Roma

Rkane

Still new here so don't shoot me if this is in the wrong section!

Anyway, starting a 12 man online game within the next week or so, I am the host and I am using the editor to create a a Superleague....

And I've drawn Roma icon_mad.gif

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of using them, any advice on tactics etc?

I know I need to get some strikers in, as there is only one in the whole squad, although I can use Totti just off. But I would like more options there so will be scouting for others.

We have some good defenders in Mexes and Panucci, not so sure about midfield.

Basically, the league will consist of all the big euro names so in that context, I can see Roma being rated on the outskirts of the top 10. So i need to get some good tactics in order to compete against the Milans/Man U/Madrids etc.

ANY help would be really appreciated.

Yer you will need a back-up forward

totti in my opinion is one of the best forwards in the game

mexes and juan work well together in central defense BUT you definately need an LB as tonetto is awful but will do as a back-up player.

I suggest you offload some midfielders such as Brighti and Pit and possibly one more to raise funds

de rossi is brill as too is aquilani perhaps sell perrota

doni isn't the best GK but hes ok

Gd luck

Thats great lads.

Any idea on the best formation to use?

I know either way its going to be an uphill struggle with the other teams I've facing in the league.

Defensive or attack minded?

I'm thinking defensive but only because of the type of teams I'm facing.

I would make sure you play De Rossi at DM and put forward runs and run with ball to minimum and maximum through balls.

Suggested formation(imho a good one, worked well for me with a few sides) is 4-1-4-1

------------Doni-------------

Cicinho/Cassetti-Mexes-Juan-new DL

-----------De Rossi-----------

------------2MCs------------- (not sure who to play, possibly Totti there as he's better centrally)

-AMR--------------------AML-- (Again not sure who to pick use farows to FC and put everything full except shoot from distance)

-----------Vucinic-----------

That seems like a good option.

Has a good balance in that its not too overly defensive and gives me options to get forward.

I will definitely be the in the market for a couple of strikers, one is not enough for a season.

But yeah, that formation looks good, I think I might well start off with that.

I can't see Roma scoring loads against these sorts of teams, so its all about keeping it tight at the back and making sure I have a striker that will take the chances when they come.

I'd say loan in Bojan for a ST.. but i take it Barcelona will be part of the game.

You have a good team, just need a few improvements.

GK Doni is good

RB Cassetti is great

CB Mexes and Juan make a solid pairing

LB Need someone here, T.Taiwo is ideal for about 5m.

MF De Rossi and Aquilani are great, Totti is still world-class as an AMC. Mancini is a good winger.

ST Vucinic is good, need more here though. Amauri and Cavani from Palermo are both good options.

Having had a successful game as Roma a while back, here's my advice:

Tactics: 4-5-1 with a DM, 2 x MC and AML/AMR with forward arrows. Counter-attacking football.

(First choice/Second Choice)

GK - Doni/Curci - Both solid keepers in game, play whoever performs the best!

DL - Tonetto - your only real left-back, performs very well in game, cover this position with Panucci/Antunes (the latter being used in lesser games)

DC - Mexes

DC - Juan / Ferrari - Mexes and Juan provide a solid partnership in game, and Ferrari or even Panucci can provide good backup, but it is still a position worth strengthening.

DR - Panucci/Cicinho/Cassetti - Lots of depth in this position, Panucci provides the best defensive option, but will often be covering the backline and if you want an attacking threat bring in Cicinho. Cassetti is also a good player, so experiment in pre-season to see who performs the best.

DMC - De Rossi/Pizarro - De Rossi should be first choice all season as he's one of the best players in the game, but Pizarro can cover here and central midfield when necessary.

MC - Aquilani

MC - Perotta / Pizarro - Aquilani should slot straight in he turns out a very good AM. Perotta is also solid from the off, but if you want a more defensive outlook bring in Pizarro. Not the strongest position in terms of depth so you may wish to invest here.

AML - Taddei/Vucinic

AMR - Mancini/Giuly - with Mancini and Taddei you've got lots of versatility, play them wide with forward runs, allow them to switch flanks, and watch them create plenty for your strikers. Giuly is a good backup for the right, and Vucinic can play left if needed.

FC - Totti/Vucinic - Totti is clearly first choice here, although on occasion where you want to be more attacking, drop Totti to midfield and bring in Vucinic, or even play both up front. Vucinic is a good backup and works well as a target-man. Totti needs forward-run support from midfield and will create plenty of chances for his teammates. Not a lot of depth here but if you're only playing 1 as suggested then its fine.

