Is not turning up for training the worst thing a player can do?

I mean discipline wise. Just seems a bit... Dull. In real life, you (every so often) have players fighting, going out, getting hammered and being snapped, driving over the limit, drug use, affairs etc etc...

So does anything more/worse than "such a person didn't turn up for training" ever happen on the game?

Pretty much none of the above can be included for legal reasons, all it takes is one mistake & suddenly Wayne Rooney is calling in his lawyers because his FM persona has been caught in a room full of strippers with a pile of snow big enough to ski down.

The legal reasons defense is so poorly thought through. Even if it were questionable to include such events with real players, it is still abundantly obvious that most of the players in the game are not real after you get through the first decade.

The legal reasons defense is so poorly thought through. Even if it were questionable to include such events with real players, it is still abundantly obvious that most of the players in the game are not real after you get through the first decade.

Yeah you say that until a footballer sues for a couple million for defamation of character....

It's such an absurd feature request. The game has so many other issues, that bringing in a new feature like these would only further compound the issues to fix.

It wouldn't add anything to the game.

It's such an absurd feature request. The game has so many other issues, that bringing in a new feature like these would only further compound the issues to fix.

It wouldn't add anything to the game.

Except realism...

Personally I would prefer if you had an option of loading up none of the actual players and all this crazy stuff could happen. Ah well, will never happen as there no point making 2 different games within the same game.

Except realism...

Then why not have international teams refusing to play because of money issues. Or have the Togo bus shot up and players and coaches killed in the attack. Why not have Goalkeepers assassinated for getting their team knocked out of the world cup. Or have players take heart attacks and die on the pitch. Or why not have your own team mates fighting on the pitch?

That's all real stuff that happens in real life too.

But you have to understand, that they are simulating a football game. Not real life.

It's best to keep to within boundaries. Without boundaries the game would be so unpredictable. If they're going to bring in some real life situations and not others, what are the boundaries? Where do you draw the line?

Do you want your Star Striker injured in a fight at the training ground the day before the Champions League final?

In my save, Tevez broke Adlers leg in training, a day before the Champions League Quarter Final that pissed me off to no end.

There would be absolutely no use in having players fighting at the training ground?

Finally - do you think that SI could strike the balance enough that it would only happen very rarely? Because I don't think they could.

I've only heard of about a handful of players in the last 30 years that have refused to play. And they were all not at the same club.

If it was to happen, it should only happen once or even twice in your entire career. And certainly not twice at the same club.

It's such a rare event, it's a waste of time even developing it.

Then why not have international teams refusing to play because of money issues. Or have the Togo bus shot up and players and coaches killed in the attack. Why not have Goalkeepers assassinated for getting their team knocked out of the world cup. Or have players take heart attacks and die on the pitch. Or why not have your own team mates fighting on the pitch?

That's all real stuff that happens in real life too.

But you have to understand, that they are simulating a football game. Not real life.

It's best to keep to within boundaries. Without boundaries the game would be so unpredictable. If they're going to bring in some real life situations and not others, what are the boundaries? Where do you draw the line?

Do you want your Star Striker injured in a fight at the training ground the day before the Champions League final?

In my save, Tevez broke Adlers leg in training, a day before the Champions League Quarter Final that pissed me off to no end.

There would be absolutely no use in having players fighting at the training ground?

Finally - do you think that SI could strike the balance enough that it would only happen very rarely? Because I don't think they could.

I've only heard of about a handful of players in the last 30 years that have refused to play. And they were all not at the same club.

If it was to happen, it should only happen once or even twice in your entire career. And certainly not twice at the same club.

It's such a rare event, it's a waste of time even developing it.

The voice of reason again from Eugene!

If this was developed it would immediately be criticized by the expert moaners (myself included) that inhabit these pages. Quite apart from taking programmers time aways from more urgent fixes that are required in the game.

