Conceding from most corners and defensive free kicks.

I have everybody back marking tall marking tall etc other just marking with one on each post and yet they always score. It's about 3 a game I'm letting in. I'm just scraping by with draws. Surely this is a problem ? Or is there something I'm missing?

Well first off approx one in three goals come from set pieces and this ratio could be higher if you have a strong defensive tactic so you should expect to concede some goals from set pieces.

Other questions would include How big is your team?

How big are the other teams?

Do you have a weakness in the air?

Why do you pull back small players who can't defend/clear balls?

Hi thanks for the reply. I am north ferriby so all the players are poor, saying that I have a good team one of the best of the division. Small players to get in the way and hinder attackers movement. They have scored 10 out of 12 goals from defensive set pieces in 7 games so only 2 are 'normal' goals. The other teams are quite poor. Do you think it could be bad luck?

Hi thanks for the reply. I am north ferriby so all the players are poor, saying that I have a good team one of the best of the division. Small players to get in the way and hinder attackers movement. They have scored 10 out of 12 goals from defensive set pieces in 7 games so only 2 are 'normal' goals. The other teams are quite poor. Do you think it could be bad luck?

Conceding 12 goals in 7 games isn't a bad record, how are the other teams doing for conceding?

Despite the real world current trend of pulling everyone back I've always been of the school which pushes players forward who can't defend/head leaving more room for the real defenders to get to the ball. I always have two players forward, sometimes three but FM doesn't really handle three forward too well.

At the league you are playing in your players are going to have poor skills anyway so I would expect that alongside any small players you have you also have others that lack strength or mental ability (anticipation etc).

My advice would be push a couple forward - small attacking players (often wingers/poachers etc), don't use mark tall/mark small (I don't think FM handles it well), man mark for good markers, just "back" orders on rest (except posts) and see if it improves.

Cheers I'll try that. Maybe 12 in 7 isn't too bad but the way it happens seems like a bug it's just really good fortune on their part. Someone always pops up from the back post and knocks it in or the ball hits my guy and they pounce.

Archived