Bjorn Kuipers (NED)

Stéphane Lannoy (FRA)

Pedro Proença (POR)

Nicola Rizzoli (ITA)

Damir Skomina (SVN)

Wolfgang Stark (GER)

Craig Thomson (SCO)

Carlos Velasco Carballo (ESP)

Howard Webb (ENG) (Mark Clattenberg & Martin Atkinson are the behind the goal assistants fwiw)

In addition, four fourth officials who will only act in this specific function have been appointed. The quartet are:

Marcin Borski (POL)

Tom Harald Hagen (NOR)

Pavel Královec (CZE)

Viktor Shvetsov (UKR)

I can think of either a horrendously bad decision, or a dreadful game, that three of those referees have been involved in this season.

What is the UEFA criteria? Why can you make awful decisions and still get this job.

By all means point to a top level referee who never makes bad mistakes?

I wasn't talking about their entire career, I was talking about the season just gone. You should be rewarding officials who are making good decisions, not the ones who have made awful errors the previous campaign and still getting in.

I was talking about the season just gone as well, I doubt you'll find 12 referees at the top level who didn't make some bad mistakes in the course of the season. Pretty much the same as with the players, you'd have a hard time putting together a team for the Euros if you discounted those who'd made bad mistakes over the season, why should the refs be viewed any differently?

I can think of either a horrendously bad decision, or a dreadful game, that three of those referees have been involved in this season.

What is the UEFA criteria? Why can you make awful decisions and still get this job.

Without wanting to state the obvious - players have bad games. I can remember Rooney having 1 or 2 shockers this season. Should have left him at home tbh.

• SI Staff
I was talking about the season just gone as well, I doubt you'll find 12 referees at the top level who didn't make some bad mistakes in the course of the season. Pretty much the same as with the players, you'd have a hard time putting together a team for the Euros if you discounted those who'd made bad mistakes over the season, why should the refs be viewed any differently?

Whilst I think Howard Webb is an absolute joke, I cannot think of flawless referees. I think the refereeing standard of Dutch referees is also incredibly poor... so I don't know, maybe I put too much hope in their capabilities?

Whilst I think Howard Webb is an absolute joke, I cannot think of flawless referees. I think the refereeing standard of Dutch referees is also incredibly poor... so I don't know, maybe I put too much hope in their capabilities?

I think people remember the referee mistakes much more than player mistakes. I could probably still get worked up about the penalty that Newcastle got against us this season, for example, while I would have to go and have a long hard think to remember an equally bad miss from our strikers, never mind the exact game it happened in.

Every single referee that you could get to referee at the Euros will have made some bad calls last season. The problem is that we demand perfection from them as their mistakes are so high profile.

To compare it a bit more with players: If Rooney has 100 things to do in a match and does 99 of them right, chances are he'll end up walking off with the match ball and a bottle of champagne, even if the 1 thing he did wrong was an own goal or a mistake that lead to a goal. If Terry does the same he'll likely have scored a goal and prevented a lot of chances for the opposition, even if he made a mistake that lead to a goal he'll have had a good game.

If a referee has 100 things to do and gets 99 right, he's pretty much got to hope he didn't make a bad mistake. No matter what the 99 things are that he did right, one wrong call that leads to a goal (or not awarding a goal) will mean that's all he's remembered for in that game. For example that Newcastle penalty I mentioned, I couldn't tell you a single other thing the ref did in that game. He might have played a great advantage, handled the players like a brilliant psychologist and let the game flow amazingly. I couldn't tell you, all I remember is that bloody penalty he gave.

• SI Staff
I think people remember the referee mistakes much more than player mistakes. I could probably still get worked up about the penalty that Newcastle got against us this season, for example, while I would have to go and have a long hard think to remember an equally bad miss from our strikers, never mind the exact game it happened in.

Every single referee that you could get to referee at the Euros will have made some bad calls last season. The problem is that we demand perfection from them as their mistakes are so high profile.

To compare it a bit more with players: If Rooney has 100 things to do in a match and does 99 of them right, chances are he'll end up walking off with the match ball and a bottle of champagne, even if the 1 thing he did wrong was an own goal or a mistake that lead to a goal. If Terry does the same he'll likely have scored a goal and prevented a lot of chances for the opposition, even if he made a mistake that lead to a goal he'll have had a good game.

If a referee has 100 things to do and gets 99 right, he's pretty much got to hope he didn't make a bad mistake. No matter what the 99 things are that he did right, one wrong call that leads to a goal (or not awarding a goal) will mean that's all he's remembered for in that game. For example that Newcastle penalty I mentioned, I couldn't tell you a single other thing the ref did in that game. He might have played a great advantage, handled the players like a brilliant psychologist and let the game flow amazingly. I couldn't tell you, all I remember is that bloody penalty he gave.

