Long shots - is there any point to this player instruction?

I know some players like to have a pop at goal, but ONE player having EIGHT long shots in one match (7 of which are off target) when his instruction specifically about long shots is clearly set to "Rarely"? I had this same problem with Joey Gudjonsson who would have 5 or 6 long shots per game. What's the point of certain instructions if they are completely ignored from start to finish?

And what's the point of "Use current match tactics" in Match Options? This is also ignored on a constant basis, whenever I go on holiday for a match, lots of shots from distance despite every single player being told to do so rarely. Assistant Manager clearly ignores everything said by the manager beforehand.

The only way you will ever get any result from this, and actually stop players booting it long, is to set their creative freedom to nothing.

SI don't care that people tell them to fix this in every version. It will never get fixed so you just have to deal with your players ignoring your specific instructions to not shoot from 40 yards.

It's more of a problem with the selection of highlights. The game loves to show us hopeless shots from 30-40 yards going nowhere.

A player who loves to takes long shots doing it 4-5 times a match is not unusual - it is the fact that the game insists on showing all of them that makes it seem worse.

With respect, it's nothing to do with highlights - it's about players taking long shots far more often than the manager wants. It's the same whether you watch highlights, watch the whole game, or check the stats without watching any of the game.

I have always found altering the player instructions to Long Shots = Rarely, actually helps the matter a lot. However it is ridiculous such measures are needed to begin with. Time and time again this complaint is raised, and always seems to be ignored or swept under the carpet. Needs to be very near the top of the priorities list for FM13.

This isn't strictly speaking a bug so I've moved the thread.

As we live in expectation of the next generation ME there's reason to hope this area will improve.

It's worth noting that players will often take a long shot because they see no better option, things like passing length setting can affect this decision making, not entirely real world logic but you can use it to reduce them.

I have my long shots on none for every player, yet they still shoot from stupid ranges. The most frustrating thing on FM

They'll be shooting for 2 reasons then.

1) Creative freedom is to high and he doesn't have the required attributes.

2) He has no better placed options available to him

It's one of the above if hes set to rarely. It's not a bug like people keep claiming, it's because of flaws in peoples systems as they don't understand that is a player has no options then he'll just shoot.

They'll be shooting for 2 reasons then.

1) Creative freedom is to high and he doesn't have the required attributes.

2) He has no better placed options available to him

It's one of the above if hes set to rarely. It's not a bug like people keep claiming, it's because of flaws in peoples systems as they don't understand that is if a player has no options then he'll just shoot.

Then this is clearly a wider problem with the ME, then initially appears then. Because this is not a reflection of real life. If a player is 40 yards out, and there are no options in front of him, he will turn away and pass backwards. He may try and take somebody on. He may just swing a ball in towards the penalty spot hoping for movement from the front men. The notion that a player will just whack it from any distance if the 2 or 3 players in front of him are marked, is ludicrous. And if this is what the ME chooses to do when faced with that situation, a larger overhaul may be nessecary.

Then this is clearly a wider problem with the ME, then initially appears then. Because this is not a reflection of real life. If a player is 40 yards out, and there are no options in front of him, he will turn away and pass backwards. He may try and take somebody on. He may just swing a ball in towards the penalty spot hoping for movement from the front men. The notion that a player will just whack it from any distance if the 2 or 3 players in front of him are marked, is ludicrous. And if this is what the ME chooses to do when faced with that situation, a larger overhaul may be nessecary.

No his attributes will determine if he shoots or not. He might just waste a cross, or just shoot, or just get tackled. But it all falls under the same catergory andis down to the user not having enough options for the player to do anything else.

And read Kriss's post he explained things about a new ME.

No his attributes will determine if he shoots or not. He might just waste a cross, or just shoot, or just get tackled. But it all falls under the same catergory andis down to the user not having enough options for the player to do anything else.

And read Kriss's post he explained things about a new ME.

