The Portuguese Thread: featuring the star of the tournament.

ibra8

portugalfpf.png

Nickname (s): Selecção das Quinas,
Os Navegadores
Association: Federação Portuguesa de Futebol
Head Coach: Paulo Bento
Asst Coach: Leonel Pontes
João Aroso
Captain: Cristiano Ronaldo
Most caps: Luís Figo (127)
Top Scorer: Pauleta (47)
Fifa Ranking: 8

Uefa Euro 2012 squad

Age Caps Goals Club

[b]GK[/b]

Ruí Patricio 24 3 0 Sporting Clube de Portugal
Eduardo 29 26 0 Sport Lisboa e Benfica (loan)
Beto 30 1 0 CFR Cluj (loan)

[b]Defenders[/b]

Miguel Lopes 25 0 0 Sporting Clube de Braga (loan)
João Pereira 28 5 0 Valencia
Fábio Coentrão 24 14 0 Real Madrid
Ricardo Costa 31 10 0 Valencia
Rolando 26 10 0 Futebol Clube do Porto
Bruno Alves 30 35 5 Zenit St Petersburg
Pepe 29 35 2 Real Madrid

[b]Midfielders[/b]

Custódio 29 0 0 Sporting Clube de Braga
Hugo Viana 30 11 2 Sporting Clube de Braga
Rúben Micael 25 1 2 Real Zaragoza (loan)
Miguel Veloso 26 21 2 Genoa
João Moutinho 25 33 1 Futebol Clube do Porto
Raul Meireles 29 46 8 Chelsea

[b]Forwards[/b]

Nélson Oliveira 20 0 0 Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Varela 27 5 1 Futebol Clube do Porto
Quaresma 28 30 3 Besiktas
Hugo Almeida 28 36 12 Besiktas
Hélder Postiga 29 40 15 Real Zaragoza
Nani 25 44 9 Manchester United
Cristiano Ronaldo 27 87 32 Real Madrid

European Championship Record

Year               Round              GP       W       D       L      GS       GA
1960                 -                                      
1964                 -                     
1968                 -                      
1972                 -                     
1976                 -                     
1980                 -                     
1984               Semis               4       1       2       1       4        4
1988                 -                     
1992                 -                     
1996           Quarter-finals          4       2       1       1       5        2
2000               Semis               5       4       0       1       10       4
2004               Final               6       3       1       2       8        6
2008           Quarter-finals          4       2       0       2       7        6            
2012             Qualified

Total               6/13               23      12      4       7       34       22

Yes- but only what 3 outfield players 30+?

So tournament wise that seems fine!

Yes, for this tournament it's fine, and probably for the World Cup too. But it will be a big issue in long term.

Ozil plays for Germany mate!

The guy that assists Ronaldo at Real madrid? Maybe in 2016:p

I doubt ronaldo will even score, and if he does it will be a penalty.

With all the focus on him, I'd say you're probably right. His best chances to score will be from set pieces.

I think it will give Nani an opportunity to shine.

Isn't it a bit worrying that Nélson Oliveira aside, there are no U23 players in Portugal's squad?

It's the result of our clubs being filled with foreigners. We have some good young players, but they're to raw to play in this euro.

I hope to see some good football from Portugal. Like their team, this in contrast with many other Dutch people who seriously have a very big unhealthy hatred against the Portugease team.

I would be surprised if Portugal plays good football this tournament, this is not a creative team like in the recent past.

The midfielders were clearly choose with counter-attack in mind, none of them is very creative except Hugo Viana, who probably won't play much.

Matches against Germany and Netherlands will be simple, there will be space to play. What they can do with it is another question.

Denmark will be tougher, they will give Portugal the initiative and the lack of creativity will show if they can't score soon. Plus, the strikers are crap (except Oliveira).

Curious to see how we will do against Turkey tonight and if there's gonna be any surprise in the starting XI.

Would like to see Custódio in the midfield.

I might watch this. Never get much of a chance to watch Portugal in between international tournaments - interesting to see what they're like now.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting a defeat against Turkey.

The result is a bit deceiving though. We had more ball possession, more shots and more goal opportunities (Hugo Almeida:mad:). They scored in pretty much every shot made and their 3rd goal is just stupid.

But our midfield can't be Veloso-Meireles-Moutinho, there's no creativity. Hugo Viana has to play and André Martins should've been called.

It's so frustrating to watch Ronaldo sometimes. What the hell did he try to do after the elastico.

[video=youtube;-fFPneSiA2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fFPneSiA2k&feature=related

Slightly off-topic, but having read the opening post, can any Portuguese tell me why Portugal had only managed to qualify once for the championships up until 1996?? Really surprised to read that stat.

Why not though? Benfica etc were well established then. Is this often discussed amongst Portuguese fans?

Less teams in the tournament, so harder to qualify.

Inside wars between players from Sporting-Benfica-Porto (now most play in other countries).

General inferiority complex against big teams.

This only really started to change in the 90's.

Also the conditions outside the big clubs were very poor and the standard level of coaching was low (this had a complete turnaround in the last 30 years or so, we now have some of the best coaches in the world).

Less teams in the tournament, so harder to qualify.

Inside wars between players from Sporting-Benfica-Porto (now most play in other countries).

General inferiority complex against big teams.

This only really started to change in the 90's.

Also the conditions outside the big clubs were very poor and the standard level of coaching was low (this had a complete turnaround in the last 30 years or so, we now have some of the best coaches in the world).

Yep, to the second point I'd add that only 1 or 2 players at best played outside Portugal, so they weren't used to the top level rhythm of the top leagues.

