FM10 vs. FM12 regens

Hello,

The last iteration of FM I played was the 2010 edition and looking at peoples' progress in the challenges forum has interested me in buying the latest version to have a go at one. Aside from that, I generally prefer a long-lasting game after all of the real-life players have retired, so naturally regen quality is an important factor, but I can't evaluate that in the demo. Can anyone give me an idea on the improvements/tweaks made on the regen system in the last two iterations of FM (stat distribution/quality, personalities, quality vs. original database in active and inactive leagues, etc.) and things that have had a strong impact on them (AI changes, training changes, etc.)?

I know the system can produce great top-class regens, but that's what the "rate my regen" thread is for ;). How about the mid-table or backup ones, for example, which people are less prone to posting? Have they improved? Stayed the same? Are the regen staff any better too?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

For me, my saves only really take off when my side (at least) is populated chiefly by newgens. I think the game does a decent job of providing different classes of newgens, although a couple decades in, top-class talent is almost uniquely from the "classic" big football nations - think Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy etc. - rarer to see generations of amazing talent in a lesser lauded nation such as the one Belgium have currently. You have the usual nuisances as well with unbalanced attributes (e.g. potentially world class CBs starting off with a '6' in Jumping), but, for me at least, nurturing such imperfections is just another challenge and pleasure of the game. As for backups/squad players, I think that has more to do with mentality (ambition, professionalism, loyalty etc.) than ability a lot of the time.

Hope that answers it a bit.

Archived