Fringe/younger players:

Aleandro Rosi - on loan, for season 2 he can develop into a solid wing-back so don't offload him.

Ahmed Barusso - a DM with decent potential, but may be worth flogging

Ricardo Faty - sell

Adrian Pit - sell

Matteo Brighi - once promising, now a player you should look to offload asap.

Mauro Esposito - occasionally plays well but not worth keeping if you get an offer.

Vicenzo Montella - on loan, offload asap

Stefano Okaka - sell, not as good as he once "potentially" was.

Allessio Cerci - can be a wonderkid, so keep an eye out.

Transfer budget: Usually around £3-4m, can be up to £10m by asking your board.

Priority signings:

DC - Barzagli if you can get him cheap at the start, if not someone like Sakho would be a sound investment for his huge potential and ability to play LB.

DL - If you feel this is needed, Manuel Pasqual can sometimes be snapped up from Fiorentina at the start but he will eat up all of your budget. Taiwo is a cheaper option but a bit hit and miss.

MC - Cigarini and Dessena from Parma can be good and cheap at the start, but if you really want to strengthen here it may be worth waiting a season and signing someone like Luis Jiminez (Ternana), Montolivo, Kuzmanovic (Fiorentina) or Rosina (Torino). Jiminez can be signed for £3m and the others will cost £10-£20m depending on how Fiorentina do.

FC - Again down to personal preference but Amauri or Cavani are easily snapped up from Palermo but will use your whole budget. If you're planning on playing 4-5-1 as recommended though, just bring in any of the usual youngsters (ie Saivet) and try to nurture them through.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to all for the help with this.

A little progress report so far. We have 7 players in this game and so far I'm coping quite well.

I failed to get in a striker before season started, so I'm relying too heavily on Totti, who has so far scored 10 in 9 in the Prem. I did buy in two wingers Rosina and Modric, that have made sure the 4-5-1 works like a dream.

Here is the current table:

http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49891_ILT_Wk_5_122_228lo.jpg

For this game, we all voted on our forum as to whether or not we should all receive the same amoun t of money to start the game, which we did, £35mill.

I also adjusted the reputation of the teams so they were all equal, to even things out too.

I've got £10 mill left, can anyone recommend a good striker to poach for January?

You could try for Quagliarella, Sobis, Cavani or Pazzini but you might not get them for 10m

Look at Kezman, Makaay, Cruz as back up to Totti maybe.

Owen is available for 10m, also Defoe, Gyan, Utaka, Benjani etc ie strikers who are at mid table clubs.

Cheers again Adam.

I tried to get Pazzini pre season but the price was way too much.

Makaay, Cruz and Defoe look like good calls, will look at those options. I wanted Owen but one of the other players (Valencia) got him pre season.

Originally posted by Rkane:

For this game, we all voted on our forum as to whether or not we should all receive the same amoun t of money to start the game, which we did, £35mill.

I also adjusted the reputation of the teams so they were all equal, to even things out too.

I've got £10 mill left, can anyone recommend a good striker to poach for January?

Are you not using Vucinic? He's pretty damn good and becomes one of the best in game. If you use him and get a cheap and effective player like Stefan Kieβling as backup/rotate then you should have enough to start poaching any remaining youngsters.

In this game, we are not playing any Euro games (going on holiday) and just one cup (FA as I used the premier for the template) so I have used Totti in all the games so far.

He has just picked up an injury for 2 weeks so will use Vucinic to fill in.

Vucinic seems like the man then.

My front 5 at the mo usually is:

-------------Totti---------------

Modric--Perotta--Aqualina--Rosina

Vucinic's best position is AM or ST? If AM then I would put him in Perotta's place, if his best position is up front, then how about placing Totti in Perotta's place with Vucinic as ST?

i have De Rossi sitting behind them too.

If Vucinic is as hot as it seems, then I'd like to get him into my team, but its not possible with Totti performing so well.

This formation seems to be holding up quite well, the team has only not really competed in one game, which we lost 3-0 to Madrid.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update for anyone that cares!

Roma

I've not won a game in 6 now, and sliding down the table.

I recently tried to get to grips with the whole DL/CL balance but I'm not sure if I've got that right. Since I adjusted it I've lost 2 in a row. The board are also disappointed in my performance so far.

For some reason in this game the media have me down to finish 3rd!

Archived