Saving your game and databse into dropbox

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it on the search.

Just wondering if it is possible for you to have your database and save game location as your dropbox folder on your PC. I have a PC and a laptop and I'd like to play the same game on both, so I'm thinking I'll install dropbox on the laptop and then when I play on the laptop it'll save the modified game into dropbox, making the most up to date game available on the PC when I want to play.

Anyone done this/know if it works/won't work?!

Cheers.

I'm not sure it would. The files will be physically on the hard drive of the machine in what is the equivalent of a shared folder. It's whether it would cause issues uploading back to the Dropbox server every time the files are modified. I suppose it will probably be easier to simply drop the required files into Dropbox which will then always have an up to date copy of the file, and then save it to the correct location on whichever machine I'm playing on at the time. I'll give this a go tonight.

It would be a slow saving and loading process if you at all can get it to work.

The dropbox itself isn't virtual, but is a physical location on the local drive. Dropbox works by syncing the files in that specific local folder with the cloud.

As for whether it would work, I would suggest it would depend on your connection. Regularly uploading a 200MB save file certainly wouldn't be feasible on my 10 MBPS ADSL line (a pitiful 0.5 upload speed). The process would be even worse if you run a rolling save system.

If it turned out I had to drag and drop then yes that's the route I would take, but if it can run picking up the files direct from Dropbox then that would mean it's a much simpler idea with the files ready on either machine.

It does work. I do it all the time.

It does take time to update the files on the cloud and sync to the other computer. The files can get quite large over time.

If you have a Cap on your internet limit you may exceed it with upload and downloads.

I never got a chance to play last night (it took ages to sync all of the graphic files etc) but the more I think about it the more I reckon it should work. The only files that should sync now are related to the game save, and they will be synced by the time FM is launched. FM will access that file when it needs to, and as it's on the harddrive there should be no speed difference saving. That's if I've understood everything correctly. Will see what happens tonight.

It would work and does work, but it would be horribly slow and those files can get quite large. If you have a rolling save where its saving every week you can easily cap out your internet. What I do is, copy the file from the dropbox to your local hard drive and run it from there. When you are finished just copy it back onto the box. Then you only doing 1 upload.

I never got a chance to play last night (it took ages to sync all of the graphic files etc) but the more I think about it the more I reckon it should work. The only files that should sync now are related to the game save, and they will be synced by the time FM is launched. FM will access that file when it needs to, and as it's on the harddrive there should be no speed difference saving. That's if I've understood everything correctly. Will see what happens tonight.

Did you install the game into your Dropbox folder or something?

Why didn't you just save your game to the folder?

I have done this is does work but when you save your game you have to wait for it to upload to dropbox, and when you want to start playing on the other comp you have to wait for it to download as fm save files are quite large. If you dfont mind waiting before and after you play, then it should work fine as it did for me

Hope that helps

Archived