But that's the point. Players on FM don't 'waste a cross' or 'just get tackled'. They shoot. Every time. If half of the time he puts in a poor cross, there wouldn't be a problem!

But that's the point. Players on FM don't 'waste a cross' or 'just get tackled'. They shoot. Every time. If half of the time he puts in a poor cross, there wouldn't be a problem!

Yes they do.

As with all complaints of this nature, the high number of long shots is down to the tactics the user employs. It is perfectly possible to have a very low number of long shots in a match. Further, the ME long shots average is at circa 38%, which is on par with reality. If you are seeing significantly higher than 40% long shots, then it is something in your tactical approach making it happen.

I wouldn't worry about reducing CF or lowering the long shot sliders. The most important thing is to ensure you have players in support of the ball carrier. Encouraging full backs to get forward or attackers to drop deep will both help. Playing wider and slower will also help, as this will give players more time and space to keep up with play.

Do not ever ask your players to learn shoots from distance. That's the 1 of the worse ppm. :)

Completely agree with this. I don't mind players taking long shots (believe it or not they go in occasionally), but only when it's a good and realistic option. The random +30 yarders are annoying, but as mentioned, if you set up your team properly, you can reduce these happening too frequently (although the long shot PPM will override this, so never teach it to anyone).

My problem with (hopeless) long shots, especially with the PPM, is that there are always better options than shooting from distance. The chance of scoring from more than 20 meters out is very low - the % of goals coming from them is insignificant. This means that there are only a few instances where shooting from distance is the correct choice; the rest of the time doing so is simply a wrong choice.

* When there is a huge chance of suffering a break-away

* When the ball is squared outside the area in front of a backing-off defence

* When there is movement inside the box and the shooter is unmarked and in space outside the area

When long shots is set to rarely, more often than not good players avoid shooting in these situations. My lurking player on corners often dribbles inside the area before shooting - the most risky thing he could possibly do in that situation. That is the cost of setting it to rarely throughout.

But if I set it to Sometimes, the amount of shots happening in situations where doing so is detrimental to the team increases to the extreme. I can't imagine how bad it must be at Often, but I have never set it to that. I think it probably looks like all your players have the PPM and poor Decisions, Team work and Creativity attributes - which means they will shoot with their first touch regardless of where they are on the pitch and ignoring all other viable options. I don't plan on finding out...

So I usually have between 0 and 10% long shots per game, and the reason is entirely pragmatic: as long as I can't tell my players to shoot from distance when it is the correct decision to do so, I would rather have them squander a goal opportunity the few times in a match where one of the three situations above occurs. In other words - the long shots slider should go. Players should shoot from distance when the decision to do so is correct, and that should be governed by Flair/Creative Freedom, Decisions and Long Shots (which should be a tendency as well as a useful skill - having a player with good long shots should be a good thing; he should score more often than now and the opponents should be afraid of him, causing increased pressure on their defence).

I've been using a standard 4-4-2 with a poor team and a standard 4-2-3-1 (zonal marking) with a good team. Never do I get more than 20-25% long shots. And if I shout at the players to work the ball into the box long shots almost stops.

Also I've read that wingers doesn't work defensively. They work fine in my standard 4-2-3-1 tactic. I have my wingers as winger(support) and they track down to a satisfying degree as well as scoring and assisting.

I guess if you believe you are a tactical genius and you work the tactical sliders weird things will happen. Using the tactical creator (combined with shouts as the match progress) and having just a bit of football understanding the ME will work ok (off course it has it few blunders, though).

To answer the original question: there's obviously a point to this instruction. I signed an excellent all-round midfielder in the lower leagues who, on top of excellent passing and creativity also had excellent technique and long shots. He was my best player by miles. I set him to long shots often and he scored a bucketload. Every now and then he'd have a game where his shooting was pathetic though, in which case I'd reduce the slider. I was actively encouraging him to shoot whenever he saw the opportunity, but I didn't want my other midfielders doing this!

