The Opening Match - Poland VS Greece (08/06/2012 17.00) BBC1

Baptista_8

Starts at 16.15.

One of the hosts VS the winners of Euro 2004.

Taken from UEFA.com:

Poland have history on their side as they seek to begin UEFA EURO 2012 on a victorious note having won ten of their previous 15 meetings with Greece – although the 2004 champions will recall their glorious summer eight years ago began against a host country.

Team news etc to follow...

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presume there is no backstory to make this a "grudge match" of any sort?

Only thing I can find in the archives is Poland beating Greece to a place at Mexico 86 when they were in the same qualifying group.

We are almost certain to start like this:

GK: Wojciech Szczęsny

RB: Łukasz Piszczek

LB: Sebastian Boenisch

DC: Marcin Wasilewski

DC: Damien Perquis

DMC Eugen Polan(ń?)ski

DMC Rafał Murawski

AMC Ludovic Obraniak

AML Maciej Rybus

AMR Jakub Błaszczykowski

SC: Robert Lewandowski

I got a sweet 8pm and 10:45pm match times here, very nice :thup:

Going 2-0 Poland in this, not a great match though

Dubai is an hour and a half behind India, I think. So that makes it 9:30 and 12:15 for me. Thanks! :D

We are almost certain to start like this:

GK: Wojciech Szczęsny

RB: Łukasz Piszczek

LB: Sebastian Boenisch

DC: Marcin Wasilewski

DC: Damien Perquis

DMC Eugen Polan(ń?)ski

DMC Rafał Murawski

AMC Ludovic Obraniak

AML Maciej Rybus

AMR Jakub Błaszczykowski

SC: Robert Lewandowski

What's Rybus like? Heard a lot about him but only seen him a few times, likely to do well or?

Yeah, you guys and your silly half hour ;) Bit of a late finish for you but for me I can still be in bed by 1am which tbh I am rarely asleep by then anyway so it's cool :thup:

Yeah, it'll be late but not any later than weekday PL matches, so shouldn't be too bad. Much rather watch footie at night than at any other time.

Presume there is no backstory to make this a "grudge match" of any sort?

Only thing I can find in the archives is Poland beating Greece to a place at Mexico 86 when they were in the same qualifying group.

i can only see friendlies that suggest poland are historically 'better'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeks_in_Poland

apparently 50,000 ethnic poles reside in greece, although i somewhat suspect this may have reduced recently

Hoping for a goal fest in both games today to help my most goals in group A bet.

As good a place to ask as any, anyway - is there any legal way to watch online? Will be at work for the first half of this game and unfortunately all BBC content isn't accessible because our internet is for some reason deemed to be in Switzerland or something.

EDIT: Sorry ham :D

Line-ups

Poland

First Eleven: Szczesny, Piszczek, Wasilewski, Perquis, Boenisch, Murawski, Polanski, Blaszczykowski, Obraniak, Rybus, Lewandowski.

Subs: Sandomierski, Wojtkowiak, Kaminski, Dudka, Matuszczyk, Wawrzyniak, Sobiech, Mierzejewski, Wolski, Grosicki, Brozek, Tyton.

Greece

First Eleven: Chalkias, Torosidis, Papastathopoulos, Avraam Papadopoulos, Holebas, Maniatis, Katsouranis, Karagounis, Ninis, Gekas, Samaras.

Subs: Tzorvas, Tzavelas, Malezas, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Makos, Liberopoulos, Mitroglou, Salpingidis, Fotakis, Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, Sifakis.

Referee

Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Typical BBC, spent 25 minutes on England / Ireland / who's going to win, and 2 minutes on Poland and Greece with only one player mentioned by name.

Because most people watching don't care and are just watching because they're craving football and it stops the missus from watching Come Dine With Me.

Typical BBC, spent 25 minutes on England / Ireland / who's going to win, and 2 minutes on Poland and Greece with only one player mentioned by name.

Indeed :thdn:

This really is a pretty naff opening ceremony.

Because most people watching don't care and are just watching because they're craving football and it stops the missus from watching Come Dine With Me.

This, luckily you can watch BBC and ITV HD without the Sky card inserted, so I have sent the kids packing to my bedroom with the card so they can watch Phineas and Ferb on the spare box in there :D Parenting at it's best ;)

Yeah i hope we're not going to get people complaining in every match thread about this again, its nothing new and we're not the only country that does it i bet.

Archived