Maybe the veterans are right after all

Ahem, my name is Gyoza Gombastique, and I'm an FM conspiracy theorist. Results are scripted, the AI is way better at finishing, the game gives you injuries if it thinks you're doing too well, (insert everything else you've heard here). BUT, I'd like to share 3 results that happened within a couple of months of each other.

I used to think crazy comebacks and last-minute goals were the domain of the AI. Then:

2j0ni9s.jpg

Shortly afterward...

28gse3a.jpg

Then I reached the penultimate game of the season: a home game against 4th-placed Southend (we were two points clear of them in 2nd). Win, and we would be guaranteed promotion. Lose, and it'd be out of our hands. We were in the middle of a mini-slump - our last 5 home games (against midtable sides and relegation fodder) read DWXLD. To make matters worse, they were lining up in a 4-1-2-2-1: the natural enemy of my preferred 4-2-3-1. So I decided to do something I'd never done - watch the full match and make plenty of little tweaks over the course of the game.

2rnehro.jpg

Didn't play spectacularly, but I totally out-chessed them.

Maybe the SI apologists have a point!

Not posting this to brag (okay, fine, just a little!) but I consider myself to be kinda pants at tactics so a bit of encouragement to everyone who's frustrated with the game or thinks it cheats :)

It doesn't cheat- what you've posted happens all the time in the game. Sometimes we win when we shouldn't and lose when we should. People just remember when they feel ripped off a lot more than they remember being relieved that they got a win that wasn't deserved.

It doesn't cheat- what you've posted happens all the time in the game. Sometimes we win when we shouldn't and lose when we should. People just remember when they feel ripped off a lot more than they remember being relieved that they got a win that wasn't deserved.

I think that is what OP is trying to say. Although it often seems as though the AI cheats, that is only because in the spur of the moment of a devastating loss, you cannot remember all those times times that you're team snuck a win or a draw when it probably shouldn't have. OP is just showing that, in truth, the match engine is just swings and roundabouts, like the game of football itself really.

FM conspiracy theorist? :lol:

Results are scripted

False.

the AI is way better at finishing

False.

the game gives you injuries if it thinks you're doing too well

Sort of true, as if you have a really good side, teams will tackle your players harder, which can result in more injuries. But it's not 'the game being out to stop you doing too well'.

If this is a tongue in cheek thread though, then very well played.

Nowait, all the stuff in the first paragraph is what I sometimes think... but look at the three screenshots: the first one shows my team coming back from two goals down to win after a penalty in the final minute of injury time. The second shows me scoring with all three of my shots (all CCC). The third was an unexpected win due to observing the full highlights and tweaking accordingly. So I'm conceding my conspiracy theorying ways :)

Bayern got cheated by the match engine last night in my game... hang on I wasn't playing FM last night!?!?

It gave me flash backs of every time I've played Chelsea and the old man comes on in the 75th minute!

Seriously, this is a major bug and SI need to sort it out else we will never have real German teams in the game...

i manage to comeback from 2 or 3-0 leads all the time.. its all a matter of the right changes at the right time... and seeing how the opposition are playing

I always that it was a matter of hitting overload going 4-2-4, turning game to full speed and only commentary, going to get a snack and coming back hoping to see a win. Happens far more often than it should.

Archived