International Management - How did you get the call?

Hello all,

With Euro 2008 well underway now, I thought I would create a thread about international management on FM. This is a thread for sharing stories about international management and, particularly, for those who have worked their way up in club level and managed to get the call from an international team (like a real life career).

I am currently working my way up the divisions and ultimately I see international management as the pinnacle of the game. To get offered a job as the manager of your country is the biggest honour in football. I also have ambitions to manage a smaller nation, in order to 'gain experience', before taking on a bigger international job.

In FM07, I took my mighty St. Albans City side up the divisions and was offered the England job at one point. I made the semi-finals of the World Cup and qualified for the European Championships with the Three Lions. Regrettably, the latter was an unmitigated disaster and we went home after the group stage. I resigned before I was sacked.

I was then offered the Turkey job, which I took. I had a decent World Cup with them taking them to a quarter final, before failing to qualify for the next European Championships. icon_redface.gif As you can see, I had a mixed international career. It is one of my ambitions to win a major international trophy on FM.

In FM08, I am still working my way to the top in my current career game. International management is the icing on the cake and I would love to win a World Cup or whatever.

So, tell me about your experiences and your ambitions and hopes for the future.

Are you still building up your reputation (like me) for your first big international job?

Have you already received the call-up and when did it happen?

What success have you had on the biggest stage of all?

C.

i was dorchester mananger for 4 yrs and got them to the championship, i was then offered a job at everton in the champ, got them promoted, and ended up at tottenham was offered the nigeria job and took it, it adds another domension to the game and takes your mind off those league games, its all down to your manager reputation mine is at world class at the moment, but when i got it, it was national, hope this helps.

Originally posted by postman123:

i was dorchester mananger for 4 yrs and got them to the championship, i was then offered a job at everton in the champ, got them promoted, and ended up at tottenham was offered the nigeria job and took it, it adds anoth er domension to the game and takes your mind off those league games, its all down to your manager reputation mine is at world class at the moment, but when i got it, it was national, hope this helps.

What an outstanding career you've had postman123 ! icon14.gif

C.

I've managed Spain, Portugual, Brazil, Argentina and of course England. It's been a mixed bag. I've won stuff with Argentina and Brazil. I came 3rd in EURO 2008 with Spain and was deemed a failure. I failed to qualify with Portugual (mainly due to the lack of strikers). I have won the world cup with England but that isn't normally with the normal team- my back line was completly different from Cole-Terry-Ferdiand-Neville, for instance.

To be honest International management doesn't much appeal to me. I'm in 2025 in my Chelsea save and have turned down offers from Czech Republic (x3), England (x2), Germany, Holland and Nigeria. I'm thinking once I leave Chelsea maybe I'll try International management but I'm happy with my club job at the mo..

Yeah, I'm now manager of England and Derby. I was first offered the job immediatly after the 2010 world cup, didn't really want it at the time. What an idiot I was. They won the World Cup twice and had the best national sides I've seen in this game. Now in 2020 I decided to take the job. All of the best players are on their way out... But an amazing defensive unit has begun to form (and I've signed them all!). I've also nicked my young Welsh winger McShane for England, and 19 year old Hudson... Up front there is still Baxter and a great regen, Ramsay. The only place really lacking is the midfield, I had one lined up, but the Scots nicked him first!

You need a high reputation and then after a major tournament when everyone is getting sacked/retiring national sides will offer you the job.

Originally posted by Somerandomguy:

To be honest International management doesn't much appeal to me. I'm in 2025 in my Chelsea save and have turned down offers from Czech Republic (x3), England (x2), Germany, Holland and Nigeria. I'm thinking once I leave Chelsea maybe I'll try International management but I'm happy with my club job at the mo..

You might already know this, but I am guessing from the way you've said you aren't interested that you don't - you can manage a club and an international side at the same time.

So you could make the step up to international management without giving up your Chelsea job.

C.

c.

Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Somerandomguy:

You might already know this, but I am guessing from the way you've said you aren't interested that you don't - you can manage a club and an international side at the same time.

So you could make the step up to international management without giving up your Chelsea job.

C.

c. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I can do both but I think its more realistic if you only do one at a time like in real life. You rarely see managers in real life manage club and national teams cause they want to focus their attention on one.