I didn't watch yesterday's match with much attention but if we're going to have a huge amount of bad luck, then better have it now than in the tournament. The Pepe owngoal was amazing. :D Hugo Almeida surely yesterday killed any minor chance he had of starting any game? Unbelievable poor game from him.

In terms of midfield it's a shame, Meireles isn't world class but would be very handy for any national team in the world, Moutinho has been superb ever since moving for Porto and at this point would deserve more international recognition, Veloso has incredibly accurate feet, but it's all a very industrious midfield lacking creativity. We could get away with it given the burden of attack won't be on us for the Germany and Holland games, and this midfield is much better suited for contention than construction, however I don't feel the team is solid enough defensively to play merely on the break. Which is a little weird given some of the few positions where we genuinely have world class players is at the back.

One of the problems is that none of the 3 midfielders fielded yestarday has defensive characteristics. Veloso plays in the DM slot but he's more of a deep playmaker than a ball winner. And without a 'pure' DM against Germany and Netherlands, I don't like our odds.

One of the problems is that none of the 3 midfielders fielded yestarday has defensive characteristics. Veloso plays in the DM slot but he's more of a deep playmaker than a ball winner. And without a 'pure' DM against Germany and Netherlands, I don't like our odds.

That is true, I like Veloso for his impressive technical ability but he can't hold the defensive part of a midfield by himself, I'd rather have Meireles as a DM. I think he's pretty solid there actually even if his best position is slightly further ahead.

Yes, Meireles should be the DM. We beat a top Spain side 4-0 (5-0) easily with him playing there, 4 goals on the counter.

Only difference from that team to now was Bosingwa and Carlos Martins really. If we did it at that time, we can do it again. Ruben Micael can play instead of Carlos, he's not very good but at least thinks fast and presses more than Veloso. (Manuel Fernandes should have been called, dammit)

Everyone is tipping Germany and Holland to beat us easily, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park. Portugal just can't beat a defensive team if they can't score in the first 20 minutes.

Against Denmark Hugo Viana has to start. He was called just because of that match.

Yes, Meireles should be the DM. We beat a top Spain side 4-0 (5-0) easily with him playing there, 4 goals on the counter.

Only difference from that team to now was Bosingwa and Carlos Martins really. If we did it at that time, we can do it again. Ruben Micael can play instead of Carlos, he's not very good but at least thinks fast and presses more than Veloso. (Manuel Fernandes should have been called, dammit)

Everyone is tipping Germany and Holland to beat us easily, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park. Portugal just can't beat a defensive team if they can't score in the first 20 minutes.

Against Denmark Hugo Viana has to start. He was called just because of that match.

I don't know about Fernandes because I don't watch Besiktas, but André Martins should be there. Replacing Ruben Micael.

Eight years ago we were discussing how Rui Costa and Deco could coexist in the same XI. Now we don't have anyone that even comes close to those 2:(

Against Germany my midfield would be Moutinho-Custódio-Meireles. We'll need a true dm for that game and Custódio is the only we've got.

Yes, André Martins.

I'd rather have him than the "zidane da Madeira". Like a few others in the 23, I don't see what he adds to the squad.

Fernandes, as I said, I don't know because I don't pay attention to the turkish league. I'm not gonna pick him just because he has a "bigger" name.

André Martins has great potential but I'm not sure he could step up to the level of a Euro Cup. It's great to invest in young players but if you realistically want to be one of the best teams you need to have an experienced group.

André Martins may have potential, but he has done nothing to deserve to be anywhere near the NT. 2 or 3 decent matches in his career? Come on...

Nélson Oliveira at least almost won de U-20 World Cup by himself.

Even the likes of Adrien Silva should be ahead of him.

Regarding Manuel Fernandes, we all know he is very good, and he was important for Besiktas this year, thats all we need to know. When his head is focused, he is a superb player. And there's also Paulo Machado.

He's had more than 2/3 good games this season. It's my opinion, I think he could be useful.

But regardless of my opinion, the point is that I think there isn't anyone capable of shaking things from the midfield. A player capable of carrying the ball forward into the opponent's defense.

That makes us predictable. Our opponents know that most danger will come from Nani and Ronaldo.

Thanks! I saw he was 270/1 to be top goalscorer and for a striker who is expected to start this is too high even though I'm sure he won't score many, if any. Paulo Ferreira should be Portugal's right back still btw :thup:

Thanks! I saw he was 270/1 to be top goalscorer and for a striker who is expected to start this is too high even though I'm sure he won't score many, if any. Paulo Ferreira should be Portugal's right back still btw :thup:

He retired from the NT, too soon, like many others did, Simão, Tiago, Deco etc.

I have a feeling Oliveira might surprise and start however.
Highly doubtful. Although I wouldn't mind that at all. Postiga will never be a top striker and Nélson might very well be, so I'd get him some time in the Euro just for him to gain experience, and I'm sure he would not compromise.

Bento was never going to change the XI used in the qualification stage..

But from those 3, I think that Custódio has a good chance of "stealing" Veloso´s place.

Nani recovered and is fit to play.

That midfield... Hugo Viana should have replaced Meireles in the 2nd half to offer some creativity in the middle.

Good game from Coentrão, Pepe and Bruno A. Also liked Varela's 15m, despite that poor shot.

Agreed that they needed someone in the hole , quite the gap between central midfield and Postiga, Nani fairly dissapointing and should have got Ronaldo attacking Boateng far more often, Varela should have dummied and gone to the left of the sliding defender + Neuer. Played well though, Coentrao looked good, shame the fluidity of the game was ruined by the ref's constant whistle. Think Portugal will progress now, massive match vs Dutch likely.

We have to beat Denmark first. And that's clearly not going to be an easy game.

But if we get the 3 points against the danish, a draw vs Holland will be enough. Because Germany will most likely finish this group with 9 points.

Archived