Will SI ever fix the awards?

The actual best player in Europe

PDN0V.jpg

The awarded 'best player in Europe'

u6hLM.jpg

Please, tell me how my player did not win the award? I don't care if he plays for a Moldovan side, he scored 23 goals in a successful European campaign and 86 overall. To base the awards on anything other than statistics is a joke, to be honest.

No ... the best player awards goes to players in one of the top (best reputation) European leagues. England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany. You may not like it, but that's how it is, in real football as well as in FM. A player in the Moldova league will never win a European award, no matter if he's twice as good as Messi.

No ... the best player awards goes to players in one of the top (best reputation) European leagues. England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany. You may not like it, but that's how it is, in real football as well as in FM. A player in the Moldova league will never win a European award, no matter if he's twice as good as Messi.

Only because they're the top nations in real life. Who is to say that Hungary won't dominate again in 10 years time?

Only because they're the top nations in real life. Who is to say that Hungary won't dominate again in 10 years time?

Well, if that ever happens, I'm sure you will see players in the Hungarian league be awarded European titles.

Well, if that ever happens, I'm sure you will see players in the Hungarian league be awarded European titles.

Award for missing the point.

For my team to be in a position to win the CL twice it shows that there is talent. So, why is that not reflected in the awards?

I have already told you. European awards will not be awarded to any player playing in a small European league. You will have to take your complaints to UEFA, FIFA and the European press, I'm just telling you that this is the way it is, see ? Your Moldovian player will receive an Moldovian award, perhaps.

I have already told you. European awards will not be awarded to any player playing in a small European league. You will have to take your complaints to UEFA, FIFA and the European press, I'm just telling you that this is the way it is, see ? Your Moldovian player will receive an Moldovian award, perhaps.

This is 8 years in the future, so how are you judging the standard? You're basing your opinions on today's standards! Hence the whole Hungarian example.

Award for missing the point. For my team to be in a position to win the CL twice, it shows that there is talent. So, why is that not reflected in the awards?

Because your player STILL plays 44 games in a low-level league, so even if you win back-to-back Champions League all the recognition he can get comes from the Champions League exposure (I'm sure he's been in contention for CL-related awards).

Moldovan league is still poor, so to the "European Player of the Year" award still favours players who perform in highly competitive leagues.

Seriously, the Award system if indeed far from perfect, as it favours Players Reputation and CA over actual performance [i'm curious to see how many times Messi weren't actually the best but got the award anyway based on his CA/Rep].

But the day the Moldovan League topscorer will win the Balon d'Or or something similar, it'll mean the Awards are beyond repair

Is the Hungarian league rated as one of the top reputation leagues in your game? Why are you mad at me for anyway - I'm just telling you how this works :)

The day that the Hungarian league is rated as high as the leagues I have allready mentioned, then players from that league will start to receive European honours, I'm sure.

Award for missing the point.

For my team to be in a position to win the CL twice it shows that there is talent. So, why is that not reflected in the awards?

The league is the majority of football any player will play during a year, the other competitions are extra including international games. If it's based on how well each player performs against teams with high reputation, that makes sense. Otherwise some random Australian who scores 20 goals for his country against Samoa would win.

So over the course of every game your player has played compared to the Man Utd guy, who has played the best on average in the most amount of toughest matches? You have to apply a weighting based on opposition, and that goes for all competitive games played.

His international goals might have been against smaller nations, and CL goals/performances against smaller clubs in the earlier stages. And the fact that he's playing in a schoolboy quality league should mean that any league performance is insignificant.

Also, "9 years in the future" is nowhere near long enough to shift the balance in football, not even with Dynamic League Reputation working at full speed.

At most your success can gain a couple of places for Moldovan clubs in Europe, but the league reputation won't skyrocket.

Netherlands have been European Champions, have been World Cup Runner-ups, Dutch clubs have won Champions League but would you honestly say the Dutch League was EVER better than one of the Big Four?

Because your player STILL plays 44 games in a low-level league, so even if you win back-to-back Champions League all the recognition he can get comes from the Champions League exposure (I'm sure he's been in contention for CL-related awards).

Moldovan league is still poor, so to the "European Player of the Year" award still favours players who perform in highly competitive leagues.

Seriously, the Award system if indeed far from perfect, as it favours Players Reputation and CA over actual performance [i'm curious to see how many times Messi weren't actually the best but got the award anyway based on his CA/Rep].

But the day the Moldovan League topscorer will win the Balon d'Or or something similar, it'll mean the Awards are beyond repair

The Moldovan league is actually ranked 12th (3 stars) in Europe, so I don't think you can call it 'poor'.

12th is not high enough to be considered for European awards to players in it. When you get to 4th, you will. But I seriously doubt that will happen in the forseeable future :)

Anyway - who is ranking it the 12th best in Europe? Certainly not UEFA.

