Should minor nations be given some sort of a boost to keep them competitive?

The question is in the title 'Should minor nations be given some sort of a boost to keep them competitive?' Looking back on the Euro qualifications the minor nations were not awful and teams like England struggled to score multiple goals against Montenegro and I think in the world cup quals when we had Kazakhstan yet in the game this teams are easy to put 10 past.

This is a screenshot from my qualifications for World Cup 2018 with an average England squad, using mainly Welbeck and Walcott as my strikers.

d09ad9193634034.jpg

I put in 10 past Andorra away, 8 when Azerbaijan visited. Never conceded.

Do you think lower nations should have a boost to keep the game realistic.

I think it's more to do with the size of your database to be honest. A lot of players from minor nations, particularly African ones, play in Africa, Asia or lower/lesser European leagues, none of which are frequently picked by FM players. This means that they generally have a shallow pool of mostly talentless players - their best players are unavailable.

If you ensure at the start of your save that all international players are loaded, minor nations do much, much better and can great fun to play.

However I do think things should be changed a bit. For a start the game should ensure that minor nations have a bigger pool of reasonably talented players to work with. At the moment they aren't given anything like the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think it's fair to use results involving the Human Controlled nation, because we have a substantial advantage over the AI.

But even disregarding our results against minnows and average nations, it's hard to deny FM tend to adopt a "black or white" approach when it comes down to AI-v-AI matches.

Dark horses like Latvia and Slovenia qualifying for European Championship, Estonia making it to playoffs or Finland and Iceland coming close to making it in other occasions aren't even remotely likely in FM universe.

Once the eventual "Golden Generation" retires, the next generations will be tied to whatever (low) value thier nation has... So if a nation is seen as "crap" it'll always be crap.

I'm not saying in a random save we could have Moldova and San Marino playing the Euro2048 final, but there should be more "tricky" fixtures for top nations anyway.

Archived