Indubitably <--Fav word :)

Pretty much none of the above can be included for legal reasons, all it takes is one mistake & suddenly Wayne Rooney is calling in his lawyers because his FM persona has been caught in a room full of strippers with a pile of snow big enough to ski down.

This is completely absurd. There is absolutely NO legal reason any real player could sue SI for a randomly occurring event in a game.

1)Each persons game plays out differently. In my game Rooney might be player of the year...in another, if programmed, he might become a ladyboy and break down barriers in the EPL. But he wouldnt be able to sue because things happen randomly.

2)How would any real player ever know what would happen in our games?

3)Rooney actually hasnt given his consent to be in the game in the first place.

Yeah you say that until a footballer sues for a couple million for defamation of character....

Couldnt happen IRL. Unless it was hard programmed into the game to happen to a specific player at a specific time in everyones game.

This is completely absurd. There is absolutely NO legal reason any real player could sue SI for a randomly occurring event in a game.

1)Each persons game plays out differently. In my game Rooney might be player of the year...in another, if programmed, he might become a ladyboy and break down barriers in the EPL. But he wouldnt be able to sue because things happen randomly.

2)How would any real player ever know what would happen in our games?

3)Rooney actually hasnt given his consent to be in the game in the first place.

Couldnt happen IRL. Unless it was hard programmed into the game to happen to a specific player at a specific time in everyones game.

Where did you get your law degree?

Have you studied English law? How about EU law or Australian law?

Due to the game being shipped in so many territories it is prudent to ensure events like these do not happen as it is more cost effective to eliminate the risk of civil legal action than it is to research case law in each & every nation that is represented in the game plus AFAIK there is no legal precedent for defamation in the virtual world, what happens if a virtual event goes viral on social media platforms & becomes indistinguishable from real life?

This has sort of happened already, ARMA 2 clips were broadcast as real life footage in an ITV (UK Network TV broadcaster) documentary about the IRA & the illegal arms trade.

UCLA...you?

I never said anything about the leagalities of the situation. My credentials are beside the point.

Have you studied English law? How about EU law or Australian law?

Exactly.

As you say, Bababui, that in some versions Rooney could be labeled a "ladyboy" whatever that means.

It would take 1 fan to post to Rooney's twitter feed to say "In FM13 you were called a ladyboy by the media".

IF FM put into the game that players could randomly become violent and strike out at training, that would mean it would be completely unrealistic.

In real life you have players that has never got a yellow or red card in their life, or even remotely in trouble football wise - the nicest guy - and randomly within the game he lashes out at other players?

Where's the realism in that?

They'd have to programme the specific players within the game to act-out, based on their personalities, otherwise it wouldn't be realisitic.

And if it's written into the game that so-and-so will lash out, then they would have case for defamation of character through media.

And I'm not even a lawyer.

Let me explain this slowly...so you can understand.

No player has any cause to sue over an in-game event that may occur randomly.

Players like EPLers are far more likely to sue for having their names and stats included in the game without their permission and without compensation.

In real life you have players that has never got a yellow or red card in their life

Name me the player over say 25 who has never gotten a yellow card. They call some yellow cards professional fouls for a reason. A guy over 20 who hasnt picked one up is not a team player.

And if it's written into the game that so-and-so will lash out, then they would have case for defamation of character through media

No they dont. The game isnt played through the media and its already programmed in the game that players will lash out and commit vicious fouls. Where are the flood of lawsuits?

There is no legal precedent for character defamation in the virtual realm which means that a civil litigation lawyer could submit such an incident for legal review.

Try to think outside the box, if you can't then look forward to a life of conveyancing & will writing.

There is no legal precedent for character defamation in the virtual realm which means that a civil litigation lawyer could submit such an incident for legal review.

Try to think outside the box, if you can't then look forward to a life of conveyancing & will writing.