You have to apply a weighting based on opposition, and that goes for all competitive games played.

This is exactly how it works; the leagues are weighted. So much so that it's next to impossible for a player that plays in the Moldovan, Hungarian, Swedish, Scottish or Turkish leagues to be even considered for a European best player award. And frankly, I think it's all right - it is after all MUCH harder to be exceptionally good if you play in the Premier League than if you play in the Norwegian Tippeliga ;) The competition and the opposition is MUCH harder in the best leagues.

The league is the majority of football any player will play during a year, the other competitions are extra including international games. If it's based on how well each player performs against teams with high reputation, that makes sense. Otherwise some random Australian who scores 20 goals for his country against Samoa would win.

So over the course of every game your player has played compared to the Man Utd guy, who has played the best on average in the most amount of toughest matches? You have to apply a weighting based on opposition, and that goes for all competitive games played.

His international goals might have been against smaller nations, and CL goals/performances against smaller clubs in the earlier stages. And the fact that he's playing in a schoolboy quality league should mean that any league performance is insignificant.

I qualified for the Group Stages automatically (1 automatic and 1 non-Champions play-off) through the league (and winning the CL the season before).

UkYu8.jpg

I think we can put that theory to bed, though.

12th is not high enough to be considered for European awards to players in it. When you get to 4th, you will. But I seriously doubt that will happen in the forseeable future :)

Anyway - who is ranking it the 12th best in Europe? Certainly not UEFA.

In-game competition rankings. All of this discussion has been about in-game events (except the hypothetical Hungarian dominance).

Listen, Thomas etc; It does not matter if your team has won the CL a number of times - it's the league you play in on a daily basis that counts for European awards. Your players may get CL specific awards, as someone already said - but not European Best Player. It won't happen. Untill your league is rated amongst the very best in Europe. FM awards are based on the same weighting as UEFA and FIFA does, because they are meant to emulate the real life European awards. If you don't like it, write to UEFA and complain. It has nothing to do with me, or anyone else - not even SI :)

SI have no reason to "fix" the awards -other than, as someone already said, that awards seems to be more based upon high CA's than what the player has actually performed on the pitch thru the season.

I think we can put that theory to bed, though.

Ignoring the fact that you conveniently ignored the rest of my post, that's my point isn't it. You're saying that he deserves it because he's scored in a premium competition (The CL) against top opponents? If someone had scored the same amount of goals in the Europa League to take his team to the cup title, why would he be any different? Because it's a lower competition and his goals against that level of opposition isn't worth as much.

Think of it as a hidden points tally system where points are acquired based on average rating, goals and assists and reputation of opposition. Now taking in to account all the different competitions the player can play in, domestic, European and internationally, it's easy to see why people in a much better league who regularly play against teams of a good reputation would earn more "points", than someone who only plays a few games in a couple of big reputation competitions.

Listen, Thomas etc; It does not matter if your team has won the CL a number of times - it's the league you play in on a daily basis that counts for European awards. Your players may get CL specific awards, as someone already said - but not European Best Player. It won't happen. Untill your league is rated amongst the very best in Europe. FM awards are based on the same weighting as UEFA and FIFA does, because they are meant to emulate the real life European awards. If you don't like it, write to UEFA and complain. It has nothing to do with me, or anyone else - not even SI :)

SI have no reason to "fix" the awards -other than, as someone already said, that awards seems to be more based upon high CA's than what the player has actually performed on the pitch thru the season.

Contradictory?

Contradictory?

Not in the way you'd like to think!

Sometimes the awards go to the player with the highest CA/Reputation while there's probably a more deserving candidate.

But you can bet the "other candidate" is NOT a guy scoring buckets of goals for Helsingborg or for Ballymena Utd!

While the awards aren't perfect, they'd be a lot worse if someone in the 12th ranked league won. In real life terms that would be like saying that the best player in the Belgium league should get the award ahead of Messi/Ronaldo/whoever.

I think we can all agree that that makes little sense - and let's be honest, apart from the Belgians here, how many of us could even name a number of players in the Belgian league?

While the awards aren't perfect, they'd be a lot worse if someone in the 12th ranked league won. In real life terms that would be like saying that the best player in the Belgium league should get the award ahead of Messi/Ronaldo/whoever.

I think we can all agree that that makes little sense - and let's be honest, apart from the Belgians here, how many of us could even name a number of players in the Belgian league?

Fair enough, but I think his European exploits would earn a few fans who would then show more of an interest in the Moldovan game. Perhaps I'm partisan because I can see how amazing the player is.

Not really the same scenario.

The equivilent to the OP would be if Messi was playing in Belgium, and his team won the Champions League, and he did well for Argentina, should he still win European player of the year?

No. Not untill he was measured and tested against much tougher opposition than the Belgian league offers.

Are we agreeing on that?

