injured but he's been majorly at fault for Ireland doing so badly, RvP looks completely shattered and in need of a rest, he also looks like he doesn't quite understand the dutch tactics and looks lost, either way he's been poor in front of goal.

The English defence - being set up to be hard to beat with some good quality players and shipping 3 goals in 2 games is disappointing.

I don't think so really. Aside from the 20 minutes against Sweden it's been alright, not the worst defence in the tournament by any means. Defended very well against France despite conceding. A clean sheet against the Ukrainians would be nice though.

I'm a bit disappointed with Spain to be honest, but can't put my finger on why. They're pretty much playing the same way as in 2008 and 2010. Maybe they're just boring now.

Anyone saying Kerzhakov doesn't know football. It was his movement that helped the Russian attacking midfielders score so much.

Fair enough but his finishing was awful, should have bagged at least 4 in the first game.

Pavyluchenko would have been like a man down but still scored

True but everyone knows the Dutch guys were horrible. I just wanted to point out that Eriksson has been pretty bad too :p

People were expecting him to have a good tournament and to raise his market price. He probably lowered it.

Lukasz Piszczek, from Poland's perspective.

RvP is the last to blame for Dutch disaster, they were shockingly primitive in terms of tactics, no midfield really, no fullback, no tactical flexibility (yes, this statements begs to be answered with 'and so was Arsenal in all the games van Persie won for them', but I disagree :) ). More or less like Poland.

It's easy to lambast the Dutch "superstars" now, but if you take them one by one it's difficult to separate their specific responsibility from the general lack of direction and drive the whole team had. So in a way they failed as a unit, but as individuals almost all of them can be "excused" at a certain degree.

On the other hand Eriksen has been awful and there's noone else to blame... He was supposed to be Denmark's biggest asset, intead he looked ordinary at best, even a liability.

Frankly I wasn't impressed with him at last year's Euro U21 and this tournament didn't make me change my mind. Can't really comment on his performances with Ajax (although the Dutch league is famous for producing a lot of "false positives"), but so far to me he's been vastly overrated.

I'd add Lewandowski to the mix

And I'd totally disagree. I am not a fan of him personally, but he is possibly our best player. He works s well as a supporting striker or as a lone striker with attacking midfielders to help him. The problem was that Smuda's idea for our game was to pass/hoof it to him so maybe 'he will do something'. He did all he could, without support most of the time, he often managed to control a high long ball, go past defender, but nobody was there to help him.

That's why I said Piszczek. The best moments we had in this tournament were when Piszczek, rated by the media as one of the best RBs in Europe, was playing like a modern right back. That gave us more options, put opposition under pressure and gave Lewandowski the space.

You can't blame the lonely striker for being in a very average badly managed team, really.

I'm a bit disappointed with Spain to be honest, but can't put my finger on why. They're pretty much playing the same way as in 2008 and 2010. Maybe they're just boring now.

Spain didn't play the same way in 2008 and 2010, though?

It's easy to lambast the Dutch "superstars" now, but if you take them one by one it's difficult to separate their specific responsibility from the general lack of direction and drive the whole team had. So in a way they failed as a unit, but as individuals almost all of them can be "excused" at a certain degree.

Agree, with the notable exception of van Persie and 'he plays for Barça you know' Affelay. Both of them should be fringe bench sitters. And van Bommel, if one would be inclined to count him into the group of 'stars'. He's simply old and over it.

iXdEn23CAJ8yo.gif

The amount of chances he had this tournament, he could have put Holland through just from the first two games.

1.5 goals wouldn't have been enough I think, but I am not familiar with all the final match maths.

Boring now? Do you remember their matches in 2010?

Archived