Using your own logic then say Rooney gets a red card for a vicious tackle in either of our games. Being the attention whore I am I post it to FB..'Look!! Hothead Shrek Rooney gets banned for vicious play!!' Sure any lawyer might try to sue over anything but the case is a sure loser because 1)The FM Rooney isnt a representation of the real Rooney and 2)The defamation has to be intentional.

Personally I prefer the fictional games because they are harder (I wont know who the players are at lower level 99% of the time) and more real life things happen to the players.

This also highlights a major failing of SI's management of FM: SI doesnt support modding. A Total Realism FM Mod would be just awesome.

The speed of your explanations isn't the issue here.

My point was that if it they randomly make players lash out then the game isn't realistic. Your argument for having training ground bust-ups is that it happens in real life. But it doesn't happen randomly - like on a given day suddenly my star striker that's never been in trouble in his life turns around an punches the captain?

How is that realistic? For it to be realistic it would have to be based on current personalities in the real world. And if it's based on their current behaviour - then you're assuming that this behaviour continues for years throughout the game.

It is not realistic to have a random factor in the game where any player at any given time will lash out.

The onus is on you to prove that players that generally are not in trouble in the football world have turned around and lashed out randomly.

Players like EPLers are far more likely to sue for having their names and stats included in the game without their permission and without compensation.

I was under the impression that these stats are collected by 3rd party operations like OPTA, and then sold to SI or whomever requires them to display.

I don't think a player can claim the rights on their "stats"?

And their name is included with deals made with the various leagues around the world - I thought. They wouldn't have to go to 400,000 individual people and get a contract signed?

The Football Association of that country hold those rights.

Name me the player over say 25 who has never gotten a yellow card. They call some yellow cards professional fouls for a reason. A guy over 20 who hasnt picked one up is not a team player.

Gary Linekar.

Say for example he was in the game. And he suddenly got sent off for a vicious foul - randomly. You'd be the first one on complaining.

There are players that are very well behaved on and off the pitch. And to put a random occurance in that one of your players will get into a bust-up at a training ground? It's unrealistic.

Players already have aggression and sportsmanship and things like that. That's enough.

We don't need a random event to spice up the training ground? It would just **** people off. And because it's so random it would be unrealistic.

It would have to be based on an individuals reputation and on their likelihood to do this.

No they dont. The game isnt played through the media and its already programmed in the game that players will lash out and commit vicious fouls. Where are the flood of lawsuits?

Computer games are not a form of media? Since when?

If it's a random event - then it's not realistic, which is what you want, realism.

If it's to be real, it has to be based on current players likelihood to do it, and do it often. And if it's written into the game that certain players behave badly, then no doubt word would get around.

And you'd have a field of lawyers flooding SI and Sega about how their client is represented in the media of the computer/video game.

Could probably solve all of this by making it only happen to newgens. I think more of a personality for players would be welcome, not to the extreme of specifics though (eg. Hookers/cheating on team mates wife). Just more personality clashes or differences. Also, paying a temperamental under 18 newgen £50,000pw and having no issues? Not for every player but players 'playing up' or not realising their potential because of out of football concerns would keep you on your toes in long term saves.

I think it would be great to have your assistant manager contact you and say 'Player X' is spending too much time out on the town when he should be focusing on football. This causes his attributes to drop if you don't address the issue. Think of Steven Ireland, David Bentley, Andy Carroll and to an extent Gerard Piqué being too fixated with his celebrity persona as of late.

Of course these are features that can only be implemented to a degree and when the player interaction is fixed and acceptable. Hardly an important feature but will add something that is greatly missing from FM, and that's man management.

They're professionalism would have to be extremely low.

I think it's more hindering to the development of the game, it won't really add anything exciting, just cause more problems. I already have players getting upset for 5 years when I forget to punish someone for being sent off. Or being unhappy because I "Passionately think winning the cup was great" and then players morale dips to abysmal for some reason.

There's far more important things to address within the game than adding a feature that will probably not work as intended. And it only cause more issues to fix.

Archived