Haven't done it yet in 08, but in 07, I was offered the England job before the Euro (I think it was 2016 or something).

I qualified no problem, but the group stages were a nightmare - 2 draws and a ******** loss despite dominating every match. Out at the group stages. icon_mad.gif

So I resigned immediately after before I got sacked. Never was offered another international job after that.

Started out as England manager in one of my games, so didn't really work it up. I won Euro 2008 (including a quarter final win on penalties over portugal) and got bumped out by Holland in the quarters of the 2010 world cup. Went out in the group stage of 2012 Euro in a group with France and Sweden going through. 2016 World Cup lost in the round of 16 on penalties to France. then I stopped playing lol.

I took the U.S.A. job just after my fourth season with Rangers. Was getting itchy feet and needed a bit of a different challenge without leaving the Gers 'cause I want to really dominate in Europe before I move on. Two weeks later, the brazil job comes up, and my name is being bandied about for the hot seat!! I never applied because I kinda felt like I should give the United States job a fair crack. But the Euros have me desperate for a European National job now!

In one of my Billericay saves (this one being on FM06) I managed a few countries - New Zealand, Algeria and Japan. I had a perfect record qualifying for tournaments but didn't manage to do very well in them with the exception of reaching the African Nations Cup final.

The undoubted highlight though was a 2-2 with Argentina in the World Cup with New Zealand. The team went home with one point though after losing to Romania and Sweden.

I have managed to get offered the England job a few times really. As rather bizarrely Capello always seems to retire a year before his contract comes up. I find it interesting but I also get fed up with having to watch a game every week! I know its a good idea and a good addition in theory but frankly in practice it becomes annoying especially when you are playing as two people as I always do. I start the game as two different players, one starting low down and one starting with a big club. I always quit my club job though when I take the national job, its just not realistic to be managing a club and England!

Currently in 2016 and im Brazil Manager.

Started at Morton, where after 3 seasons and getting them to the SPL in one season i took the Ghana job as well as my Morton job. I resigned from both the jobs after 4 seasons and took the Atheltico Madrid job (they were in the 2nd div), moved onto Everton, won the league etc then resigned after 2 seasons for a new challenge, i was then offered the Brazil job which i took. I was mainly offered the job becuase my 2nd nationaly is Brazilian and im worldclass icon_smile.gif

i'm currently England and Arsenal manager. the draw for the confederations cup has just been made, my first tournament. i previously had the Czech Republic job, but since there were no regens and the main squad was old and largely average, i quit after 1 tournament. the Czech FA asked me to reconsider, which i did, but the few new players to choose from a year later were still average quality.

going back many versions, i was italy manager in cm 00-01 for 10 years, winning the confed cup nearly every time. my best moment was taking China to the world cup semi-finals, knocking out portugal and france in the process. i've also had italy, argentina, russia, mexico & england in previous versions of fm. not won anything internationally, though.

i hope SI put even more emphasis into international management in the future, fm08 was a big improvement.

I've managed Greece, England and I've just accepted the Brazil job on a save. With Greece I just about scraped getting through to the Euro's but resigned because it was annoying me. (This led to the Greek F.A pleading with me to come back haha). Unfortunately by the time I get to the England (or now Brazil) job I get bored and start a new save. Oh and nearly forgot, I got Nigeria to the African cup of nations final but lost on penalties to Egypt I think it was.. icon_mad.gif

Started out a football manager 2008 game with Greece. The team qualified for Euro 2008 easily, but I was scared with a 3-1 loss against Italy in the first match. But a 4-0 win against Turkey and 0-0 draw with Serbia let me qualify to quarter final. My Greece beat Croatia 3-1 to reach semi final, and a lucky 2-0 win against Spain to reach Euro 2008 Final. But a 2-1 loss for my Greece against France means Greece is the Euro 2008 runner-up!

I'm in 2015 and since 2013 I'm World Class, despite only managing a Swedish team. Still, since then I've applied already 15 times to become a coach of a national team. In the beginning I only applied for topteams, but in the end I even applied for teams like Ukraïne and India, but alas. No luck here, they never pick me...

I started a game unemployed with the aim of one day managing at the very top and that would include an International job. Dorchester took me on and now in 2012 we are on course for the play-offs in League 1, I have applied for many international positions but been refused but with the Euros coming up I feel this could be my big chance !!

Archived