Are Work Permits Realistic?

I am in third season with QPR and tried to sign Arshavin great player had him a few times before. Offer accepted, contract accepted, work permit rejected then work permit appeal rejected. I am certain in real life if a Premier league team tried to sign him his work permit would not get rejected ever. I am sure he is a regular for his national side.

I mean in real life Man Utd agreed the transfer of those two fullback brothers on FM they would never get a work permit or have they got a second nationality.

I did manage to get a replacement a bit younger than Arshavin so should be okay but he was the player I wanted. So is the work permit system on the game true to real life or not?

I am in third season with QPR and tried to sign Arshavin great player had him a few times before. Offer accepted, contract accepted, work permit rejected then work permit appeal rejected. I am certain in real life if a Premier league team tried to sign him his work permit would not get rejected ever. I am sure he is a regular for his national side.

I mean in real life Man Utd agreed the transfer of those two fullback brothers on FM they would never get a work permit or have they got a second nationality.

I did manage to get a replacement a bit younger than Arshavin so should be okay but he was the player I wanted. So is the work permit system on the game true to real life or not?

I don't even see how that should occur seeing as russia competes in UEFA comps, their player should be able to move across Europe. The rules are so dodgy in real life, it's difficult to draw the line between acceptable and not. I've had similar cases before, and I'm sure all FMers have but it's something to deal with. Just so you know, Arshavin is playing for Newcastle in my game, which I'm sure will annoy you!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't even see how that should occur seeing as russia competes in UEFA comps, their player should be able to move across Europe. The rules are so dodgy in real life, it's difficult to draw the line between acceptable and not. I've had similar cases before, and I'm sure all FMers have but it's something to deal with. Just so you know, Arshavin is playing for Newcastle in my game, which I'm sure will annoy you!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes it worse that I am a Sunderland fan in real life, so knowing he is at Newcastle makes me really happy lol. I have signed him before for Sunderland a couple of times just seems random sometimes. Like i said hopefully the Argentinian I signed who is a few years younger may end up being better so i will have won, hopefully.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Mann:

I don't even see how that should occur seeing as russia competes in UEFA comps, their player should be able to move across Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Work permits are not a football-only thing, they exist for all jobs. That means that it isn't a case of "compete in European competitions = don't need work permit".

As far as I am aware (i.e. I might be wrong), work permits are a European Union thing, therefore anyone who holds EU citizenship does not require a work permit.

Russia, Slovakia, and the like are not part of the European Union, and therefore require work permits.

A list of current EU member states can be found here.

Walrus is correct Russia as a non EU country doesn't follow those rules and work permits are needed, as for why it was declinded i have no idea, perhaps he hasn't played in a high enough percentage of his coutnries recent internationals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AcidBurn:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know much about the detail of the deal irl but in FM they are listed as Portugese. They reason that they have global ban in game is U18 Brazilian are not allowed to play in Europe. It's similar to Pato's case.

To get work permit sometimes you need luck for that. Arshavin might be in the national squad but might not play in the match during the time you apply for the work permit. Like Ben said, sometimes it's hard to tell if he's get one or not.

Work permit is meant to protect the market for domestic people (or EU due to free labor move). Australia is an example of a country which Chinese and Japanese immigrants used to dominate the job market. Eu probably don't want Russian to do that either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Mann:

I don't even see how that should occur seeing as russia competes in UEFA comps, their player should be able to move across Europe. The rules are so dodgy in real life, it's difficult to draw the line between acceptable and not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that comment was so funny i nearly burst my gut.

and it's nothing dodgy about work permit. it was aim to protect jobs for the local.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Russia, Slovakia, and the like are not part of the European Union, and therefore require work permits.

A list of current EU member states can be found here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you should read this page icon_smile.gif

According to that unless I missed it Norway is not part of the EU as it is not on the list but you do not need work permits for players from Norway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> and it's nothing dodgy about work permit. it was aim to protect jobs for the local. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good old Britian no jobs for people outside the EU but if you are from Poland get you ass over here now if you want a job.

THe problem with FM (and all computer games) is that the rules have to be coded into the game. They rigid within the boundaries of the game.

