The curious case of the disappearing save game

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or has already been answered (I did brief search on here and Google).

Today I loaded up the game, instinctively clicked on "load last game" and realised I couldn't. Went to manually load my save game and it wasn't there. Checked all the regular folders etc, but no save game. When finishing up last night I went through my usual routine of saving, then quitting FM, then quitting Steam, before finally shutting down the computer. Have been doing this since Steam came in and have never had any issues.

I did a scan of my hard drive and couldn't find any trace of the save game, and also a scan for recently deleted items using Recuva. It's not in my recycle bin either, so it appears to have just vanished overnight. A couple of things make this even odder:

1) All my other save files remain intact. It's just one that has disappeared.

2) The tactics and training schedules I created in that specific save are still in existence.

Obviously my own fault for not using rolling saves, but has anyone ever experienced the above before? Any ideas when I can locate this save game? From my experience files don't just magically disappear but this one has me a bit stumped.

Your save games are stored in the SI folder in Documents unless you have changed this location. They cannot be deleted without user input. Any power issue while saving can corrupt the save game but it will still be there but be unavailable to load. I can give you no reason why or how it could have disappeared.

Your save games are stored in the SI folder in Documents unless you have changed this location. They cannot be deleted without user input. Any power issue while saving can corrupt the save game but it will still be there but be unavailable to load. I can give you no reason why or how it could have disappeared.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Just posted it in GD in the hope someone else may have experienced the same thing.

If your save game has gone AWOL then recovery with the current versions of windows is easy.

You can right click on any folder, go to properties, then the far left tab "Previous Versions" and find lost saved games (or any other file) that way after accidental deletion.

Be aware it does affect all other things in that folder! So don't go back too far!

Have just tried this and managed to recover a save game from three days ago. Unfortunately it would mean replaying nearly a full season so will likely just start a new game as I dislike replaying anything other than a few games.

Still doesn't explain why the save just disappeared though!

Archived