When Fergie Retires...

As a Utd fan I obviously have concerns for the future of the club once Fergie retires. 'Who's going to replace him?' is an ongoing debate in the locals, Mourinho? Guardiola? Moyes? or is it more likely to come from within Ole? (kind of from within) or even Giggs or Neville?

Two seasons pass in my current save and Fergie retires, I get offered the job but turn it down to continue building my Newcastle side into a top European force. Who takes over instead? None other than the one... the only... ... ...Mick McCarthy!

Oh right, okay then, interesting appointment! Think there would be a few upset reds should that happen IRL.

Anyway, so the question I pose to you all is who takes over from Sir Alex in your saves?

Villas-Boas in my previous save. He didn't do very well. Now in my current save it's me! :D

Yeah, I would also like to take over Utd in my current save one day. Though part of me wants them to drop down the table just so I could re-build and turn them back into a powerhouse.

Currently Mick is in his second season. He finished 4th last year behind City, Newcastle (me) and Chelsea. We're currently in April and five teams (inc. Utd) are in contention. So, he's not done too badly thus far!

Mike Phelan took over on mine in 2012, and then managed them until he retired in 2025. Hugo Lloris, Man Utd goalkeeping coach took charge after that, but only lasted a few months. After that, Paul McGuiness took over as caretaker, before being hired, he lasted 5 years, coming runner up in europ cup and FA cup in that time.

After that, Derek McInnes took over in 2030, he had a more successfull spell, with a league cup win and runners up in champions league and several other things. He resigned in 2035, then it goes into regen-manager territory.

All in all, they havent won that much since fergie left, CL winners in 2025, EPL winners 3 times under Phelan, and then again in 2042 and 2045. Few cups, lots of coming runners up trophy-wise and EPL-wise.

Although come to think, the league non-winning period was when I was winning it with Truro, so that's why they didnt get it.

Interesting, there's a lot of names coming up here.

Checked on my save (managing in Iceland and not got English leagues loaded) but Manuel Pellegrini got the job in 2014 when Ferguson retired. They did beat Man City in the CL final in his first season there, and needless to say he's already in favoured personnel after only a season and a few months. :D

Carlo Ancelotti in my current safe, which has never crossed my mind. I think it would be an excellent appointment in real life, hes an outstanding manager, with the only blemish being a former Chelsea manager.

Also had Harry Redknapp as manager in a previous save.

In my current save (2044) Fergie was replaced by Villas-Boas who, in 16 years, guided them to 13 Premier Division titles, 5 League Cups, 6 European Champions Cup, 5 Euro Super Cup, 3 Club World Championships and 4 F.A Cups until he retired. He ended up with about 1300+ manager points in Hall of Fame, pushing Fergie into 2nd place.

In my game, in the 2015/16 season. I started in February 2012 and went on holiday until the end of the 2011/12 season

Arsenal

I replaced Arsene Wenger on 14 May 2012

Wenger became French NT manager on 20 October 2013. Won the playoff qualifier a month later and went on to win the 2014 World Cup

Manchester United

Alex Ferguson retired on 27 May 2014

Gregorio Manzano managed the team from 2 June 2014 and was sacked on 25 May 2015

Jurgen Klopp was hired on 1 June 2015

Chelsea

Andre Villas-Boas left for FC Bayern on 21 February 2014

Roberto Mancini took over on 28 February 2014

Manchester City

Roberto Mancini left for Chelsea on 28 February 2014

Sinisa Mihajlovic was hired on 6 March 2014

Tottenham

Harry Redknapp retired on 27 May 2014

David Moyes was hired on 2 June 2014

Liverpool

Kenny Dalglish retired on 26 May 2015

Michael Laudrup was hired 2 June 2015

In the 2026-27 season, only Belgium loaded.

Arsenal

Arsene Wenger retired in 2014 and was replaced by Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Mihajlovic left in 2017 and was replaced by Alan Pardew who is still there.

Manchester United

Alex Ferguson retired in 2014, after winning the Champions League.

Manuel Pellegrini took over, won the 2014 World Club Championship, and retired in 2017.

Mihajlovic replaced him and is still there.