It's probably also worth mentioning that aside from a lack of options, players will take long shots when they're set to a very attacking mentality or when they're not mentally in the right frame of mind for the game - sort of like they're trying to hard. I see this both when they're super fired up and when the pressure is getting to them to perform. It's up to you as manager to react to this and get them to calm down a bit.

The PPM can be a PITA though, especially when players who can't shoot get it (had a player with 9 long shots who thought he was Ronald Koeman).

As sjm says, a player in the right position with the right attributes can be a lethal weapon with long shooting.

I had an MC who made a habit of arriving just as an attack was going nowhere and smacking the ball into the back of the net.

But for 99.9% of players it's a disaster.

I have a player (Steven Schumacher) who likes to take long shots no matter what you try to do to stop him. You could kidnap his children and threaten to dismember them, and he'd still do it. So I gave up trying to stop him, and instead put him on long range shot training. Worked a treat - now he scores several screamers a season and seems to enjoy having his own personal goal of the season contest!

It happens a lot when the 3D clearly shows a better option.

If the 3d shows a better option and your players aren't taking it then you need to look at their instructions.

As has been pointed out already players take long shots when they don't have other options within the instructions issued.

Even then though you should expect a reasonable amount of long shots as wwfan has explained in his post.

Trying to stop long shots by setting sliders to rarely is poor management, it makes it easier for the opposition defence, it takes away a significant way of scoring and also lowers the amount of set pieces you get which are another main way of scoring.

I believe the proper response to all this is, "I'll set their sliders to "long shot more than rarely" when my players set their personal sliders to "long shot not like Jonny Wilkinson"...

In all seriousness, the work ball into box shout is reasonably helpful, but I find it costs me some stuff on the edge of the box (generally guys inside the D wait until they really really have to shoot, which is generally two seconds after they had the perfect window to and one second after a centre back stood right in front of them...) Either way, in the last couple of years the long shots have got out of hand and need a tweak or two.

Either way, in the last couple of years the long shots have got out of hand and need a tweak or two.

Actually, they've been reduced by circa 10% in recent years. They did use to be too high. Now they are pretty much accurate. I'd agree that some of the options taken are poor, but the overall numbers are pretty good.

They do, but those don't end up in highlights.

I don't see the problem. I average 1-2 long shots max per game, most games 0. Tbh as others have said, it's most likely your tactics. Understand the ME, then imply your tactics. Don't just do your tactics from what you would do IRL. The ME is in need of an overhall, I must admit though

Also, to note, 'Long shot' PPM is terrible, had Junior Holiett and Mariga and the extended higlights always showed their shots. Holiett would dribble pasts players and then sky it from 25+ yards out. Whereas Mariga would pick the ball up 30yards out and shoot regardless of better options. Holiett had one game where he took 7 terrible long shots, even with limited CF and rarely LS.

What part of "do not shoot long shots" is hard for Si and the mods here to understand?

When I tell them to not take long shots, I expect them to not take long shots. It's a clear and explicit instruction for what to do when in a position to take a long shot, and if I tell them not to take a long shot, the players should not bloody take long shots. I've just told them never to take long shots. What's the point of the instruction if they ignore it?

ppl that have problems with this clearly dont understand the ME, when I use my regular 4-5-1/4-3-3 tactic I get about one long shoots each match, unless Beñat is starting in central midfield (which in itself is not really a problem, since he is pretty good at long shooting and his ppm's make him do just that)

What part of "do not shoot long shots" is hard for Si and the mods here to understand?

When I tell them to not take long shots, I expect them to not take long shots. It's a clear and explicit instruction for what to do when in a position to take a long shot, and if I tell them not to take a long shot, the players should not bloody take long shots. I've just told them never to take long shots.

As C&C has pointed out its rarely NOT never.

You have also given your players creative freedom to override your main instructions even if its at a minimal level.

Basically no instruction is absolute, its a guideline.

What's the point of the instruction if they ignore it?

