Do Season Expectations affect your team?

A couple of seasons ago I was over-achieving in the league- I think I was 3rd or 4th when my start of season expectations were mid-table. Come January I was offered to change my expectations, but I declined, wanting to play it safe. My form then slumped, and I ended up finishing 7th.

So what I'm asking is were my team affected by this decision? Did it make them complacent? Or was it just coincidence, and the board expectations only affects your job security?

I'm in a similar position again and I need advice!

I think it will affect the team. If they know that you only expect a mid table finish then they will look at united and think "ahh well we can lose this" where as if they know your expecting a fight for the title they will look at united and think "this is a must win match"

*united used as example, other teams also count

Cheers, in the past I never really thought about changing expectations except regarding my job security. Just goes to show, when it comes to FM we never stop learning!

EDIT: My next game after changing my expectations I beat Chelsea 3-1, completely dominating the game. I'm not going to believe that's a coincidence!

I guess I can't be certain, as there is no explicit reaction from players when you set your expectations to the board at the start of the season, but I strongly suspect it does effect the players. Even if it its second hand from the job security of the manager, which is affected by the expectations set.

Archived