Chelsea

Andre Villas-Boas left in 2014 to take the England job, but failed to make the 2016 Euro's and has since managed Valencia, Juventus, Liverpool and Portugal.

David Moyes replaced him and is still there.

Manchester City

Roberto Mancini left in 2017 to take the Inter job, and followed that with two years each at Italy and England, before taking the Barcelona job after Ancelotti retired.

Michael Laudrup replaced Mancini, and lasted three years before leaving to join Liverpool.

Didier Deschamps replaced Laudrup, and lasted four years before leaving to join Porto.

Josep Guardiola replaced Deschamps to end his 8 year stint managing AC Milan, and is still at City.

Tottenham

Harry Redknapp retired at the end of the 2012 season, and Spurs are yet to replace him. What?!?!

Liverpool

Dalglish retired at the end of the 2016 season, and was replaced by Marco Bielsa.

Bielsa retired at the end of the 2019 season, and was replaced by Andre Villas-Boas.

Andre Villas-Boas resigned in 2020 to take the Portugal job, and was replaced by Michael Laudrup who is still there.

If anyone is wondering why Mourinho hasn't cropped up in any of these jobs, he's STILL at Real Madrid.

It's Carlo Ancelotti on mine who has gone on to sell all the wingers - Ashley Young, Nani and Valencia.

Thats strange, as Ancelotti is there on mine and well...Valencia had already been sold before he arrived. But Young is listed and I for Inter just bought nani....must be his formation. No need for wingers.

In 2023 -

Fergie retired at the end of the 2012/13 season. Phelan too over and stayed in the post for 7 years, leaving in 2020 after winning 2 European cups (2014, 2017) and 3 league cups (2014,2015,2020). Following this he went on to have a 2 year spell in charge of england eventually being sacked and replaced by Mancini (who also replaced him at United).

Mancini had an ill-fated spell in change of Man United of just a year despite guiding them to second. Following this Ancelotti took over and finished 4th in his first full season in charge (2022/23)

SAF retires 2013

Mcleish til 2021 (retired)

Mihajlovic til 2023 (sacked)

now Guardiola (currently 2023)

More importantly, Boro managers have been

Mogga sacked 2012 :/

Bryan Robson (wtf?) sacked 2015

Simon Grayson sacked 2018

Steven Cherundolo sacked 2020

now Paul Buckle

Marcelo Bisela took over. So far he's finished 3rd in his first season (13-14) and they've started the next year poorly.

Hopefully this downward slide will continue. They're already well behind me (City) and Arsenal.

Sinisa Mihajlovic got the job on mine, and won a couple of domestic cups before being poached by Barca. Then David Moyes took over and had limited success but was ultimately sacked after 10 years in charge. It's currently Didier Dechamps.

Martin Jol 2013-15

Steve McClaren 2015-24 (!!!)

Laurent Blanc 2024

David Moyes 2024-26

Hristo Stoichkov 2026-29

Shota Arveladze 2029-30

Louis Saha 2030-32

Juan Merino 2032-33

Manuel 2033

Leonid S.lutskiy 2033-36

Alex 2036-37

Radja Nainggolan 2037

Arnaud Cormier 2037-38

Giovanni Federico 2038-40

Rene Adler 2040-

Man Utd won Champions League 3 times (2019, 2020, 2021) - all with McClaren. Funny thing is that they won Premiership also only 3 times: 2020, 2031, 2035 (so apart from McClaren the winning managers were Saha and S.lutskiy). They also won Europa League in 2026 with Moyes.

Edit: LOL it censors S L U T S K I Y :p

Fergie retired in 2013, then stepped in first team coach Paul Clement, it's now 2024/25 and he's still going. Under Clement, United have won:

3 World Club Cups

2 Champions Leagues

3 Premier League titles

5 Carling Cups

3 Community Shields, and

2 FA Cups.

He's regarded as a Manchester United Icon.

In mine it was the irreplacable Avram Can't i mean Grant . He only lasted about 6 months which was the same length of time he was at all the other clubs he became manager for in my game . It always seems to be either him , Sven Goran or the wally with the brolly who are constantly being given new jobs which they rapidly mess up .

Archived