The users that have issues with long shots tend to have given instructions that at times players can't follow on the field - no open teammate within the passing range and risk level, not encouraged to pass sideways or backwards etc.

In those instances the player on the field simply can't follow any of your instructions so ends up taking a shot. The answer is to improve your overall tactic and give the players taking shots options so they aren't forced to shoot. Even then though you should expect a fair few shots from distance as happens in RL.

They do, but those don't end up in highlights.

Just to repeat, you can watch full games (as I do, every single match) and you won't see players "just get tackled" on the edge of the box. I'm not saying that this long-range shooting thing can't be overcome with appropriate tactics, just pointing out that this 'highlights' thing is a bit of a red herring.

I also think it seems needlessly complex that to prevent bizarre amounts of long shooting you have to "understand the match engine". I've watched (and played in!) some terrible football teams whose players would often be short of options over about 30 years, and never seen players shoot from range as frequently (or even close to as frequently) as my rather successful FM team.

Long shots are a hoot.

If they don't hit, set 'em to focus on training long shots.

Opponent parked the bus? A long shot can still go in.

Being counter-attacked to death? After the long shot, your team is already in balance, no counter-attack possible.

Facing vastly superior opposition? Aside from set pieces, a lucky long shot is your best bet.

I also think it seems needlessly complex that to prevent bizarre amounts of long shooting you have to "understand the match engine".

I agree. You only need to understand football.

In nearly every example of the 'long-shot syndrome' I've seen, the shooter is out of obvious passing options and the last man in the midfield line with the FBs pushed up level with him. If he loses the ball, either in an intercepted pass or the tackle, the opposition will have a three on two break. So, he shoots as the lowest risk option. As I explained earlier, the main method of preventing excessive long shots is to ensure the man on the ball doesn't get in these situations, which means thinking about how to give him multiple obvious passing options at all times.

The users that have issues with long shots tend to have given instructions that at times players can't follow on the field - no open teammate within the passing range and risk level, not encouraged to pass sideways or backwards etc.

In those instances the player on the field simply can't follow any of your instructions so ends up taking a shot. The answer is to improve your overall tactic and give the players taking shots options so they aren't forced to shoot. Even then though you should expect a fair few shots from distance as happens in RL.

They're also not encouraged to take long shots. Why exactly do they prefer it to a sideways or backwards pass then? Makes no sense. No way is taking a long shot a player's natural instinct when out of options. It's the same thing with players getting caught on the ball. When a player is in lots of space but with no forward passing options they won't just stand there doing circles until they're closed down like in FM. They'd use the space to find an angle for a pass, make a backpass or failing that simply punt it forward (or out of play as a last resort). Sure it's a tactical issue but the way it presents itself is not quite how it should be.

Still doesn't make any sense. I mean I've played football myself and I can't recall ever thinking 'oh I must shoot here just to be safe'. There are always other options, like a very speculative through ball into space (or over the top) or a cross etc and these are always the more instinctive choices.

Still doesn't make any sense. I mean I've played football myself and I can't recall ever thinking 'oh I must shoot here just to be safe'. There are always other options, like a very speculative through ball into space (or over the top) or a cross etc and these are always the more instinctive choices.

So in real life you've never been in a situation like what users put players in on FM. That doesn't surprise me at all, unrealistic tactics/instructions that you don't see in real life leading to unrealistic outcomes.

The answer is the same improve the tactics so the players don't get into these situations.

#Note - You also can't expect the AI to act like a human brain and instantly consider all the options. The AI can only follow the instructions you have given.

One of the main reasons people think there are better options is because they're able to see the entire pitch. Each player can only see a "cone" of visibility around them, depending on their creativity attribute.

People also seem to expect players to be able to do things that you're far more likely to see in Fifa than in an actual match. There are very few players in history capable of making real magic with a football.

Then the AI needs to be improved so the players would consider a speculative over the top ball (for example) as a more insinctive action than a long shot. It's not that difficult really. If half the 'out of options' long shots were replaced with punts over the top/through balls for no-one in particular/crosses/putting the ball out of play it would be a more realistic representation of football.