Fair point. Although you could probably say if a referee makes ONE big mistake (game decision) - it's a not a dramatical outing. I can definitely recall a few games where Howard Webb made probably 4-5 massive mistakes.

Then again, I'm not sure if we realize how difficult it must be.

Sometimes you slate goalkeepers for making really dodgy moves and things like - oh my goodness, my granny could have saved it.. I' ve been in a 'proper' goal during a game - and only then I realized how difficult it actually is. If you have someone shooting at you to a good angle at 50 miles per hour - you better be a good goalkeeper ;)

Fair point. Although you could probably say if a referee makes ONE big mistake (game decision) - it's a not a dramatical outing. I can definitely recall a few games where Howard Webb made probably 4-5 massive mistakes.

Must say something about the quality of other refs if he is still getting high enough ratings from the ref assessment to get to Euro2012, then?

Your second point is quite valid, it's very easy to sit in front of the tv and have a go at all and sundry, quite harder to know what they are going through themselves on the pitch.

• SI Staff
Must say something about the quality of other refs if he is still getting high enough ratings from the ref assessment to get to Euro2012, then?

Your second point is quite valid, it's very easy to sit in front of the tv and have a go at all and sundry, quite harder to know what they are going through themselves on the pitch.

You do tend to watch with a little extra attention if someone is considered the best. Michael Jordan missed more than 15000 shots in his career... ;)

By all means point to a top level referee who never makes bad mistakes?

I was going to say the same thing, where are these perfect refs, bit unrealistic and it'd be helpful if players weren't utter gits as well, make it a lot easier to ref

Pedro Proenca had a good CL final.

He did, in fact he's been bloody good at international level, which is weird as domestic-wise he has such a bad reputation he was even punched in the face by a fan in a mall earlier in the season.

I think sometimes in the 'big' matches you see the ref and they're really good. They let stuff go, it's like they bring their A game. It's almost like 'why can't you always ref like this, all of you' but it seems they do it under instruction "we don't want a **** game, ok"

Referee Assignments for Opening Match

Poland v Greece - Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Russia v Czech Republic - Howard Webb (England)

Netherlands v Denmark - Damir Skomina (Slovenia)

Germany v Portugal - Stephane Lannoy (France)

I was going to say the same thing, where are these perfect refs, bit unrealistic and it'd be helpful if players weren't utter gits as well, make it a lot easier to ref

Noone is perfect,but refs get an astonishing number of decisions correct.Especially factoring in that the players are out to cheat the ref into making the wrong call all the time.

I wonder if anyone had more missed shots than him? Bryant might run him close tbf... Useless bunch of so-and-so's

Kobe is just about the same and Malone and Abdul-Jabbar are a few hundreds ahread. Of course Kobe has 1000+ more games played and Malone/Abdul-Jabbar has almost 5k+ games so...

Howard Webb not looking too shabby now, is he?

Webb looked exactly the same as always. Makes all the calls he has to and then also has a crapload of non-calls but as calls not made gets a lot less attention than calls wrongly made he gets away with it.

Craig Thomson is awful btw, one game and sent home methinks..

Pretty sure all refs will get 2 games during the group stage before any cuts are made.

Webb looked exactly the same as always. Makes all the calls he has to and then also has a crapload of non-calls but as calls not made gets a lot less attention than calls wrongly made he gets away with it.

My post was made before the second game, due to something or other that happened in the first game

Craig Thomson isn't a terrible referee per se, he's just extremely inconsistent (in terms of performance, that is), and prone to having shockers from time to time. He's bound to make a major clanger at some point.

I see Willie Collum is one of the behind the goal officials - he's one of the absolute worst I've ever seen, gives penalties for things that weren't fouls that happened behind him, doesn't give blatant penalties that happen right in front of him, winds up players, has an annoying manner. Awful.

Craig Thomson on his day is one of the best referees in the world. Sadly, when it isn't his day he's an absolute diddy. He's the referee version of Gary Caldwell....

Thought Howard Webb had a rather below average game yesterday - missed a stonewall penalty right in front of him, but gave at least 4 fouls for the same thing within 10-15 minutes of the incident (either side).

The Spanish dude was, well what I expected.

Referee appointments games 11-16

Wed 13th June

Portugal v Denmark - Craig Thompson (SCO)

Holland v Germany - Jonas Eriksson (SWE)

Thurs 14th June

Italy v Croatia - Howard Webb (ENG)

Spain v Ireland - Pedro Proenca (POR)

Fri 15th June

Ukraine v France - Bjorn Kuipers (NED)

England v Sweden - Damir Skomina (SVN)

Archived