What Should Messi Play As?

hi guys, I have started new save doing Barca and I am wondering what to play Messi as to get the best out of him, I am currently playing him as trequista (<<<or whatever the word is :D). Is that best or not?

I'd say it's more important to get the other attacking players in the right roles to fully compliment Messi, no good having him in his perfect position/role if the rest of the team just get in his way.

That's how I approach things although I do have to compromise formation & roles until I get the players I want which can take some time in the lower leagues, when dealing with a player like Messi I can understand why someone might want to create a tactic to best suit that one player.

I know how to do it, I just want to know how Messi should play ;)

You don't pick Messi then the role for him, you set up your tactics, your formation, your roles then decide which role is the best place to put Messi.

Formations/Roles before players.

You don't pick Messi then the role for him, you set up your tactics, your formation, your roles then decide which role is the best place to put Messi.

I'd say that Messi is one of the few players good enough that you can build a team/tactic around him.

Personally I'd play him upfront as a Trequartista but it's essential that the rest of your team complement him in this role and that the rest of your tactic is set up to accomodate a TQ. The Barca thread in GPTG is a good place for more help. I posted my formation/tactic in there a couple months back.

He got 52 goals for me in a season by me playing a 4-2-2-2. I played with 2 Advanced Playmakers (Iniesta/Fabregas) behind Mess and Villa. Messi was a Trequartista. My tactic took me a while to perfect but its control short passing and pressing was amazing. 20 + shots at goal a game, I'm happy to share it with you if youd like to use it?

Personally I think most people would pick Messi's role and then build the team and tactics around him. He is just that good.

cough* Sneijder at Inter.

Ranieri said he didnt fit into the system (a bland, flat, defensive 4-4-2, where he stuck Sneijder at LM). Yeah, pretty sure YOU didn't fit the system, Claudio!

I think quite a few players, at least the very best ones, should get stroppy if they're not played in their preferred (not necessarily best) position.

I think quite a few players, at least the very best ones, should get stroppy if they're not played in their preferred (not necessarily best) position.

Frazer Richardson moaned at me for playing him in goal after I had my keeper sent off, if that counts? :p

Archived