That's the point I'm trying to make. Even if Anderlecht or whoever do well in the CL, the Belgian league will still be seen as obscure and the players will be viewed as not having proved themselves by the fans of the "bigger" leagues.

You don't have to be a "fan of the bigger leagues" really, do you? It's common sense, in my view. I myself is from a nation with a league that is ranked in the middle of the European hierarchy, but I would find it very strange if a player from "my" league was proclaimed Best European Player of the Year - even if he had been insanely good all season. The league is too small, the end.

What about a player who is already performing to a high standard, and moves to a smaller league and carries on being epic for club and country?

So Messi wins European player of the year for Barca. Then, next season he moves to TNS in the Welsh Premier League, where he scores 200 goals in the season, and single handedly carries TNS to the Champions League title (scoring a hat-trick in the final against Real Madrid) whilst winning the world cup with Argentina.

If he moved to the Welsh league he would decline as a player rapidly, don't you think? In order to be good, to hone your skills, you have to have good opposition - if you play against poor opposition, you will lose it ... fast. That's what I think.

lol

Here's an example that's maybe not quite Messi in the Welsh league, but an actual real player, but one that I doubt most football fans outside of Austria/Rome will know - although I might be wrong. Michael Konsel was a world class keeper who played for Rapid Vienna in the Austrian leagues for most of his career, with a final season at AS Roma in '97 where he was goalkeeper of the season and voted into the Roma All Star Team of All Time (like the best 11 in FM I guess). He played in two CWC finals, racked up a decent amount of caps and was undoubtedly a world class keeper (not quite Schmeichel standards, but not far off either). However, by virtue of spending most of his career playing in the Austrian league, he probably failed to gain much recognition outside of Austria.

I know that he was great, because I saw him play, but apart from the CWC finals and maybe the odd appearance for the national team, no one in other countries ever saw him play and the Austrian league isn't that different from the Belgian in terms of stature. I somehow doubt he'd make most people's "top 10 keepers of the last 25 years".

So does the fact that he played brilliantly is European competitions make up for the fact that he played in what is a "poor" domestic league? Would it have been realistic for him to be awarded European keeper of the year? Probably not, irrespective of how good he actually was.

If he moved to the Welsh league he would decline as a player rapidly, don't you think? In order to be good, to hone your skills, you have to have good opposition - if you play against poor opposition, you will lose it ... fast. That's what I think.

No, I dont agree. Every once in a while one athlete in a sport towers over everyone else..be it Pele in footie or Babe Ruth in baseball. I dont think they will lose ability because they play the game at a different level than everyone else.

@sjm We don't really know how good he was. Not untill he had to save shots from Drogba, Van Persie, Higuain and Totti week in and week out, playing under the enormous pressure of one of the top leagues.

I have quite a few similar examples from my own country - goalkeepers that had godlike stature in the local league, and that people thought would be world stars if they only got the chance - but we can't really know - not really - if they were up to scratch before they actually had proven themselves on the big stage, and for several seasons, I might add.

Do you want a win button as well?

Dumb post of the year. What does my post have to do with yours?

Winning matches and choosing award winners have nothing in common. Humans are also usually better at choosing who is objectively better to win awards than an insufficient AI.

Dumb post of the year. What does my post have to do with yours?

Winning matches and choosing award winners have nothing in common. Humans are also usually better at choosing who is objectively better to win awards than an insufficient AI.

Because having your players winning awards is a measure of your success. If you choose that your player is the best yourself, then it is meaningless. As would be winning matches because you've deemed you should have.

And objectivity is in scant supply on these boards.

Because having your players winning awards is a measure of your success. If you choose that your player is the best yourself, then it is meaningless. As would be winning matches because you've deemed you should have.

And objectivity is in scant supply on these boards.

I am not referring to sheer ego driven nonsense. The AI is flawed and many a time an unwarranted player wins awards.

Just why the hell shouldnt paid customers get to override a dysfunctional AI and perhaps pick more appropriate award candidates?

I've had many times where my player will come 2nd or 3rd or not even receive recognition for an award even though he scored more, assisted more, and got a higher rating than the winner. And I manage a world class team.

I think it makes sense, no matter how good you are you won't be awarded best European player. When you get Moldova into the top 4 or 5 leagues, which undoubtedly you will, then you will start to see this being 'fixed'

I think the problem is that the whole scenario is completely unrealistic. There's no way a player of this quality would hang around in the Moldovan League for a sustained period and a Moldovan team would never get the chance to be good enough to win multiple CL trophies. The game is not designed to deal with something like that hence the lack of recognition. The argument that he's not doing it against the big guys definitely doesn't hold here because any player who gets a hat-trick in the CL final after scoring 2 against Juventus, 4 against Arsenal and AC Milan in the earlier stages would be in the discussion for major individual awards.

Archived