which do you prefer  

118 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer

• bbc
    • itv

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've been pleasantly surprised by itv's coverage tbf. apart from their commentary teams they've been better than bbc so far imo. but then again, bbc's commentary teams have been atrocious too. cant stand jonathan peirce and lawro does my head in at times aswell.

Both are completely useless. Never seen two collections of "pundits" with such minute knowledge of European football. Guess that's why they just talk about England the whole time. Gotta go with ITV purely because the BBC commentators talk the most bollocks about non-English players, which is particularly annoying. Personally prefer to watch on foreign TV.

BBC's coverage is suffering for lack of atmosphere. I understand the financial reasons behind not having the main studio at location, but it really does detract from the usual festival feel of the coverage.

They should have left Shearer at the pitch side with Jake too. He was fantastic at that role, whereas he's just a clueless chimp acting as a proper pundit.

I think ITV are shading it this year, even with Chiles as the main anchor (has ITV ever had a good anchor?)

The BBC pundits have been doing my head in more than usual, it's like they're proud of their ignorance or something. Anytime they do get someone with half a brain to join them in the studio they struggle to get any analysis in before being drowned out by the din emanating from the other prats on the sofa "mumble mumble never seen Zlatan play well blah blah lol this Sweden Ukraine game is boring as **** isn't it? blah blah grumble grumble" and then Harry "'arry" Redknapp responding to everything by alternating "He's a top, top player" and "We've got the best back five in the world" regardless of the actual question asked of him.

On the other hand, despite ad breaks and Adrian Chiles thinking "Emiliano from Milano" is the funniest thing since My Cousin Vinny ITV have given us Roberto Martinez who was a welcome breath of fresh air for the Italy-Spain game and Vieira has been pretty good too. Keane and Southgate are miles ahead of Hansen and Shearer too. So far it hasn't really been close. Townsend is still a bellend though.

Am I the only one that thought Jamie Carragher was quite good? Don't get the fuss over his accent and he's otherwise pretty decent.

I think it's mostly the fact that he plays for Liverpool and has a ridiculous accent but I don't remember him saying anything too outrageous. Better than most of the shower that the BBC have rolled out so far this tournament.

Am I the only one that thought Jamie Carragher was quite good? Don't get the fuss over his accent and he's otherwise pretty decent.

Yeah, Carragher was fine yesterday. Haven't listened to him before then, but if he's like that all the time I won't mind him on at all.

BBC >>> ITV for me, but both have some really awful pundits.

I dont know why but I actually like Childs :D but he gets so much hate to which I cant understand

BBC is going downhill these days. Guy Mowbray and Jonathan Pearce, jeez surley there is better out there?

The BBC pundits have been doing my head in more than usual, it's like they're proud of their ignorance or something. Anytime they do get someone with half a brain to join them in the studio they struggle to get any analysis in before being drowned out by the din emanating from the other prats on the sofa "mumble mumble never seen Zlatan play well blah blah lol this Sweden Ukraine game is boring as **** isn't it? blah blah grumble grumble" and then Harry "'arry" Redknapp responding to everything by alternating "He's a top, top player" and "We've got the best back five in the world" regardless of the actual question asked of him.

On the other hand, despite ad breaks and Adrian Chiles thinking "Emiliano from Milano" is the funniest thing since My Cousin Vinny ITV have given us Roberto Martinez who was a welcome breath of fresh air for the Italy-Spain game and Vieira has been pretty good too. Keane and Southgate are miles ahead of Hansen and Shearer too. So far it hasn't really been close. Townsend is still a bellend though.

Agree with everything apart from Vieira having been good, I think he's been tosh :D Couldn't remember Evra's name, hasn't offered a lot when I've watched and seems to be there purely because he's French. That said, he's still miles ahead of Redknapp and co so I can't moan too much.

BBC's studio not being at the actual tournament is a massive negative point, ITV have put in way more effort for this tournament and have better commentators. So ITV have much better coverage so far, amazingly.

Vieira just took everything Carragher said and agreed with it.

Vieira said the French defence isn't that good and doesn't know why England should be afraid to play them... Carragher repeated it then at half time said he was right.

BBC's studio not being at the actual tournament is a massive negative point, ITV have put in way more effort for this tournament and have better commentators. So ITV have much better coverage so far, amazingly.

Makes you wonder if BBC wanted to protect Lineker, Hanson etc incase it all kicks off in Poland & Ukraine so send the 'B' team of Jake, Shearer etc instead. Im sure Lineker said on twitter he was going over there for the QF till the end.

Agree with everything apart from Vieira having been good, I think he's been tosh :D Couldn't remember Evra's name, hasn't offered a lot when I've watched and seems to be there purely because he's French. That said, he's still miles ahead of Redknapp and co so I can't moan too much.

Vieira's inability to remember anything has been pretty funny but in between the comedy amnesia he's tried to say something worth listening to. Bit like Carragher, if you can get subtitles or a Scouse translator then at least he tries to offer something resembling an opinion. Contrast that with the BBC lot who just sit around making crap jokes and occasionally rolling out the most trite, anodyne and outdated cliches they can think of before smirking and going back to having a laugh with the lads. The twats.

The BBC basically terrified of pulling out the stops for it for fear of being ripped to shreds by the Murdoch Puppet that we have for a Prime Minister. It's incredibly depressing seeing what the BBC is becoming as a result of this corrupt government.

I've voted for the BBC, because I think they've still edged it slightly in terms of the in game coverage. Definitely think ITV have it right with the pundits though.

Could easily see myself swinging to ITV by the end of the tournament, mainly for the reasons Boban has outlined.

BBC are abysmal - every one of their regulars just describe what you've just seen and mask it as analysis ("thats a great goal from 'x' - defender backs off, and he just places it superbly"). ITV at least seem to have attempted some sort of tactical analysis - Strachan on the highlights show last night showed how narrow England were and how well it worked in defence and how well they sat off and kept their shape. As basic as it was, you never ever get that on BBC.

Plus ITV have the ticking time bomb that is Roy Keane - just waiting for Chiles to say something stupid and Royston to leap over and slap his head off :cool:

• Administrators

Pundits I don't really care about, I can leave the room for them. On that basis can't stand ITV because of fecking Tyldesley. Awful awful awful.

Saying that, has Bright been on the BBC yet? Awful x100.

BBC pundits + Lineker just seem to be there to enjoy themselves without doing any real work, they are like a group of men watching the game with a few beers. I don't need to see that on TV, I can do that at home. ITV pundits seem to offer a little more insight (Carragher was good) but Chiles ruins it with his unfunny quips and patronising comments.

As for commentary, I can't stand Tyldesley and Jim Beglin is surely the most useless and annoying analyst ever, so the BBC edges it. For years Beglin has been coming out with things like "No, that's not offside for me." and will refuse to change his opinion even after the camera proves otherwise. He will keep bleating on about it like it's a personal injustice against him.

Overall I'd still prefer Sky to get hosting rights for the whole thing.

Overall I'd still prefer Sky to get hosting rights for the whole thing.

I think anyone with the slightest bit of sense regarding football would say the same, but then a lot of people wouldnt be able to watch the games unless they did so either on the Internet or at the pub. It just makes sense for the people who dont have Sky and that way everyone can watch it.

Archived