Football Manager has lost its edge......

This is my first post, after playing the game for years and years this is the first time I truly believe that the game has lost its edge and I want to get others thoughts.

It really really frustrates me the limitations of the AI, for example take the Scottish League. If you progress a team in say the champions league and go to improve the team it doesn't feel like it progresses the team or the nations reputation allowing for the signing of the better players......

Its the same at International Level aswell take a country to the next round of the euros or world cup and bang your straight back to square 1..

That leads onto the Youth, you cant build the reputation of the youth system of countries to get better players coming through..

I might not be playing the game to full capacity and your thoughts are appreciated.

It also seems in club games there is really inconsistency with results at times. I was playing with Barcelona and you sign quality players but get humped in the league by really poor teams I don't follow the logic....

Keen to hear others thoughts....I am actually pondering not buying it next year because its just year after year

It really really frustrates me the limitations of the AI, for example take the Scottish League. If you progress a team in say the champions league and go to improve the team it doesn't feel like it progresses the team or the nations reputation allowing for the signing of the better players.....

Northern Irish league ranked 10th best competition in Europe. It is possible, it just takes a lot of time.

You can see how I've done it here: From Young Men to World Beaters

saying lost its edge is comparative and relative

usually is comparing vs a rival product

so...what's the next closest thing u can get aside fr FM? pls dun tell me is that Sims-cum-FIFA-so-called-manager game?

Just got Serie A up to the number one ranked competition in the world. Alright, maybe one team doesn't deserve all the credit, never mind one manager, but still, its a great feeling. There are still players who won't join, if they are with other rival Italian clubs, but other than that I have got the pick of the litter! Reminds me when the tough part of transfer dealings was finding a player willing to join, never mind one who was 'the perfect fit'!

How is it possible to make the SPL or serie a number 1 league in the world. I could never do that in any FM game. Couldnt even with la liga.

I don't think any league deserves to be number 1 just because 1 team has done really well in europe etc. i think it should take 2 or maybe even 3 teams doing well in europe.

How is it possible to make the SPL or serie a number 1 league in the world. I could never do that in any FM game. Couldnt even with la liga.

A very long period of time and effort. Ive had the SPL up to third in this version, but it took 25 odd seasons before it got to that level.

You need constistant performances from all teams in the european comps, and that only comes from them signing better players, which comes from their rep increasing, which comes from them performing better in europe.......

I've been working on SPL lately in 2011, got it to 7th, and got a team ranked as highly as Man Utd in reputation. You can up your rep, it just.. unfortunately tends to take you actually winning things like CL to get there which can make it rely a bit upon luck.

You need constistant performances from all teams in the european comps, and that only comes from them signing better players, which comes from their rep increasing, which comes from them performing better in europe.......

That's the biggest hurdle when trying to raise the reputation of a nation. The other clubs don't make the most of their boost in reputation, so they don't tend to do too well in Europe.

It can get frustrating when you see clubs with continental reputation still making the vast majority of their transfers within the UK :(

It really really frustrates me the limitations of the AI, for example take the Scottish League. If you progress a team in say the champions league and go to improve the team it doesn't feel like it progresses the team or the nations reputation allowing for the signing of the better players......

Dynamic League Reputation can only go so far, especially if the nation is a "One Club Wonder"...

Also, European success of ONE club doesn't mean the whole league can become better/richer. Ajax won Champions Leagues but the Dutch league was never Top 4 material as a whole. Nothing wrong with that.

Its the same at International Level aswell take a country to the next round of the euros or world cup and bang your straight back to square 1..

Well... you can get a Golden Generation but the next one can be average... Success doesn't grant growth. Greece won Euro2004 but they're back to the level they used to be.

That leads onto the Youth, you cant build the reputation of the youth system of countries to get better players coming through..

Talent in real life is "random"... You can invest billions in a football academy but if a specific year has produced quality lawyers, geologists and a couple of handball players, there's not so much you can do besides "importing" talent.

It also seems in club games there is really inconsistency with results at times. I was playing with Barcelona and you sign quality players but get humped in the league by really poor teams I don't follow the logic....

Morale, complacency, random events... that's football.

Although I agree some results are a bit too bizarre

AI definitely needs major boost/overhaul (in my opinion) but for entirely different reasons. After 15 years of accumulated experience game is just not hard nor smart enough any more. I have tried all sorts of artificial handicaps (ultimately I stopped buying players) to make it bit more challenging but this has just degraded gaming experience.

That's the biggest hurdle when trying to raise the reputation of a nation. The other clubs don't make the most of their boost in reputation, so they don't tend to do too well in Europe.

It can get frustrating when you see clubs with continental reputation still making the vast majority of their transfers within the UK :(

Yeah that is def the hardest part of it, but i think the issue seems to be clubs not wanting to speand the big bucks rather than being short sighted when it comes to finding players. I've messed around with my games with FMRTE and if you give these clubs money, they spend it well, without money, they buy rubbish constantly, after a while in my game i decided to give all SPL teams a ton of money each, they now steal players under my nose whereas before they wouldnt have been interested.

Archived