Personally I have no problem with my players taking long shots. It gets me corners, deflections etc and leads to chances/goals. But you should be able to tell your players to shoot rarely and then expect them to actually not do it often even when they run out of clear passing options - if that's how you want to play. I think there's way too few speculative passes in FM anyway, not every pass should need a clear target in space or someone making a specific run.

People also seem to expect players to be able to do things that you're far more likely to see in Fifa than in an actual match. There are very few players in history capable of making real magic with a football.

There are also not that many players that feel fully confident taking a shot from 35 yards. These players are far more likely to try something else (which might be something similarly desperate) when in a position to take that shot. A poor player's first instinct is to go backwards - not to try a difficult shot.

There are also not that many players that feel fully confident taking a shot from 35 yards. These players are far more likely to try something else (which might be something similarly desperate) when in a position to take that shot. A poor player's first instinct is to go backwards - not to try a difficult shot.

A long shot is also far more likely to make a highlight and be something that sticks in the memory.

If you're seeing anything above realistic levels then there's something you're doing tactically which is "breaking" the match engine (ie forcing it to behave strangely).

I'm not, as I already said. Although the amount of long shots FM players like to take on their weaker foot is something that has annoyed me for years - anyone who's ever played football and isn't two-footed will know how difficult it is to set your body up for a long shot on your weaker side. All I'm saying is that the ME should be improved so you couldn't force it to behave strangely and that players taking long shots 'to be safe' is not quite what should happen (often).

I'm not, as I already said. Although the amount of long shots FM players like to take on their weaker foot is something that has annoyed me for years - anyone who's ever played football and isn't two-footed will know how difficult it is to set your body up for a long shot on your weaker side. All I'm saying is that the ME should be improved so you couldn't force it to behave strangely and that players taking long shots 'to be safe' is not quite what should happen (often).

Not going to argue with that. Nor with how often a player shoots when the route to goal is blocked. Nor when he has players well placed in the box but ignores them and goes for glory from an extreme angle.

However, every tactic I've seen that produces high numbers of long shots suffers the flat midfield issue highlighted in post #36. In these types of situations, unrealistic though they may be, the long shot is the best option as it is the least likely to result in the dangerous counter. Even an attempted chip over the top or speculative through ball is far more risky, as a simple knock back into space by the defender initiates the counter.

However, every tactic I've seen that produces high numbers of long shots suffers the flat midfield issue highlighted in post #36. In these types of situations, unrealistic though they may be, the long shot is the best option as it is the least likely to result in the dangerous counter. Even an attempted chip over the top or speculative through ball is far more risky, as a simple knock back into space by the defender initiates the counter.

Should the players even be able to see it like that though? As Ackter has pointed out the players don't have full vision of where everyone is at every moment unless they have a Paul Scholes Radar built into their brain. So when the options are not clear and the situation gets desperate I feel they should be reverting to instinctive behaviour instead of calmly weighing the pros and cons of every possible action and calcualting risks. Putting your player in a situation where everything other than a long shot results in your team being countered should most likely lead to your team being countered unless that player is really comfortable at shooting.

Should the players even be able to see it like that though? As Ackter has pointed out the players don't have full vision of where everyone is at every moment unless they have a Paul Scholes Radar built into their brain. So when the options are not clear and the situation gets desperate I feel they should be reverting to instinctive behaviour instead of calmly weighing the pros and cons of every possible action and calcualting risks. Putting your player in a situation where everything other than a long shot results in your team being countered should most likely lead to your team being countered unless that player is really comfortable at shooting.

Hence, why long shots should both be a skill attribute and a tendency attribute combined. If this is implemented correctly, there is no need for either the bugged PPM or the long shot slider.

Players are using weaker foot when shooting (short or long) too often in my opinion. It should be natural (instinctive) tendency to use preferred foot even for two footed players.

Archived