In Real life a club would be able to (and do) talk and negotiate to gain a work permit for any player they wanted. it is very rare a player wont get a work permit to play in the top league across europe if they have any experience of international football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaunO1:

In Real life a club would be able to (and do) talk and negotiate to gain a work permit for any player they wanted. it is very rare a player wont get a work permit to play in the top league across europe if they have any experience of international football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that may be true, the biggest factor is that real life clubs know the rules and don't go in for players that have absolutely no chance of getting a work permit. The ones that do get rejected (and there are plenty of examples of players getting work permits rejected) are marginal cases that could have gone either way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> While that may be true, the biggest factor is that real life clubs know the rules and don't go in for players that have absolutely no chance of getting a work permit. The ones that do get rejected (and there are plenty of examples of players getting work permits rejected) are marginal cases that could have gone either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely a player of Arshavins quality would get a work permit in real life even if he hasn't played the ammount of internationals required.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AcidBurn:

According to that unless I missed it Norway is not part of the EU as it is not on the list but you do not need work permits for players from Norway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> and it's nothing dodgy about work permit. it was aim to protect jobs for the local. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good old Britian no jobs for people outside the EU but if you are from Poland get you ass over here now if you want a job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We could quite easily go over to Poland and steal theirs...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We could quite easily go over to Poland and steal theirs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldnt go watch Crewe Alex play then not sure if thats good or bad though. I suppose theres less chance of being beaten up by hoodies over there though.

Would it be worth trying again for Arshavin might get a bit of luck second time round.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We could quite easily go over to Poland and steal theirs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldnt go watch Crewe Alex play then not sure if thats good or bad though. I suppose theres less chance of being beaten up by hoodies over there though.

Would it be worth trying again for Arshavin might get a bit of luck second time round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just make sure you support the right football team over there icon_wink.gif

According to that unless I missed it Norway is not part of the EU as it is not on the list but you do not need work permits for players from Norway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because they're members of the European Economic Area. Likewise with Iceland. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's because they're members of the European Economic Area. Likewise with Iceland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wondered when someone would answer cheers dude.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strictly it's not the EU that defines whether a player needs a work permit or not. There's slightly larger economic affiliation which includes all the EU countries, Norway and Iceland (can't remmeber the rest off the top of my head, too lazy to google) are definitely part of this and for some reason Switzerland, who is not a member of either, gets special status as well.

Yes they are realistic. If the country lets in any old trash then its crap for the economy. Unless a player has shown his worth on the international stage then its very difficult for them to get a work permit.

It does somtimes backfire. Ronaldo (the real ronaldo) was going to sign for Arsenal from PSV but his work permit would not be granted and so went to PSG. Likewise with Ronaldinho, he was refused a work permit to play for Arsenal and went to PSG. Vela was signed and had to be loaned out for two years to gain his work permit. Unless they are proven to be beneficial to the economy then they will be refused.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Likewise with Ronaldinho, he was refused a work permit to play for Arsenal and went to PSG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its really interesting the Ronaldinho and PSG "marriage".

After arsenal wouldnt touch him with a barge poll, (See Passports , Dodgy and Sylvinho, massive loss on) the transfer from Gremio to PSG was agreed.

He was all set to join PSG when the transfer fee was brought into question between the two clubs. Ronaldinho was in a sort of limbo unable to complete the transfer to PSG and being frozen out at Gremio(He stated many times that he didnt want to play for gremio).

A solution was reached upon where the player would go out on loan for the rest of the season to get match fitness and to get used to the European calender. The deal was agreed and all set to go through when the club got cold feet and pulled out due to the passport scandel exploding.

The Team :

The might (Relegation-threatened) SPL side St Mirren

Arshavin is playing for Newcastle in my game, which I'm sure will annoy you!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Portsmouth on mine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A solution was reached upon where the player would go out on loan for the rest of the season to get match fitness and to get used to the European calender. The deal was agreed and all set to go through when the club got cold feet and pulled out due to the passport scandel exploding.

The Team :

The might (Relegation-threatened) SPL side St Mirren </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Ronaldinho could have played for St Mirren for a season? Now thats crazy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soundian:

Strictly it's not the EU that defines whether a player needs a work permit or not. There's slightly larger economic affiliation which includes all the EU countries, Norway and Iceland (can't remmeber the rest off the top of my head, too lazy to google) are definitely part of this and for some reason Switzerland, who is not a member of either, gets special status as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liechtenstein is the other one.

According to the article I linked above, "Switzerland is linked to the European Union by Swiss-EU bilateral agreements", which would explain it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:.

Russia, Slovakia, and the like are not part of the European Union, and therefore require work permits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm slovakia are part of the EU.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paduardo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:.

Russia, Slovakia, and the like are not part of the European Union, and therefore require work permits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm slovakia are part of the EU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, yes. Sorry, I meant Croatia. I was talking to someone about Slovakia at the time, and you know how it is, sometimes your mind mixes up the two things... :p

Archived